It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Healthy Eating not working?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
    Clairesage
    (female)

Clairesage HB User
    Healthy Eating not working?

Hello, for the past three months I have began eating healthier and exercising more than I have for a while. I eat a mostly vegan diet with a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. The life change is in pursuit of weight loss and general health improvement. My gut is still distended and I have bowel movements infrequently. I get enough fiber so that's not the problem. I go for really long walks everyday for my exercise and I eat well but weight loss isn't happening. What am I missing?

The following user gives a hug of support to Clairesage:
    movielover40 (04-11-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Healthy Eating not working?

Are you eating protein as well? Protein is a necessary component of eating healthy.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I would start with a physical and get your hormone levels checked and your Thyroid levels checked.

If those check out talk with a dietician. Try taking some Metamucil to help regulate your bowel movements.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
    scottosan
    (male)

scottosan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clairesage View Post
    Hello, for the past three months I have began eating healthier and exercising more than I have for a while. I eat a mostly vegan diet with a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. The life change is in pursuit of weight loss and general health improvement. My gut is still distended and I have bowel movements infrequently. I get enough fiber so that's not the problem. I go for really long walks everyday for my exercise and I eat well but weight loss isn't happening. What am I missing?
    You have to track your calories. Less in and more expended. If you are mostly vegan, make sure you are getting enough iron and b12 and those are common deficiencies in Vegans who exercise. Also, long walks don't burn much calories beyond you basal metabolic rate. Get a heart rate monitor and basically elevated heart rate means extra calories are being burned. If you do not have an active job, long walks alone isn't going to do it.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
    Saty98
    (male)

Saty98 HB User

Hi,
    I think you should take a healthy breakfast with protein.it is more important that you add most of the protein foods.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clairesage View Post
    Hello,.... What am I missing?
    How much is "a lot of fruit"? One, two, three or four servings? I'm a vegan who eats about 6 to 8 servings (a wide variety) of fruits per day. Some days it might be as many as 10 servings! One serving is a half cup. I have 2 to 3 bowel movements per day.

What vegetables do you favor? Starchy vegetables? That could be the problem. You need a wide variety of dark leafy greens, yellow squash, Italian squash, red onions, broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage, carrots, etc. Go for a wide variety of colors.

Whole grains: Not all whole grain products are good. Some whole grain breads are made with finely ground flour (like pastry flour) and contain corn syrup. Intact grains like steel cut oats and whole wheat berries etc. are so much better. And there are better quality breads too. Some are made with 7 sprouted organic grains and no sweeteners or preservatives. They would be in the freezer section. You buy them frozen and keep them in your freezer at home.

You said you get enough fiber. How much is enough? You would need at least 25 to 35 grams of fiber per day.

Too many nuts, chips and popcorn can be constipating, so stick to the suggested serving size and drink plenty of water.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-08-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Closed Thread