It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Breakfast and Energy and Potassium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
    tomadom
    (male)

tomadom HB User
    Breakfast and Energy and Potassium

The only way to get a good level of energy to do demanding physical work each day is to eat Rolled Oats (oatmeal) in the morning. I don't seem to gain any energy from other foods. Anything else, such as fruits, vegetables, bread etc leave me feeling weak. The problem with oats is, they make me really fat around the middle and it's hard to get rid of.

I'm thinking that if other foods don't quiet give me the stored energy I need then I may be very low in Potassium. Is this plausible? Potassium is needed to store energy in the form of Glycogen. I would have to say that this has been the case for many years so I'm interested in resolving it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
    Jumpingbeans
    (female)

Jumpingbeans HB User
    Re: Breakfast and Energy and Potassium

Oatmeal is good for slowly releasing energy, however it is not a main source of potassium (one cup is 3% of your RDA). Bananas and kiwis are known for their high potassium sources, but spinach, avocado, (some) yogurts, white beans and sweat potatoes are a better potassium source.

Potassium can help glucose up-take in the intestine, but as far as I know, plays little role in glycogen storage. Vitamin B6 is an essential part of the enzyme that will store glucose as glycogen so you should try to replace oats with something else high in vitamin b6 (although oatmeal is high certain B vitamins, it is only 3% of your RDA for B6). Foods high in B6 include nuts, prunes, spinach, avocado and bananas. Maybe a combination of cereals, nuts, yogurt and fruit might work?

Exercise is also a way to increase your energy (running or swimming where your muscles go into anaerobic respiration). This will increase your GLUT4 transporter expression (although the time and intensity this takes is debated). GLUT4 allows your glycogen storage to be converted back into glucose for you to use throughout the day (or during exercise).

Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
    Julia33
    (female)

Julia33 HB User

Thank you for info, I will start eat Oats.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomadom View Post
    The problem with oats is, they make me really fat around the middle and it's hard to get rid of.
    You're getting the energy you need for highly demanding physical work but gaining fat around the middle. My thought is that you might be exceeding the amount of oatmeal that you need. I would advise sticking with one serving as stated on the package.

Also, include fruit and nuts. You might stir in a chopped banana and a tablespoon of chopped nuts.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-18-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    breakfast, potassium