It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Diseases that mimic Diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
    db52993
    (male)

db52993 HB User
    Diseases that mimic Diabetes

Just took a blood test and got the results. My fasting glucose is 201. I know, its high. However, I also got tested my Insulin, C-Peptide and Ketones in urine. All of those came back as normal.

If my insulin is in normal range, why is my sugar so high? My doctor prescibed me Glimeperide (which i haven't been taking) which as I understand is suppose to make your pancreas to produce more insulin. It doesnt make sense becuase my insulin levels are already in normal range without the medication.

My question is, is it possible that there could be another issue at play here and not diabetes. Are there diseases that mimic diabetes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Diseases that mimic Diabetes

Nope. My guess is that you have T2 diabetes. Your pancreas produces insulin, but your body is insulin-resistant; therefore, whenever you eat, your body will produce more insulin, but your blood sugar will still go up.

You might want to ask your doctor if he would start you on a medication like metformin instead of glimeparide. Metformin reduces insulin-resistance and does not further stress the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

But whatever you take, a fasting of 200 is alarmingly high, and needs to be addressed fairly quickly so that you can avoid developing the complications of diabetes.

Ruth

Closed Thread

Tags
    diabetes, insulin, ketones