It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• what does slightly high than normal mean...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User
    what does slightly high than normal mean...

I had my yearly check up a few days ago and mentioned to my doctor about an issue with reoccuring yeast infections that I've been having lately. He went on about some different things that could be causing it. Then proceeded to order blood work to check for diabetes. I don't have diabetes in my family, but went ahead with the blood work.

Anyway, I called and the nurse read me the results and at the time you aren't sure what to ask. She did mention that my count was slightly higher than normal. What does that mean. Is that good? When I told my mom about what she had to say, she mentioned that I wanted it to be lower than normal not higher.

Guess I am going to call the nurse again Monday and have her explain it to me. They read off results without much explaination like your going to know what all those numbers mean. I'm going to ask her again for the results and if slightly high than normal is anything I should be concerned about. She didn't seem to concerned or have any further instructions for me. any insight to the nurses response? I've been thinking about it all weekend. I tried calling on friday but the office was closed friday. I'm sure its nothing I need to worry about, but I do have other heath issues and I am one that stays on top of things when it comes to health.

I just want to know if I need to do anything else or if I should have it checked again in a couple of months. It was kind of awful timing anyway for blood work. It was mid morning and I was starving. The only thing I'd eatten was a bowl of oatmeal. Could that have thrown my count a bit?

Who knows...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: what does slightly high than normal mean...

A fasting blood test is used to diagnose diabetes. You would be wise to request a fasting test.

If you really do have higher than normal blood sugar, reducing carbohydrates and exercising daily will most likely bring it back to normal. I have been controlling via diet/exercise for 10 years.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Whether or not the oatmeal breakfast could have affected your blood glucose test results depends on what type of test they did. If it was just a one-time blood glucose count, then yes, it could have (oatmeal, while very good for us, is also very high in carbs.) On the other hand, if the blood glucose test was an HbA1c (also called a glyco-hemoglobin test), then what you at that date has no affect, as the A1c measures your average glucose over the past 8-12 weeks.

If the test was a one time blood glucose test, then it could have been high based on what you ate that morning. That test is only helpful diagnostically if it's done after fasting for 8-12 hours. If it was an A1c and it was slightly high, then it means you may be pre-diabetic.

This should definitely be followed up. Often in women, frequent yeast infections are the first sign of diabetes or pre-diabetes. For now, try eating a lower-carb diet and see if that helps clear up the yeast infections, since a lower-carb diet would be indicated anyway for pre-diabetes.

Ruth

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

I did call the nurse back. She said my a1c count was 5.7 and my glucose was 124.63. She said I was at the high end of normal. I am going to cut back on carbs. That's so hard to do though. Everything has carbs in them. I love my breads and I love my pasta and crackers. I'm a salty sweet person. I like a little salt in the morning then a little something sweet about mid morning.

She didn't mention anything about following up on the test, but I might contact my family doctor at the end of the summer and see what he suggest. I will try and alter my diet a little bit, but dang all the good stuff for us is so much more expensive and harder to come by.

I thank y'all for the suggestions and I will keep you posted. Aging is hard to adjust to. I'm 35 and it seems everything starts to change around 32 or 33. Their was a time when you could eat anything you wanted and not worry about it, then it all seems to change over night and you have to start watching what you eat.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
    pitstopmettee
    (female)

pitstopmettee HB User

Not so much an answer to first question & I don't know your age but I and a several of my friends had a real problem as we neared meoapause with yeast infections. We are all stright & married females. My first yeast infection IN MY Life was maybe a year before I stopped having periods. For that year I had Y.I. constantly-- most of my friends also. Dr. said "phooy" but we all disagree.
    We also experienced some extremely heavy and painful periods mixed with some easy and short ones.We had always been regular in those areas before this time in our lives. Our hormonal feelings, like the tension women sometimes feel just before they start turned into "I am Ready to jump off the bridge if I don't start soon" this happened too almost every month. Thank heaven I quit early(42.) One month I had a period-- and then NEVER another one! Maybe this isn't you- if so--sorry. Just a suggestion hormones can do a lot of strange things and I firmly believe yeast infections can be part of it!

Closed Thread