It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Weak arms and legs always hungry help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
    helpmeplease3
    (male)

helpmeplease3 HB User
    Weak arms and legs always hungry help

Hello I'm a 20 year old male. Everyday I wake up feeling hungry and there is a tingling feeling in my arms and legs constantly through out the day. After I eat the symptoms usually subside, but they come again after a couple hours and I need to eat again to stop them. I'm 6'1 and 155 lbs and do not gain weight despite me eating a lot . Other symptoms I am getting are, a racing heart even when I am doing no activity, heart palpitations, and a severly coated tongue that needs to be scrapped a coule times a day of gunk. I have anxiety and suicidal thoughts because of the way I'm feeling, but I don't think anxiety is the problem because I suffer from these problems when I don't feel anxious. I went to the doctor and got blood work done twice, and nothing showed up, my sugar levels were fine. My thoughts are, adrenaline leaking into my body somehow, stomach ulcer, thyroid(even thought tests were normal), parasite. The doctor gave me xanax, however that does not help. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Weak arms and legs always hungry help

Don't know about the coated tongue, but since the blood work for diabetes was normal, it's possible that you actually have reactive hypoglycemia. You might want to try eating a higher protein, lower carb diet, as this keeps your blood sugar levels more stable. Even snacks should contain some protein, as eating just carbohydrates without protein can cause your body to produce too much insulin, which results in a corresponding low. If you eat protein, which takes the body much longer to break down, the insulin has something to work on (not to mention the fact that protein won't cause your body to produce as much insulin as carbs will.)

Try doing a search for "hypoglycemic diet", follow it for a couple of weeks, and see how you feel.

Ruth

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
    helpmeplease3
    (male)

helpmeplease3 HB User

Thank you Ruth, I have tried what you recommended and it has gotten a little better, but I still feel these symptoms.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

I have had very similar symptoms. You can read my thread (beware its long) on the Lupus health board and my blog (just started it). I have been very sick and come to find out it was reactive hypoglycemia all along. It has taken me a long time to recover, and diet alone didn't work. Of course, I am still trying to figure it out- what foods bother me and what doesn't. A food and symptom diary might help.

What was happening with me in the beginning was that adrenaline was being secreted when my BS got too low at night in response to my larger carb. evening meal. The adrenaline causes the liver to release glycogen to bring up the blood sugar. My blood pressure spiked each time. An overactive sympathetic nervous system can be the cause, as it was in my case. An over active sympathetic nervous system can be the result from a lot of things such as endocrine problems (thyroid, adrenal glands etc.), hormone secreting tumors, serotonin deficiencies, and even stress. I suspect dieting, taking pseudophedrine (nasal decongestant), and lots of caffeinated sodas didn't help things.

I had a 6 hour glucose tolerance test to confirm my suspicions. Your doctor would be the best one to decide if that is necessary.

Things that helped me: Eliminating stimulants such as caffeine, decongestants, chocolate. Eating regular meals in moderation (no high carb foods such as those with starches, and those made with white flour and sugars), limiting fruits, eating frequent small higher protein snacks (like nuts, seeds, and lower fat cheeses), and taking a stress reduction class. I also eat a snack before I get out of bed in the morning, and upon retiring for the night. I also am taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that has helped with the feelings of anxiety and heart palpitations that the extra adrenaline was causing.

I even had the white- coated tongue you described. It could be a fungal infection, called thrush- so you might check with your doctor. He can prescribe a swish and swallow medication that should help if that's the case. Thrush can be caused by taking antibiotics or steroids, either orally or from the use of an inhaler. It can also be an indication of a weakened immune system. I just made sure to brush my tongue when I brushed my teeth, and it has gone away.

Hope my suggestions help.
    Best Regards,
    Nan

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 06-16-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additions for clarity

Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
    helpmeplease3
    (male)

helpmeplease3 HB User

Nan, all of those symptoms completely describe me. I guess my next step would be getting the glucose tolerant test. I really appreciate you're response.

Closed Thread