It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Tips for Staying Healthy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #1
    ohelizabeth
    (female)

ohelizabeth HB User
    Tips for Staying Healthy?

Hello!
    I'm a 21 year old trying to get in line with my health before I become too old and lazy. Haha could anybody offer some advice on quick day to day tricks I could undertake to live a healthier lifestyle in terms of diet?

I drink lots of water.
    I'm SOON going to start pushing myself to work out more (though I do go for hour long walks almost daily).

But I don't live on my own so I have a bit of a mix diet. Half healthy and sometimes half well not so healthy. I eat yogurt with fresh fruits and granola cereal everyday for breakfast. I hardly drink any soft drinks, and I try to limit my snacking of sweets and other kinds. But my upper chest area (near my throat) is filled with pimples and I don't know if that's just the left over of my bad reaction to a new shower gel (which I changed already) or actual diet related. Please help! D:

The following user gives a hug of support to ohelizabeth:
    academyok (07-02-2015)
    The Following User Says Thank You to ohelizabeth For This Useful Post:
    fitdietfitness (07-12-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Tips for Staying Healthy?

Here's a big tip in one simple, easy to remember sentence: Eliminate processed foods to the fullest extent possible. Oops! There goes the yogurt, granola, soft drinks and sweets.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-29-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
    ohelizabeth
    (female)

ohelizabeth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Here's a big tip in one simple, easy to remember sentence: Eliminate processed foods to the fullest extent possible. Oops! There goes the yogurt, granola, soft drinks and sweets.
    Damn really? I thought those things were supposed to be healthy. Yogurt I mean.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I don't think Dairy is healthy but I might have a difficult time proving it to others as there are a lot of conflicting studies. One thing I would point to is this: For many thousands of years before the agricultural revolution, in the Paleolithic age, humans had strong bones without dairy. Yes, some will say they got a lot of exercise, and that is certainly true, but where did they get their calcium? Another thing I would point to is that many countries with a much lower calcium consumption than ours have better bone health than we do.

Another thing is that you will never see any claims made by the dairy industry on any of their products. Next time you go to the store, look to see if you can find any diary product that says, "dairy helps build (or maintain) strong bones". You won't find it because the FDA won't allow any claims that haven't been scientifically proven to their satisfaction.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #5
    ohelizabeth
    (female)

ohelizabeth HB User

Ah okay, I see your point of view on dairy. I don't take that much milk to begin with because it leaves me with a lot of phlegm. Much as I ADORE milk. Yogurt is the one thing I really eat that's full on dairy, I mean I sometime eat cheese but when it comes to being healthy I try to stick to veggies and fruits.

Oh and green tea. God that thing is fantastic!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
    gabbee
    (female)

gabbee HB User

Oh darling! I totally understand you, Im 25 now and I started my "healthy path" around a year and a half ago... Sometimes it can be stressing to feel that you are doing a lot of "right things" and don't see many results. I think you are having a great beginning by drinking tons of water and start being active!.

A doctor gave me some starting advices, and has become my friend during these months of healthy adjustments. Besides that, a lot of self motivation, and engaging in positive conversations will take you far!

Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2015 at 06:41 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gabbee:
    Administrator (07-04-2015)
    Old 07-03-2015, 01:46 AM   #7
    ohelizabeth
    (female)

ohelizabeth HB User

I'm glad to hear it's worked really well for you. I'll give it a look later. Thanks for the positive words, I'm definitely trying my best to get healthy. I may joke that it's for the abs and the looks but in truth I just want to feel healthy and fit. To feel good about my body in a way that comes with healthy eating and exercise. So gotta push through! And yes stay positive!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
    WonderCat
    (female)

WonderCat HB User

I agree with JohnR41. I've eliminated all processed food, dairy, refined sugar, grains & soy. I basically eat lean grass fed meat, organic chicken, organic bacon, TONS of vegetables, and one serving of fruit per day. I avoid nightshades because I have an intolerance to them, but I eat every other kind of vegetable. Also, I'd recommend Googling the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen. It's a list compiled by the Environmental Working Group that tells you which fruits and vegetables you should buy organic and which are ok if they're conventional. They also have an app which makes it very convenient when shopping.

Closed Thread