It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Eating healthy without an oven or stove

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
    RachelNP
    (female)

RachelNP HB User
    Eating healthy without an oven or stove

Hey everyone!

I've been trying to eat healthier lately, but my weird, tiny apartment doesn't have a stove or oven, and most healthy recipes require one. Does anyone have any ideas for healthy foods that I can fix in the microwave or crock pot. Also, I'm a student, so I don't have a ton of money to buy super fancy, organic ingredients. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Eating healthy without an oven or stove

Any kind of meat or chicken, along with fresh vegtables or potatoes can sit in a crock pot all day with a cup or two of chicken stock or water with a bullion cube in it and make you a healthy meal. You can buy really cheap crock pot recipe books or look things up online as well. Not all of the recipes include expensive ingrediants. I made a lasagne in a crock pot last weekend and it was delicious. The noodles are cheap! And, you add sauce (which i make from scratch, but you do need a pot to boil it on) and cheese, and let it go! There are chili recipes also, which use alot of types of beans, also cheap- and simmer all day with some ground meat. You can get that relatively cheap also. A big crock pot will make 4-6 servings which can be frozen or used for lunches..
    Do some hunting on the net and find yourself some good meals which you can separate into portions and have for the week- or freeze for later. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Rachel!

I'm in my 70's. I consider my controversial diet to be a very healthy diet.

My 1500 calorie, inexpensive diet consists of high fiber cereals, eggs every day, tilapia fish every other day, extra virgin olive oil and mixed vegetables; and all of my cooking is done using my microwave, even though I have a stove.

I use the microwave because it is fast, convenient and does a great job with the eggs, tilapia and mixed veggies.

Best of luck and health and I wish you all A's in your future!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-12-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I'm going to assume you have a refrigerator so I'll put in a good word for healthy salads. (Even a small counter-top fridge will do.) In my opinion, there's nothing healthier than a well made salad. And salads allow for lots of flexibility.

You can put almost anything in a salad but here are some healthful ideas to get you started:

1) Dark green leafy vegetables like romaine lettuce

2) Tomatoes

3) Cucumber

4) Carrots (raw but sliced into thin circles)

5) Onion (red or sweet, sliced paper thin)

6) Canned beans (One cup added to a salad will give you lots of protein and fiber.)

Get as many different colors in your salad as possible. The above ingredients provide dark green, Red, white, orange, and perhaps black from black beans. Different colors indicate different phytochemicals/phytonutrients in addition to vitamins, minerals and macronutrients.

If you happen to have some leftover cooked vegetables, you can throw them in too.
    Then top it off with a teaspoon or two of olive oil and/or lemon juice.

What about some carbs? Perhaps one slice of whole grain bread or a small microwaved potato to go with the salad?

You can improvise and make it different every day to keep it from getting boring.

And this salad is intended to be a whole meal in one dish so use a LARGE salad bowl.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-17-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
    joey2000
    (male)

joey2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RachelNP View Post
    apartment doesn't have a stove or oven, and most healthy recipes require one. !
    Don't know who told you that or where you read it, but that's utterly untrue. The simplest and most obvious example would be that you could take frozen veggies and nuke them for a short time, and if you time it right, it's just like steaming them...no loss of nutritional value. And of course there are many other things you can microwave that are healthy...in fact, most things these days, except some things which require a dry heat, like cakes, etc.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
    xxPandoraxx
    (female)

xxPandoraxx HB User

Buy a 2 plate hob for under 20.
    3 tier steamer 10 for veg, etc

Will work out cheaper in the long run

As then you can cook stir frys boiled/scrambled/eggs, omlettes, etc brown rice pancakes, tuna patties etc

Never use a microwave to cook in

They kill the enzymes in the food so you do not receive the nutrients etc

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
    roxcyn
    Veteran
    (male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

You can buy a hot plate - one of the discount stores had one for $15 and buy a few pots if you need them. That will help if you don't want to microwave some things.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi Rach,

It's heat that destroys enzymes in food. That's why vegetables and fruits are better for us when they are eaten raw or lightly cooked or steamed. Microwaves just create heat.

Closed Thread

Tags
    diet