It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Gluten free options?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    Gluten free options?

I am wondering outside the nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies what good gluten free options there are? I am borderline hypothyroid and I know Gluten is a big contributor to that so I would really like to find some alternatives. The problem is, I have irritable bowel which kind of puts a damper on the fruits and veggies. I don't want to do the gluten free specialty foods because they are mostly rice based which there is arscenic in rice and corn is not all that good for you and neither is dairy...so what's left?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Gluten free options?

smokeymtnrain,

Have you ever tried Amaranth? It's gluten free and tastes good too. The first time I tried it, I made one serving. I enjoyed the taste but it left my stomach feeling a little unsettled. So the next time I cut back to less than one serving and it was just right - no stomach problem.

I added a few chopped nuts and salted it very lightly.

I thought it was grain but now I notice on the package it doesn't say grain. It just says organic Amaranth. So I searched online and found one source that says it's not a grain because it's not in the grass family. It's in the botanical family Amaranthaceae.

You can add it to soup if you like but I think it's much better eaten as a side dish.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-30-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Corn flakes, corn tortillas, rice krispies, peanut butter, anything potato related.

Lot of good choices out there.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeymtnrain View Post
    I am borderline hypothyroid and I know Gluten is a big contributor to that.....
    A Lack of iodine in your diet can also be a contributor. Your thyroid cannot produce thyroxine without sufficient iodine. A word of caution: Too much iodine can be bad too.

Note: Certain raw vegetables, like cabbage and broccoli, are known as goitrogens and can block the absorption of iodine.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-31-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Closed Thread