It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Recovering mineral deficiency - Tired all the time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User
    Recovering mineral deficiency - Tired all the time?

So I'm a vegetarian, I have anxiety, and I'm pretty active, first off. In January I went to the doctor because I had bone and muscle pains that slowly went away when I became more adamant about taking vitamins. They did a blood test to see if anything was wrong with me and only found I had low levels of vitamin D and potassium. Nothing else.

Now I'm still taking a multivitamin every day (vitamin D & potassium every other day, occasionally magnesium & b12), but for the past month, my hands have been shaking and I suspected it was from working out too hard, so I haven't done a work out in over a week and they still shake, mostly when I'm tired or after a long shift at work. I've also been very fatigued and when I sleep, I'm out like a light. I am a student and I've had to stay up very late and sometimes only get two hours of sleep and feel terrible the next day, but for the past week I've been getting enough sleep and I feel fine until it's around my bed time and I feel sooooo exhausted and sick. Today my arms were tingling along with the shaking. I though maybe I should eat more to solve this, but I just ate a large lunch and don't feel much better

What on earth could this possibly be? Should I go back to the doctor or is this just mineral deficiency striking again? I'm taking vitamins.... I wanna say it's stress and anxiety but that doesn't usually cause tingling in the arms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #2
    Stretch1one
    Veteran
    (male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
    Perhaps you are not absorption of the vitamins you are taking you might try adding a digestive enzyme similar to the enzymes from your pancreas you can buy them over the counter made buy several good companies try them for 3 or 4 days you will know if they are helping by then good luck research it and decide for yourself

Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User
    Re: Recovering mineral deficiency - Tired all the time?

To update I think it might be lack of protein. I've been taking my vitamins like clockwork and drinking plenty of water, getting rest, not working out, but still the fatigue and now the limb-aches and tingling. I looked at my diet and googled how much protein I was exactly getting and I'm not getting nearly enough at all. I always read that vegetarians do not need to worry about protein intake because it's in other food besides meat, so I never worried about protein and focused on other vitamins. I guess I still wasn't being careful enough. And I've been so busy and stressed and eating on the go, on top of it all.

I had an egg and drank a glass of milk an hour ago and I think it's helping. I'll go to the store and get more protein foods and see if this is solved.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would wonder about your B12 and folate levels. Those deficiencies often cause tingling/numbness in feet and hands/arms. Were those levels measured? B12 deficiency can also cause anemia, making one feel exhausted. Was a complete blood count done for anemia? This is common in vegetarians. I would ask for those tests to be done if they weren't already, and supplement those vitamins AFTER the tests are done so results aren't falsely elevated.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User

So it's been over a week from my last post and after adding a lot more protein in my diet, I've been feeling so much better. No more sickly exhaustion and my hands shake significantly less, I never really notice anymore. I guess it really was just lack of protein... I hope this means I'll be able to work out again soon without troubles. I just have to make sure I get enough. For my size I calculated I need at least 40g per day (I was definitely not getting that much before)

But I'm still taking the vitamins and I am due for a check up soon, so I can still ask them about getting another blood test like you suggested, just in case

Closed Thread