It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Always hungry even after a big meal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
    Marbille
    (male)

Marbille HB User
    Always hungry even after a big meal

Hi. For the past six weeks, I've been feeling hungry most of the day. I already have a big appetite to begin with, but it's becoming worse lately. My typical meal usually consists of either fish or chicken (or beef or pork-based dish from time to time), vegetables, and one and a half cups of rice (I'm Asian, btw). I used to have three meals a day plus two snacks (chocolate bars, cookies, or any local dessert). However, due to my current appetite, I have been eating two large meals (two and a half cups of rice) and two smaller meals (one cup of rice) plus several snacks. It's really hard to resist the urge to eat since whenever I'm hungry, I get that horrible feeling in my chest (I can't concretely describe it) and I also feel light-headed. This is also problematic since I'm a university student on a tight budget and I can't possibly blow off my allowance on food.

It would probably help if I tell about myself. I'm an 18 year old male. I weigh 50 kg and am 175 cm tall (yes, I'm underweight). Could this constant hunger be attributed to puberty? Though, I think I'm way past that. Also, lately, I've been skimping on my sleeping hours because of exams and requirements. I would really like to know if I should be alarmed about this or if I should consult a nutritionist. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
    Jumpingbeans
    (female)

Jumpingbeans HB User
    Re: Always hungry even after a big meal

Hey there,

Hunger could definitely be related to lack of sleep. As you already said you are underweight. A BMI of 16.3 is a serious red flag in most medical books.
    But to know if you should be alarmed there are some factors you need to consider, such as are you eating enough calories (2,500 per day)? Are you currently losing weight? If you are eating enough and you are losing weight you should see a doctor, it's always better to get these things checked out, even if you think it is just stress and lack of sleep. Do you have any other symptoms? For instance, are you more tired than normal, can you perform every day tasks without any problem (such as walking up stairs, carrying shopping/books), are you feeling happy and yourself?

If you really don't want to see a doctor, you can also try varying your diet. Perhaps you are lacking certain nutrients, i.e. are you eating enough fruit and vegetables? Do you eat a good hearty breakfast? You can also try switching to brown rice and brown bread. Try and replace snacking on chocolate with snacking on fruit or raw vegetables. Instead of just having a sandwich for lunch, pre-make a pasta salad. I think you should also make sure you are eating enough protein, as the body starts degrading muscles if it is hungry, this can lead to serious problems.

I would strongly recommend seeing a nutritionist or a doctor to discuss a diet plan and/or to maybe run some blood tests. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Old 03-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
    Marbille
    (male)

Marbille HB User

Thank you for your suggestion. You're right. I really need to see an expert since this could be something serious. This morning, immediately after waking up, I was extremely famished and felt really dizzy.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #4
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Hi. For the past six weeks, I've been feeling hungry most of the day. I already have a big appetite to begin with, but it's becoming worse lately. My typical meal usually consists of either fish or chicken (or beef or pork-based dish from time to time), vegetables, and one and a half cups of rice (I'm Asian, btw). I used to have three meals a day plus two snacks (chocolate bars, cookies, or any local dessert). However, due to my current appetite, I have been eating two large meals (two and a half cups of rice) and two smaller meals (one cup of rice) plus several snacks. It's really hard to resist the urge to eat since whenever I'm hungry, I get that horrible feeling in my chest (I can't concretely describe it) and I also feel light-headed. This is also problematic since I'm a university student on a tight budget and I can't possibly blow off my allowance on food.
    I hope those rice was with those veggies and meat, thats good nutrition.
    The cookies and chocolate bars and dessert is not nutrion: its basically sugar,fat. Its a good idea to look at healthier alternatives to "junk" food.

Closed Thread