It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Type 2 Need advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1
lgm72 HB User
Need advice

I don't know really where to start so here goes....My 72 year old mother has been Type 2 since 1994. At first, she was very good about diet, exercise, and taking her blood sugar. Then she had in her mind that she didn't need to take her blood sugar. She would rely on "feelings" of lows or highs.....and candy would become her quick fix (M&M's) She would be very combative when we tried to get her to take it and keep up with it. My husband, who is a pharmacist, has even gotten her the latest and greatest monitor and still wouldn't do it....

Over the past 1-2 years, we have seen an increase in her sugar times that is what she would have as an entire meal and a decrease in proper diet and NO exercise. Her A1C is showing the results of this but still she won't listen. It is a constant fight and sadly, one that I feel won't change. She is in complete denial! We are starting to see rages that are becoming more and more frequent where she is getting physical with my Dad. She is having delusions. We know she is slowly killing herself.

I am not sure with HIPAA laws if trying to talk to her physicians will accomplish anything.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 3,582
SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Need advice

The HIPAA laws prevent a physician from giving YOU any information about your mother, but I don't think the law prevents YOU from giving information to your mother's physician. Given what's going on with your mother, and given that her blood sugar levels are probably so out of whack that it's affecting her mentally and physically, I think a call to her physician is definitely in order. You can just say something like, "I'm not sure what my mother is telling you, but she is no longer testing her bg's at all, and is eating entire meals consisting of nothing but sweets, not to mention the fact that she hasn't been exercising. She's becoming physically combative and I think she's even having hallucinations." Then you have to somehow get her in to see the doctor.

It's also possible that there are some mental changes going on that in itself is responsible for her lack of attention to her diabetes. She really should be evaluated ASAP by a physician and possibly a neurologist.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!