It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• B12 deficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
    FBF
    (male)

FBF HB User
    B12 deficiency

Hi

I'm a young male and have been experiencing severe, constant tiredness (and weakness, getting breathless easily etc) for years. I've had a few blood tests but they always test for the same things and they won't do anything further, this is the first B12 test I've had (I have requested one in the past but they wouldn't).

My result is 184 ug/L with the lab range being 130-900.

According to every single website I've been reading, 184 is definitely low.

However, the low range starts from 130 so my doctor probably isn't going to be concerned, so I'm trying to prepare in advance. How can I convince her to at least try injections, given how long I've been this way?

My ferritin is 62 and folate is 4.8, which sound normal.

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
    Jumpingbeans
    (female)

Jumpingbeans HB User
    Re: B12 deficiency

To my knowlegde you don't need to worry about your vitamin B12 unless it is below 160 ug/L. Injections of B12 are not a good solution to your problem because they come with side effects such as, hypokalaemia, iron deficiency and in some cases hyperuricaemia can occur.

I'd recommend making sure you get enough B12 in your diet by eating things such as; eggs, fresh red meat, fish (makerel and crab), semi-skimmed milk, cheese and cereals.

A lot of things can cause your symptoms. Stress and anxiety, lack of exercise or other problems that might be more severe. I think you should ask your doctor to get to the bottom of the cause and not push to start treatment for something tht is not necessary

Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
    FBF
    (male)

FBF HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jumpingbeans View Post
    To my knowlegde you don't need to worry about your vitamin B12 unless it is below 160 ug/L. Injections of B12 are not a good solution to your problem because they come with side effects such as, hypokalaemia, iron deficiency and in some cases hyperuricaemia can occur.

I'd recommend making sure you get enough B12 in your diet by eating things such as; eggs, fresh red meat, fish (makerel and crab), semi-skimmed milk, cheese and cereals.

A lot of things can cause your symptoms. Stress and anxiety, lack of exercise or other problems that might be more severe. I think you should ask your doctor to get to the bottom of the cause and not push to start treatment for something tht is not necessary
    Thanks for the reply,

I eat a ton of foods that are high in B12, especially milk, cheese, eggs, meat and fish, yet my numbers are still low. I very rarely get stressed or anxious and I go to the gym.

Everyone has a different idea of what low is it seems, so you say below 160 but my result of 184 is so close to that would it not be worth looking into? My doctors range starts from 130, normal to them but this would be considered low to you too. The general consensus that I've been reading everywhere is that below 200 (even 400 in some labs) = deficiency.

Pushing for B12 treatment wouldn't be my first port of call if this was one of my first visits to the doctor, but I've been going about this on and off for years and the exact same blood tests were done and nothing further. My current doctor told me that if these come back normal she doesn't know what to do so this is all I have to go on.

So, I think it would be worth at least getting some form of treatment to see if I benefit from it since everything else has failed me and I have gotten nowhere. I don't seem to be absorbing it well from food.

Perhaps I should try sublingual supplements, the next best thing? .

Last edited by FBF; 03-28-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
    Jumpingbeans
    (female)

Jumpingbeans HB User

Could be that you have a problem absorbing b12 in your intestines, maybe there is also a way to improve that? I know there are ways of testing this, but I don't know what tests can be done for this. Bad absorption is usually a sign of another underlying condition (Crohn disease, hyperthyroidism)

It could also be a vitamin D deficiency, have you been checked for that? B12 is often accompanied by neurological symptoms too. A certain type of anemia is also present with a B12 deficiency, maybe you can ask your doctor to check for pernicious anemia (it can also rarely be macrocytic anemia). If that isn't present and there are no neurological symptoms, it probably isn't B12 that's causing the symptoms. It's important to treat the right deficiency because each deficiency can cause permanent damage in the long run if left untreated.

Perhaps taking the sublingual treatment is a better option, then you can see if there is an improvement before committing yourself to, what is usually, life long treatment of injections.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is hard to define because it depends on how it is measured. Above 160 pg/L means no need for concern, below 160 with anemia and/or neurological symptoms is a sign for further investigation.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FBF View Post
    Thanks for the reply,

I eat a ton of foods that are high in B12, especially milk, cheese, eggs, meat and fish, yet my numbers are still low. I very rarely get stressed or anxious and I go to the gym.

Everyone has a different idea of what low is it seems, so you say below 160 but my result of 184 is so close to that would it not be worth looking into? My doctors range starts from 130, normal to them but this would be considered low to you too. The general consensus that I've been reading everywhere is that below 200 (even 400 in some labs) = deficiency.

Pushing for B12 treatment wouldn't be my first port of call if this was one of my first visits to the doctor, but I've been going about this on and off for years and the exact same blood tests were done and nothing further. My current doctor told me that if these come back normal she doesn't know what to do so this is all I have to go on.

So, I think it would be worth at least getting some form of treatment to see if I benefit from it since everything else has failed me and I have gotten nowhere. I don't seem to be absorbing it well from food.

Perhaps I should try sublingual supplements, the next best thing? .
    Injections are for those people who cant absorb b12 directly, as a result of autoimmune of intrinsic factor, or celiacs. And also people who are severely deficient. You can buy supplemental b12 from otc in your local grocery store. however yours is at a normal range. Why are they unwilling to do any tests?
    What conditions do you think it actually is. One of the constellation of symptoms is neuropathy for b12, you dint indicate it?
    it sounds like another unknown disorder you may have.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Many labs use 400 as a low cutoff for normal B12, so I think you are deficient and taking the sublingual should help even if you have absorption issues. I would try to get a B12 level repeated in 3-4 months while on supplemental B12 and see where it is. By then you will know also if you feel better.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User
    Re: b6 to high

Quote:
    Originally Posted by papapete View Post
    I would like to know if any one has high b6 because that can neuropathy.
    Sensory neuropathy typically develops at doses of pyridoxine in excess of 1,000 mg per day, it apparently can cause it.

Closed Thread