It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Type 1 Boyfriend diagnosed with Diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
    KT44323
    (female)

KT44323 HB User
    Question Boyfriend diagnosed with Diabetes

This week my boyfriend was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1. He had been sick for the last month (dehydrated, hungry, exhausted, blurred vision, drastic weight loss) and we couldn't figure out why until I did some research and panicked at the fact he may have diabetes. I only panicked because he wasn't getting the medical attention he needed, plus I'm 1,200 miles away so it's hard to know that he's physically ok.
    Anyways, now that he's found out he is very down on himself. Frustrated with the fact that he needs to give himself insulin shots 3x/day for the rest of his life. I'm doing my best to he supportive, encouraging, and understanding of the situation. I've even decided to eat a 'diabetic friendly diet,' so when we do live with one another it won't be a difficult adjustment. Each day is getting a little more difficult because I can feel he's distancing himself, and even assumed since he was diagnosed that I wouldn't stick around. Obviously, I'm not going anywhere and I'm trying to give him time to adjust to this new lifestyle since he's still in denial about the situation. He tells me he doesn't want to take the insulin shots (he does though) and I try to be encouraging, that it's manageable and the fact that he'll feel so much better.
    Can anyone give me detailed information on what I need to know about Diabetes? I've been doing as much research as possible to understand what he's dealing with/going through. Also, I'd appreciate information on common diets.

The following user gives a hug of support to KT44323:
    movielover40 (11-22-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
    Cool Re: Boyfriend diagnosed with Diabetes

Getting into the routine of homecooking healthy, higher fiber 'whole' foods (instead of triggering roller coaster blood sugar levels from consuming refined, processed foods, most especially those high in assorted sugars), and going really easy on 'juices' (a six ounce glass is two servings of fruit, once a day's enough imo).

The injections should suffice in combination with healthy eating practices, the rest is acceptance (a psychological issue). He's probably thinking you're not getting what you bargained for so he doesn't deserve you. Why would you hang around a 'sickie'? Of course, so long as he takes his injections, he's as healthy as you or I.

I anticipate you'll need to plug away for quite some time at assuring him that his treatable health condition has not altered your view of him or your relationship. And, that you expect him to take proper care of himself for both your sakes.

sf

Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Boyfriend diagnosed with Diabetes

Maybe your boyfriend could get online and come here for support for himself? A diagnosis of diabetes can be quite overwhelming at first, but nowadays diabetes can be managed so well that one no longer needs to fear complications as long as one puts in the effort to keep the numbers down.

And, that effort is way harder at first, when you're trying to figure out exactly what works for you. I started out on three shots a day, now I'm on an insulin pump. It's so much easier on the pump, but you really need to learn a bit about how insulin works and how to manage carbohydrates in your diet before going on a pump...but that can happen within a couple of months if you're really motivated. After a fairly short while, it all becomes routine. Am I happy to have diabetes - no, of course not - but I'm so happy that I'm living in a time where treatment is so much better that I've survived nearly 30 years with absolutely no complications!

Please do encourage your boyfriend to find some sort of diabetic support group, either online or at his local hospital. As understanding as you may be (and you sound great!), no one really understands the feelings except others who are going through the same thing. You can be supportive...but sometimes it takes a bit more.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-16-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
    Tikicristi
    (female)

Tikicristi HB User
    Re: Boyfriend diagnosed with Diabetes

Hi there, how old are you and your boyfriend? I was diagnosed with type 1 as a senior in college, after just turning 21. It was very hard, especially so young and during that time of life. But I was compliant and did what I had to to manage my condition and now at age, 45, it is just another part of my life but in no way rules it or keeps me from doing anything I want. I am healthy and have no diabetic complications so far.

One thing that will help him most is educating himself about type 1. He needs to read everything he can about managing his condition. Books are best. Sometimes the Internet can scare you too much when you read horror stories. A support group or others with type 1 for him to talk to would be very helpful.

Also, once he gets his blood sugars regulated with shots, he can choose to go on an insulin pump. I did 8 years ago when I got pregnant with my first and only child. It was the best decision I ever made. No more daily shots, no carting around needles and insulin. I have much more freedom and flexibility and live a very normal life due to the pump. There are challenges and days I get down but for the most part, diabetes has become second nature for me. The shots suck at first but if he knows that a pump is an option once he's under control, that may help him cope and do what he needs to do to get his blood sugar under control.

Diet is also key as others have said, but remind him he can still eat like a normal person. The pump will allow much more flexibility with that. Counting carbs is important and eating healthy and exercise will be the best thing for him. Exercise can reduce the amount of insulin he needs.

I think it's wonderful you want to support and help him. But he has to make the changes himself and realize that this is with him for life and that he can lead a normal and fulfilling life, he just has to make some adjustments.

Good luck to you both.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tikicristi For This Useful Post:
    Cora1003 (11-22-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    boyfriend, denial, diabetes, type 1