It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• High saturated fat in Coconut oil for sedentary people

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
    Paul8f
    (male)

Paul8f HB User
    Question High saturated fat in Coconut oil for sedentary people

Hi all,

very first post here, so hope I'm not starting out by asking a stupid question straight off the blocks!

I'm on a health improvement mission the past few months due to allergies. My weight is perfect except for percentage of visceral fat (TOFI). I've cut way back or eliminated the basics such as alcohol, caffeine, sugar, processed foods, table salt, red meats, white flour and snacking between meals. I've increased sleep, exercise, water intake, Epsom salt baths and stretching. Feeling a little better every day.

Now I'm looking into the so called 'superfoods'. I'm a bit confused when it comes to oils such as virgin olive oil and coconut oil. Especially in coconut oil, the nutrition label lists the saturated fat as 94g per 100. I always thought saturated fat was the enemy to be avoided at all costs!

I'm a very active person so my body probably uses this fat as an energy source, but it got me thinking that these oils may not be beneficial to the couch potato types. Any ideas? Thanks!

Paul.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: High saturated fat in Coconut oil for sedentary people

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul8f View Post
    Hi all,
    ... I'm looking into the so called 'superfoods'. I'm a bit confused when it comes to oils such as virgin olive oil and coconut oil. Especially in coconut oil, the nutrition label lists the saturated fat as 94g per 100. I always thought saturated fat was the enemy to be avoided at all costs.
    Hi, paul. Welcome! I think your question is a good one. You mentioned that you have cut way back or eliminated processed foods. That's definitely a good thing, in my opinion. So, in that case, you might want to question why oils should even be used. After all, oils are highly processed foods. Oils are extracted from whole foods and then get marketed as 100% fat. No fiber.

I wonder if the oils you mentioned would be considered superfoods if they were not vigorously promoted by industry. (If I'm not mistaken, the Mediterranean Health Study was sponsored by the European olive oil industry.)

Do we need saturated fat in our diet? Yes, we definitely do need some. I get most of my fat from raw nuts (although peanuts should not be eaten raw) and seeds which are very healthful. You just need to limit yourself to one serving or less, so as not to gain weight.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-05-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #3
    Paul8f
    (male)

Paul8f HB User
    Smile Re: High saturated fat in Coconut oil for sedentary people

Hi John, thanks for the ideas.

You make a good point about the definition of 'Processed Foods'. You could even go as far as to say that GMO vegetables and the innocent cup of tea are 'Processed' as they are both modified in some way (modified genes and boiled respectively). Maybe there's something to the caveman Paleo diet after all!

You could be on to something about getting your saturated fats from nuts (seems a lot more natural than oil... even though I usually go for the Extra Virgin Olive Oil that's extracted directly from olives by mechanical means - I think this means cold pressed or slow-juiced without any heat treatment).

I didn't realise the Mediterranean Health Study was sponsored by the Industry itself. Kind of a vested interest there alright. But surely the whole study was peer-reviewed and all facts and figures were checked??!

Gaining weight is never a worry for me. I'm referred to as the 'Greyhound Breed' - I could eat junk food all day and never put on a pound! Good in one way, but a curse in another, as I had absolutely no warning that my liver was hoarding fat and pushing my body pH into Acidosis, making my hay-fever 10 times worse I;m not 100% sure, but I either had a touch of NAFLD or maybe even some sort of glycogen and iron storage problem along with the Acidosis.

...Coming back to the oils,
    The following is from the Nutritional Labels on the bottles:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Saturated Fat - 15.0g
    Mononounsaturates - 79.0g
    Polyunsaturates - 6.0g

Cold Pressed Avocado Oil
    Saturated Fat - 13.0g
    Mononounsaturates - 10.0g
    Polyunsaturates - 68.0g

Raw Coconut Oil (Solid)
    Total Fat - 100g
    Saturated Fat - (Not Stated)
    Mononounsaturates - (Not Stated)
    Carbohydrates - 0.0g

From this you can see a large variation in the three different types of oils. I think I'm correct in saying that the poly and mono fats are good for your cholesterol, and any trans fats are bad - so all these oils in moderation should be fine.

Am I right in saying that excess carbs are converted and stored as glycogen, and excess fats are stored as triglycerides? - I'd be interested to find out the storage difference between active and sedentary people.

Closed Thread

Tags
    coconut oil, fatty liver, nutrition, sedentary diet