It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Should I consult a Doctor?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 1
2bigpeas HB User
Should I consult a Doctor?

I'll try and make this brief. Im a 37 yr.old female. I'm not overweight, but on the higher end of "normal."

I was diagnosed w/ high blood pressure at 30; no family history. Don't drink or smoke. Controlling it w/ Beta Blockers.

At 35, I felt like i had the flu for 3 months or so before going to my PCP. Joint pain was the worst symptom. Fatigue, and hair loss a close second, and third.

Blood test showed neg. Flu, but positive ANA antibodies. Went to a Rheum. and had more tests. Positive for DS DNA. Lupus diagnosed w/ meds.
The problem is that I don't feel like I have Lupus. Aside from clinical findings, there are no physical symptoms.

Currently, I am having intermittant tingling, and numbness in my toes on both feet. My hands and toes are always cold, but not discolored.

I am shedding my hair a lot. I can see my scalp thru my thinning hair, but not balding or patches.

The oddest thing I have, is a constant sweet taste in my mouth. Almost as if I've sucked on candy made of equal or sweet in low. I can taste food, and drinks, but as soon as that flavor leaves the sweetness comes back.

I get dizzy frequently, and I've noticed my hands feel weak, and shaky before dinner- almost nightly.

I'm not overly thirsty, but urine output is more than what I drink. I am hungry constantly, and even though I have a sweet taste in my mouth, I'm craving more sweets.

Should I consult my Doctor? Should I mention Diabetes?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 250
peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User
Re: Should I consult a Doctor?

I think you should. Mention also Anemia and Hypothyroidism (for fatigue and hair loss).

A fasting blood glucose might not reveal if you have post-prandial high glucose levels. So I think a Glucose Tolerance Test might be more useful, preferably with C-peptide levels tested as well (both fasting and hourly).

For Anemia, your Hgb can be normal, but you still might have a latent form of it, like low Ferritin (if it's iron deficiency). For hypothyroidism, TSH is not enough. You'd need Free T3 and Free T4 levels tested as well. And it wouldn't harm if you had thyroid antibodies (both TPO and TG) tested.

Last edited by peace4; 03-20-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
frisbeefreak's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 182
frisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB User
Re: Should I consult a Doctor?

Some of those symptoms are of MS. Don't freak out I'm just throwing it out there to maybe look into yourself. Lupus and MS have symptoms closely related to each other.

Last edited by frisbeefreak; 04-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!