It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Is my diet varied enough?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
    peter_j
    (male)

peter_j HB User
    Is my diet varied enough?

I tend to eat the same things every day.

- Oatmeal with milk and bilberries
    - Carrots
    - For dinner it's salmon, pork or meatballs with potatoes and broccoli
    - Crispbread made of oatmeal with white cheese
    - a spoonful of cod liver oil in the evening

Occationally I'd eat an egg or two, or eat pistachio and cashew nuts.

Is my diet lacking in anything? Or is it safe to eat this every day, and not having a "varied" diet?

I eat this because I like it, because it saves me time, and because I think it's healthy. My BMI is 100 % normal.

Last edited by peter_j; 02-04-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Is my diet varied enough?

25% of your diet (or more) should be from fresh fruit and veggies. Carrots are a good start (I eat them too) but you need to incorporate leafy greens and fresh fruit into your diet somehow. Even if you make it to one or two sevings a day it would be an improvement. THe RDA is 5 servings...

WIthout these in your diet you are missing several nutrients.

Can you add fruit to your oatmeal in the morning or eat an orange or a bowel of berries with it? Can you add in a salad for lunch with tons of fresh vegatables? You really need this in your diet to get full nutrition!

Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
    peter_j
    (male)

peter_j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    25% of your diet (or more) should be from fresh fruit and veggies. Carrots are a good start (I eat them too) but you need to incorporate leafy greens and fresh fruit into your diet somehow. Even if you make it to one or two sevings a day it would be an improvement. THe RDA is 5 servings...

WIthout these in your diet you are missing several nutrients.

Can you add fruit to your oatmeal in the morning or eat an orange or a bowel of berries with it? Can you add in a salad for lunch with tons of fresh vegatables? You really need this in your diet to get full nutrition!
    Appreciated, MSNik. I eat about 4-5 carrots a day, half of my dinner plate consists of broccoli, and I eat a daily fistful of bilberries. So I am assuming I get five servings.

But there's no variation. So I eat fresh berries and vegetables, but zero fruit. In what way would fruit be beneficial?

I like leafy greens, and would have eaten it daily if the shelf life was longer. Can you say anything about how leafy greens would be beneficial in ways which broccoli isn't? I thought those were interchangable.

Again, thank you, MSNik.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Leafy greens are loaded with fiber, folate, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, lutein, phytochemicals and vitamins A, C and K.

Broccoli contains some A, C , B6 and some potassium. Depending on if you are eating it raw (the highest content of vitamins) or cooked (which lessens the content).

As far as fruits go...fruit helps ward off chronic conditions. Fruits also reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease including kidney stones.
    Depending on the type of fruit you eat, it can include the fiber your body needs (apples and pears) or the citrus your body needs (which gives your body free radicals) and can help the absorption of iron in your nutrients; necessary for the body. 2 cups of fruit are suggested per day.

Bananas have potassium, which are especially important for muscle recovery; especially if you work out. Red grapes contain Resveratrol which is important for heart health including the risk of heart attack and high blood pressure.

There are a million reasons to add variety to your diet! Only you can figure out how to best do this.
    Remember to get your blood work done once a year and find out if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals- this will give you a great place to start!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
    peter_j
    (male)

peter_j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Leafy greens are loaded with fiber, folate, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, lutein, phytochemicals and vitamins A, C and K.

Broccoli contains some A, C , B6 and some potassium. Depending on if you are eating it raw (the highest content of vitamins) or cooked (which lessens the content).

As far as fruits go...fruit helps ward off chronic conditions. Fruits also reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease including kidney stones.
    Depending on the type of fruit you eat, it can include the fiber your body needs (apples and pears) or the citrus your body needs (which gives your body free radicals) and can help the absorption of iron in your nutrients; necessary for the body. 2 cups of fruit are suggested per day.

Bananas have potassium, which are especially important for muscle recovery; especially if you work out. Red grapes contain Resveratrol which is important for heart health including the risk of heart attack and high blood pressure.

There are a million reasons to add variety to your diet! Only you can figure out how to best do this.
    Remember to get your blood work done once a year and find out if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals- this will give you a great place to start!
    Blood work once a year was a good idea. Do you have like a list with things that you tend to get checked up?

My thread was partly written because I am not sure what the government means when they recommend a "variert" (meaning varied) diet.

A diet consisting of new things every day: cheesedoodles, Wheetos, burgers, pizza, taco, chips, popcorn, chocolate, soda, etc. etc. etc. would definetely be varied, but it wouldn't be balanced.

So I am not sure what they in fact mean when they say the diet needs to be "variert".

If I can eat the same thing every day, and not shake it up, that would save me much time and decision fatigue.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When the government says varied, they mean a variation of the food groups and what is inside them. For instance, last night I made cauliflower with my meat for dinner and also a side salad with allot of different greens and things like carrots, radishes and celery in it.
    Tonight, I am making string beans with chicken, and also a side of cooked spinache, which my family loves. Ive varied my protein from meat to chicken and varied my veggies...

For blood work a complete blood count, or CBC is what most doctors will order but I also ask to have my vitamin levels checked. Specifially B and D, these are important for brain health and because I have an autoimmune disease, important in my mangement of my disease. I would also make sure your iron is okay and your thyroid are okay...

Hope this helps!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #7
    davdt
    (male)

davdt HB User

I think your diet is varied enough. There are many people who live to an old age eating the same thing everyday. And since your diet contains a mix of nutritious vegetables and protein sources, you're getting most of the essential nutrients you need.

With that said, like others have mentioned, it might help to add a few more vegetables and put more of an emphasis on lean meat like chicken. But overall I think your diet provides most/all of the nutrition you need.

Closed Thread