It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Sugar --> Fat weight conversion formula

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
    BobsHBoards
    (male)

BobsHBoards HB User
    Question Sugar --> Fat weight conversion formula

Summary:
    What is the weight of fat that can result from eating 1 oz of sugar (e.g., sucrose)?

Reason I ask is twofold:
    a) Large plants that grow in soil get almost none of their weight from the soil itself but get it from the air and water they ingest (true fact).

b) Fat is expelled as gas from what I read recently. If that is true, is the reverse true? That the fat we create is composed significantly of air and/or water that is combined with ingested sugar?

In other words, if I eat 1 oz of sucrose does it combine with 2 oz of air and/or water to become 3 oz of fat?

I've searched for an answer on this and cannot find one.

Last edited by BobsHBoards; 01-20-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
    BobsHBoards
    (male)

BobsHBoards HB User
    Question Re: Sugar --> Fat weight conversion formula

Bump

Is an answer of interest to anyone else?
    The answer may provide strong motivation to really cutting down on sugar for me.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
    esker
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
    Re: Sugar --> Fat weight conversion formula

The liver converts excess sugar to fat in a process called Lipogenesis. Air and water have nothing to do with it, nor is it a plant-like process. The fat is then released into the bloodstream and deposited mostly around the organs in the abdomen.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
    BobsHBoards
    (male)

BobsHBoards HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esker View Post
    The liver converts excess sugar to fat in a process called Lipogenesis. Air and water have nothing to do with it, nor is it a plant-like process. The fat is then released into the bloodstream and deposited mostly around the organs in the abdomen.
    Not sure what you mean - Lipogenesis is a (series of) chemical reaction(s) so in that very general way it is a plant-like process. I looked up Lipogenesis and it got complicated quickly for my tiny, non-biology major brain.

I think it is still a valid question though.
    I'll bet my house that 1 oz of sugar doesn't turn into precisely 1 oz of fat. It will be less, or more than 1 oz. I'm just wondering if 1 oz of sugar turns into greater than 1 oz of fat - and by the addition of anything - not just water or air.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
    esker
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

The take away here is that fat deposited around the internal organs is the worst kind of fat and contributes to the development of many chronic diseases.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
    BobsHBoards
    (male)

BobsHBoards HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esker View Post
    The take away here is that fat deposited around the internal organs is the worst kind of fat and contributes to the development of many chronic diseases.

So far - yes. I am hoping for more info about the question I asked.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobsHBoards View Post
    Summary:
    In other words, if I eat 1 oz of sucrose does it combine with 2 oz of air and/or water to become 3 oz of fat?
    There is no simple answer to your question other than to say eating an ounce of sugar will not turn into a net gain of more than an ounce in weight. Matter is neither created or destroyed. Whatever glucose, fat or other substances it might be used to form in our body will be formed from what is in the sucrose and already in the body. The digestion and conversion process will consume some energy so a slight loss might be expected.

Also, sucrose may or may not be turned into fat depending on the body’s energy needs. How it’s used is mostly dependent on insulin. Preferred storage compound would be glycogen first and then fat with excess caloric intake.

Last edited by Harri3t; 02-02-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    air, conversion, fat, sugar, weight