It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Type 2 lowering sugar methods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
    Fred1930
    (male)

Fred1930 HB User
    lowering sugar methods

Are there any ways to get a high sugar reading down fast? I have heard one method is to drink large amounts of water. The idea is to flush the sugar from your body.Yes/No? Also several years ago I was prescribed Actos which lowered my daily counts dramatically including my A1C. Doctor took me off of Actos about 2years ago when all of the bad things came out about it. Went back on Metformin but having trouble getting the same results as Actos. What is a person to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: lowering sugar methods

The water flush is for ketones, not blood sugar. When your blood sugar is very high and your body is burning fat for fuel, ketones are produced. Ketones in combination with high blood sugar is a dangerous situation and can deteriorate into diabetic ketoacidosis, which is life-threatening. Drinking lots of water can help flush the ketones out.

As for lowering blood sugar when not on insulin, in the long term, eating a lower-carbohydrate diet and consistent exercise will help. In the short term, exercise will definitely help lower blood sugar levels, and fairly quickly at that.

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
    Fred1930 (10-01-2013)
    Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
    Firefly57
    (female)

Firefly57 HB User

My husband is Type 2 and I'm Pre Diabetic. We have found that plain Iceberg Lettuce will drop Glucose levels. Can't say how much or fast it will drop it for you. My husband has also taken a spoonful or two of vinegar and it seems to lower it also.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
    Vasyl
    (male)

Vasyl HB User

Hello. I am type 2 diabetes for a past 2 years. To reduce my B/G i usually use Vedanate. Its a natural herbal supplement.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I would be careful with all supplements. It is a growth industry and while the ingredients listed for the supplement are suspected of lowering glucose levels, they are typically not in the quantities required. Also, it is occuring more and more often these days that so called "natural supplements" contain things like metformin.

Also a recent Canadian study showed (through genetic testing) that 10 out of 12 popular supplements contained things that were not on the label.

In addition to all that, I'm sorry to say that Germany is now becoming known for medical scams. And this product seems to originate there. I have a German background and have nothing but respect for their scientific and medical expertise. But there are a lot of claims currently coming out of that country for a "cure".

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
    Vasyl
    (male)

Vasyl HB User

So, as i understood, most of herbal supplements are useless?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
    Vasyl
    (male)

Vasyl HB User

Hmm... i didn't read that vedanate contains metformin. Interesting. I will consult with my doctor. Thanks for this information

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I was pre-Diabetic and Insulin Resistant. Plus, I have heart failure and permanent Atrial Fibrillation.

I went on a sensible, low calorie, small meal, balanced diet and started an exercise program which included full pushups and weight lifting and... voilą!, my blood sugar is at healthy levels, my Insulin Resistance has dramatically improved and my failed, damaged heart is much better, too! How sweet it is! (so to speak)

As always... the best medications are healthy diet and daily, appropriate exercise.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 10-29-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Diet is always the key.

Exercise will also help keep it low throughout the day.

Best of luck..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I'm with Cora on the supplements. You need to be very careful where you get them and which ones you use. I'm not saying that supplements can't be good for you, but the problem is that the manufacture of supplements isn't regulated - they're not considered a food, nor are they considered a drug - and it's very difficult to tell exactly what's in them. Not only do you not know if you're getting the right amount of whatever supplement you think you need, but you also don't know what the filler ingredients are.

Additionally, and unfortunately, most supplements haven't been subjected to rigorous trials, so most of the "evidence" that they work is anecdotal.

Again, not saying one should never take supplements, but check the brand to make sure it's a reputable one.

Also, do remember that any claims that sound too good to be true usually are not true.

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
    Cora1003 (10-29-2013)
    Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
    Vasyl
    (male)

Vasyl HB User

hello there! i asked to my doctor about metfomin in natural suipplements. He told me that vedanate doesnt contain it.

Closed Thread