It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Young, broke, hungry

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
    iAlmostDo
    (female)

iAlmostDo HB User
    Smile Young, broke, hungry

I am a college aged woman, and like most I am on a budget. I work very part-time (though am looking for a second job) and go to school, so I don't really have a lot of money to spend generally. Food is an obvious necessity, so that's what most of my money goes to. Naturally, it's not food that's "good" for me; cheap, healthy food is hard to find. Anyway, I have noticed it is taking its toll. I'm tired a lot, not much energy, I always feel hungry and never satisfied. I feel like I haven't had an appetite in a couple months, but at the same time I feel that it's probably just because there's no food around so I just don't eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could eat on a budget? Something simple to make? Any help would be great, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    14 February 2014

The following user gives a hug of support to iAlmostDo:
    tess201 (05-14-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
    gemg
    (female)

gemg HB User
    Re: Young, broke, hungry

Hiya

If you have an aldi near u they sell some great food for cheap, a packet of pasta is 28p for the spaghetti, you can go for the cheap pasta sauces they are about 45p two sauces and a pack of the spaghetti would easily do four u 4-5 meals. There holegrain bread is nice to that about 60p. Just cook and freeze. The veg os cheap too and they sell really small packs of meats
    The frozen chicken is nice too especially there hot and spicey one and its just coated fillets too so theu are healthy. If i was on my own I would buy a pack of baking spuds about a pound and do them with aldi everyday value spaghetti hoops that are about 17p a tin. There is loads of cheaper foods that u dont need to be a wiz at cooking for in there. Also there chocolate if ur budget allowes is nice too.

Good luck xx

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I would recommend checking out a few blogs online that deal with cooking and couponing-getting the most value out fo your hard earned dollars!!
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Almost,

There are a lot of discount grocers nowadays in the USA. Walmart sells food very inexpensively, esp. when you look for the sale & generic brand items. You aren't helping your grades by letting your body get run down. The brain needs nutrition to function.

I suggest that you make your budget work by only buying nutritious food...no junk food, no sodas, no 'fast' food, esp. no frozen fast food. Cut out coffee if you drink it. Those things are really expensive considering they have no or very little food value.

Food need not be costly. Buy a bag of rice and beans and learn how to soak and cook them. Add a ham shank, or real bacon bits for flavor and eat them together for the vegetable protein. Make sure you get protein three times a day.

Two dice size cubes of hard cheese is one serving. A serving of meat/poultry is the size of one deck of cards. Eggs are pretty inexpensive protein. Eat two for breakfast with one slice whole grain bread/toast. Eat yogurt and some fruit. Eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich made with whole grain bread. Eat an apple and a two or three dice size pieces of cheese.

Find other ways to save money so you can afford to eat properly. Turn off lights when not needed, wear warm clothes and keep the heating bill down, get a room mate, don't party, don't drive unnecessarily, etc. Go to a local Food Bank as many times a month as you are allowed. Food Banks are there to help out...you can volunteer once a week or once a month at a food bank or soup kitchen and help others out too.

Don't look for food you 'desire', write out a simple, nutritious menu and shop for those foods. Also, get out and walk three or four times a week.

Last edited by yayagirl; 05-15-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
    joey2000
    (male)

joey2000 HB User

Not much to add, just want to say great replies here. Way to point out that this "healthier food is too expensive" bit is a myth. PS an occasional PBJ is also quick, cheap, filling, and mostly healthy (easy on the jelly though! Get one with no added sweeteners, or better yet, use honey). Also you can get a bag of frozen veggies and nuke some on a plate, adding whatever seasoning you want...again: quick, cheap, easy..perfect for college kids

Closed Thread