It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Need to gain/or maintain weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
    iceskatingirl22
    (female)

iceskatingirl22 HB User
    Need to gain/or maintain weight?

Hi everyone!

So in the past six months, I've had a lot of digestive issues. I ended up having to have my gallbladder removed back in December 2016.

But so the issue I'm having is that prior to this whole gallbladder fiasco, I was about 105 lbs. (and I'm about 5'1"). I'm now at 95 lbs., which is not unhealthy persay, but I seem to just keep losing a pound here and there every few weeks instead of gaining. My doctor had shown some concern during my last visit because I'd lost another three lbs. (which was a month or so ago) from the last recorded weight a couple weeks or so before.

Before this, I was a size two, but as of now, I'm probably a zero or even a double zero, and I haven't been that kind of thin since junior high or my early high school years. A lot of my pants are literally starting to fall off, and I don't want to lose anymore weight, because I think I'm starting to look unhealthy (more bone showing, fat loss, etc.)

But the kicker to all of this is that I have to eat low-fat because shortly after the gallbladder issue, I started having problems with my pancreas. It seems anything moderate to high in fat causes debilitating pain in my side, so I'm now avoiding it as much as I can.

I'd like any advice on how to gain, or at the very least, maintain my current weight. Any suggestions for diet or lifestyle changes that might help would be greatly appreciated. As of now, my diet is very low-fat, lots of veggies, fruits, meat, pasta, bread, soup, rice, and beans. I've found a few, low-fat snacks like pudding, Jell-O, probiotic yogurts, sherbert ice cream, fruit juice frozen treats, a few types of candy, graham crackers, and crackers, but they're getting kind of boring, and I'd like to add more variety. In terms of exercise, I'm active a few times a week with an hour's length or so walk in the local park on quite hilly terrain. I'm also a student on campus and a TA, so I'm regularly running about campus.

Thanks for any help or advice! It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by iceskatingirl22; 04-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to iceskatingirl22:
    movielover40 (04-04-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Need to gain/or maintain weight?

You could try one of those gain weight protein powders you mix with milk.

Just buy a small sample to see if you can tolerate it.

Best of luck to you...

Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
    MeditateGuy
    (male)

MeditateGuy HB User
    Re: Need to gain/or maintain weight?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    You could try one of those gain weight protein powders you mix with milk.

Just buy a small sample to see if you can tolerate it.

Best of luck to you...
    I second the mass gainer shakes. I know that from bulking if you want to take in a crazy amount of calories and gain weight then make one of these shakes
    -Whole milk (maybe low fat if you say you can't have fat)
    -Peanutbutter (again not sure if you can eat this)
    -5 raw eggs
    -a dash of cinnamon for taste
    -a cup of instant oats
    -a banana
    - handful of kale or spinach
    -protein powder or weightgainer

blend one of these a day in addition to your diet and your pretty much guaranteed to gain weight.

Closed Thread