It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Contradiction of Dietary Guidelines Amongst Professionals

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
scottosan
(male)

scottosan HB User
Contradiction of Dietary Guidelines Amongst Professionals

A little back story:

Last year I was 43 years old 6'4" 260 former military, relatively health but overwieght, no meds yearly physicals were fine. My brother (47yo) died of sudden heart failure, which prompted my to take immediate action. I quick search then found tons of contradicting research and out of frustration figured I would simply go Vegan and exercise for 6 months to simply get me BMI down since everyone agreed that getting BMI below 25 seemed to help many things.

6 months later I lost 54 pounds, ran (2) half marathons and my entire lifestyle changed. No chips, no candy, didn't even each much grains but when I did they were certainly whole wheat. My fats sources where typically plant based avacados, walnuts, olive oil, etc, an limited saturated Fats to below 20g. Not intentionally doing so, but it ended up being a low carb high fat diet. I was easily in a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day plus adding exercise into the mix, my body basically became fat adapted as an energy source as well as loss of some muscle unfortunately. That being said, I have never felt better.

After the 6 months, I figured I was at a good leveling point for my weight and would be a good time to go back to the doctor for blood work. I had a 40 point drop in cholesterol, BP and pulse rate both down 15%, went to a cardiologist and even had an hs-CRP, ECG, stress test showing low risk of heart disease. Everything was good except fasting glucose levels. I have kept an honest diary of the past 6 month through MFP, so both the doctor and I were surprised of an elevated fasting glucose level. I was well aware of glycemic index and have been eating low GI food. She wanted to retest in a week. So, I scour the internet, buy a glucometer and religiously track my fasting glucose as well as 1 and 2 hour levels. Everything was great except my morning fasting glucose. I then cam across countless articles from reputable sources showing that LCHF diets can raise your fasting glucose, but it was only physiological not pathological and that the solution was to eat more carbs. This seems to be more common in individuals that were in a calorie deficit and those more physically active as that you body has adapted to Fat as an energy source and in the morning due to the lack of carbs and the added workouts causes increased cortisol and the subsequent gluconeogenesis and muscle loss.

So, I carb load for 3 days and seem my fasting glucose drop from 113 to 96 in that short time frame. I notice significant more energy during workouts, but overall did not feel as good with the increased carbs.. Right now I am in my second week of doing 50% carbs/30% fat/ and 20% protein and have bumped my caloric intake up about 500 calories, but still struggling to find my basal metabolic rate to maintain at this point. My fasting glucose is now 86, but honestly I dont feel as good and i feel like I have to eat too much grains to achieve the 50% mark to simple fall within clinical standards of tests that are honestly geared toward a decades old eating guidelines assuming that everyone eats the same amount of carbs. I found an endocrinologist that was on a LCHF diet and he even said that if he had a glucose tolerance test today, he would be diagnosed as diabetic, yet he know that when he tests himself or other LCHF patients, he instructs them to up there carbs so they will pass the test.

I'm not sure where to go from here now that I am to my desired weight? Any help would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Contradiction of Dietary Guidelines Amongst Professionals

First, I think 30% fat is too high.

Also, instead of forcing yourself to eat more whole grains (more than 6 servings), why don't you eat more fresh fruit and vegetables? Fruit and vegetables are carbs too. All of them!

Reply Reply