It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Is there such a thing as a healthy vegetarian diet?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Coelho64
(female)

Coelho64 HB User
Is there such a thing as a healthy vegetarian diet?

My husband and I became Vegetarians at Easter but like all the other Vegetarians I know, we don't have a particularly healthy diet.

It's very easy not to eat meat or fish but doing so healthily seems to be quite difficult as a lot of vegetarian food is very carb heavy, 'artificial', or just tasteless.

Neither my husband nor I like eating fruit or vegetable is large quantities and quickly get fed up with salad!

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Is there such a thing as a healthy vegetarian diet?

Tofu? Have you tried it? The great thing about Tofu is it absorbs whatever flavor you cook it with. There are a ton of vegetarian flavors you can buy at natural health food stores, which you can add to Tofu to cook...there are also plenty of other healthy options with beans....beans have a ton of protein and nutients.
I would suggest buying a good vegetarian cookbook and visiting a natural foods health food store- not so much a grocery store, but a specialty store which has food items. They do exist. Look for them in cities close to you.

Its tough, but it can be done. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #3
twincy
Inactive
(female)

twincy HB User

Hi, you can try eating paneer or tofu sauteed. You can have fried rice with vegetables for a better diet. To incorporate veges in your diet, you can have assorted vegetables like pav bhaji as it is tasty and has all vegetables as well.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
sjenkins1990
(male)

sjenkins1990 HB User

+1 for paneer. I lost a ton of weight as a vegetarian for 3 months in India. Never felt better in my life. And I didn't really miss meat at all!

Try to learn how to cook curry (Thai or Indian). LOTS of flavor. Indian has a lot of lentils as well, which are good for your protein intake.

Last edited by sjenkins1990; 02-27-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
davdt
(male)

davdt HB User

I've spent a lot of time eating vegetarian as well as veggies/meats. I almost always always have felt better with veggies/meats. If you're going to go vegetarian, I'd supplement with nutrients deficient in vegetarian diets like B-Vitamins and iron. I'd also eat a ton of eggs. Besides that, nuts like almonds and pumpkin seeds would be a great place to start.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
scottosan
(male)

scottosan HB User

If you are eating a carb heavy diet that does not include fruits, vegetables, and fibers, more than likeley means you are eating the higher glycemic index foods. The only way to drop the glycemic index of any food is to balance it out with fat, protein and fiber. Too much high glycemic index meals are not good for you. There are lots of stuff out there that can increase your fat and protein levels like mentioned, tofu. Chweck out Beyond Meat beast Burgers, They really taste like real burgers. Visit some Vegan restaurants for some inspiration. You can get really creative. I make my cheese based on cashews now.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #7
Isabellaqwe
(female)

Isabellaqwe HB User

I eat meat or fish, I also eat vegetables and should develop good habits anyway

Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Any suggestions?
In order for a vegetarian diet to be healthy, you need to avoid processed foods and concentrate on natural whole foods like fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. And it's preferable to get most of your protein from legumes.

As far as being more specific, it's difficult because I don't know exactly what you're doing. If you would list the foods you're eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with the amounts, dressings etc. then I might have an idea for improvements.

Reply Reply