It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Smoothies, good or bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
    fexaroo
    (male)

fexaroo HB User
    Lightbulb Smoothies, good or bad?

Hello everyone! First post as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight I've read a lot online about smoothies. Some of them saying they're great, and others bashing them. Most mornings in the week I'll have a smoothie, 1/4 Coconut Milk, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 Low fat yogurt & spinach. Is this a healthy breakky? Looking to do this maybe 3/4 times a week then have egg& toast the rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
    MeditateGuy
    (male)

MeditateGuy HB User
    Re: Smoothies, good or bad?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fexaroo View Post
    Hello everyone! First post as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight I've read a lot online about smoothies. Some of them saying they're great, and others bashing them. Most mornings in the week I'll have a smoothie, 1/4 Coconut Milk, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 Low fat yogurt & spinach. Is this a healthy breakky? Looking to do this maybe 3/4 times a week then have egg& toast the rest.
    In for the answer. On one hand I know that all the sugar isn't good but on the other I haven't heard of anyone getting diabetes from eating too much fruit, maybe since its attached to fiber its more digestible than processed sugar. I normally drink veggie shakes but I sometimes drink smoothies too!

Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
    ElleDi
    (female)

ElleDi HB User

For me personally, I don't do smoothies because they don't "keep" me- meaning, they don't last as far as providing energy and keeping my blood sugar balanced due to the sugar in the fruit. I need solid food.
    If you love smoothies and it's working for you, I'd suggest adding a good quality protein powder. I always try to get eat least 25+ grams of protein per meal, or 75 grams a day.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

The importance of chewing your food: Chewing releases digestive enzymes to help break down food so it can be converted to energy. It's an important part of digestion and helps with the absorption of nutrients.

Chewing natural whole foods helps to prevent dental erosion. All the bones in our body need weight bearing activity in order to prevent bone loss. Our jawbone is no different. It requires frequent hard chewing in order to maintain its shape and form.

Another benefit of chewing: Chewing your food takes longer than drinking your food and this helps when the goal is to maintain a healthy weight. You're apt to eat less because it takes time to feel that your appetite has been satisfied.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-27-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Closed Thread