It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Healthy alternative to Diet Soda?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
    FatGuy1
    (male)

FatGuy1 HB User
    Healthy alternative to Diet Soda?

I've been drinking diet pop for a while now not knowing that it is not good for diabetics, I was reading that it may even cause diabetes. Is there anything out there that is healthy and does not increase blood sugar?

I have a hard time drinking water as it is just to plain. Is there such a thing as a healthy Soda/pop?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: Healthy alternative to Diet Soda?

I think it depends both on how much you drink, and who you choose to believe. I have yet to see a peer reviewed study that suggests diet soda can cause diabetes. In fact, with the aid of some diet soda (rather than full sugar stuff - esp. diet orange crush), a family member now has an a1c of 5.2% with no meds.

I believe in everything in moderation. If you are drinking more than a couple or a few cans per day, I don't think the chemicals are that good for you. I personally drink low sodium club soda with a small splash of Mio. It comes in a lot of yummy flavors.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
    FatGuy1
    (male)

FatGuy1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
    I think it depends both on how much you drink, and who you choose to believe. I have yet to see a peer reviewed study that suggests diet soda can cause diabetes. In fact, with the aid of some diet soda (rather than full sugar stuff - esp. diet orange crush), a family member now has an a1c of 5.2% with no meds.

I believe in everything in moderation. If you are drinking more than a couple or a few cans per day, I don't think the chemicals are that good for you. I personally drink low sodium club soda with a small splash of Mio. It comes in a lot of yummy flavors.
    I do drink way to much Diet soda, I'm trying to clean up my diet by drinking more water but it's hard...I'm surprised that Pepsi or Coke doesn't come out with a healthier alternative.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Try a splash of lime in your water. Or, try this. I have an infusion pitcher that I keep water in and use limes or other fruit in the column and that flavors the water. Also, green tea is a great alternative - try the caffeine free type and use fruit - lemon, lime, orange - in it.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
    jessiesmom88
    (female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User

I had to quit diet soda and most artificial sweeteners after finding out they were the cause of my migraines. I could polish off a 2 liter of it in a day. I started to drink flavored seltzer waters and have not missed my diet sodas. If you try them make sure you read the label and make sure they do not contain artificial sweeteners as they say it's the whole package of whats in diet sodas that is bad for you. I love cherry, lemon & lime and cranberry lime flavors. You can find them usually at the end of the soda aisles or near the waters. There are so many brands that contain sugar or sweeteners so as I mentioned..read those labels and give them a try.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
    LadyBassPlayer
    Inactive
    (female)

LadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB UserLadyBassPlayer HB User

This looks like an older thread but it is still open, so I'll post some info about diet soda in case anyone is reading this and can benefit from the info.
    I recently found a "diet" soda sweetened with Stevia that is supposedly "natural" it is called "Zevia" and comes in several flavors. Stevia is supposed to be better for you than aspartame or Splenda/sucralose. If you can't find Zevia in your local store you can actually buy it on ******. Hope that helps! (The creme soda is especially good)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
    jessiesmom88
    (female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User

Thanks for that info ladybassplayer..I have heard the big beverage companies have been trying to do this for awhile but I have never seen anyone come out with stevia yet. Stevia is the ONLY sugar sub I can use!! Going to check ******!! I consider a diet soda a treat since too much of those chemicals do give me migraines. Hubby was drinking a diet root beer last night and I was drooling for just a taste..lol. He was nice enough to give me a sip or two

Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
    mmisty
    (female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I stopped diet soda because of Osteopenoia. I drink filtered water with a small square of lemon & it does the trick for me.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
    Donna M
    (female)

Donna M HB User

Hi FatGuy1. I also used to dislike drinking plain water but over the years I have found that if I leave an open 16 oz bottle near wherever I'm sitting, I find myself sipping on it without even realizing it. It has to be in a plastic bottle, though, not a drinking glass. Sounds silly, I know, but you should give it a try.

Also, sometimes I buy flavored water. You can find it in the water aisle or the soda aisle. (I don't like the seltzer kind at all, though.) The kind I buy is bubbly like soda, but it's just flavored water. There's no calories and water is certainly much healthier than soda! Or, as Cora mentioned above, you can buy Mio in a variety of flavors and add as much or as little hat you like to a glass of water (or sparkling or club soda, if you like the bubbles).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Closed Thread