It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• To eat, or not to eat questions, etc. ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
    nopeda
    (male)

nopeda HB User
    To eat, or not to eat questions, etc. ...

Hi,

I'm 58 years old and have just recently begun thinking about what I guess is good fat. And good cholesterol? I had though that some fat is less bad than other fat but that all of it is bad...not that any of it is actually "good" for you, and that good fat actually helps reduce bad fat. I never would have guessed that one. So now instead of eating cookies or cakes for desert I'm eating peanuts and a banana, or raisins. And have changed from eating low fat lunch meat to including tuna and salmon and sardines.

Something I'm wondering about now is, is it sometimes better to eat some foods in addition to, not just instead of. Like is it better to eat northern beans and blackeye peas in addition to whatever else I would eat instead of just not eating them? And what about the olive oil? Is it better to eat that than not to? And the clam chowder? And pork and beans and chili beans? And I'm really curious about the minestone and cream of mushroom soup. From my ignorant pov looking at the nutritional info it appears that it would be better to eat those things than not to, and also the clam chowder. And probably the olive oil. Does it have about 12g/12% of good fat even though it's not listed on the label?

total fat sat fat trans fat cholest protein pu fat mu fat
    A. 12g 18% 2g 10% 0g 5mg 2% 6g
    B. 3g 5% 1g 5% 0g 10mg 3% 5g 1g 0.5g
    C. 0.5g 1% 0g 0g 0mg 4g 0g 0g
    D. 2g 3% 0.5g 3% 0g < 5mg 2% 1g 1g 0.5g
    E. 14g 21% 2g 9% 0g 0mg 0g
    F. 0g 0g 0g 25mg 8% 11g
    G. 5g 8% 1g 6% 0g 40mg 13% 12g
    H. 8g 10% 2g 10% 0g 115mg 38% 19g 0g 0g
    I. 6g 10% 1.5g 7% 0g 70mg 24% 14g
    J. 1g 2% 0g 0g 0mg 6g
    K. 0.5g 1% 0g 0g 0mg 10g
    L. 1g 2% 0g 0g 0mg 6g
    M. 0g 0g 0g 0mg 7g 0g 0g
    O. 16g 24% 2.5g 13% 0g 0mg 7g

A. Cambell's home style clam chowder
    B. Cambell's healthy request chunky clam chowder
    C. Cambell's healthy request minestrone
    D. Cambell's healthy request cream of mushroom soup
    E. Betrolli extra virgin olive oil
    F. Great Value chunk light tuna in water
    G. Double "Q" pink salmon
    H. Beach Cliff sardines in water
    I. Beach Cliff sardines in soybean oil
    J. VanCamp's pork and beans
    K. Grea Value blackeye peas
    L. Bush's Best chili beans
    M. Great Value great northern beans
    N. Great Value dry roasted peanuts
    O. Jif creamy peanut butter

pu = polyunsaturated mu = monounsaturated

Other basic questions:
    What about when it says 0 fat even though legumes or whatever are supposed to have good fat? How do they not have any?
    Can anyone suggest what to eat to help build testosterone back up?
    Is one better than the other, peanuts or peanut butter?
    Are red grapes the best grapes to eat?

Thank you for any help learning to understand all this!
    David

Last edited by Administrator; 05-06-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: To eat, or not to eat questions, etc...

Im not going to even attempt to answer each and every nutrition question, but I will talk to you about some of it.

One of the healthiest diets out there is the mediterranean diet. it includes the highest recommend "heart healthy" suggestions world wide and is based on olive oil. Olive oil is good oil because it contains heart healthy Omegas. It is not high in calories and can actually reduce triglycerides (part of your overall cholesterol).

As a person who recently lost my gallbladder- only olive oil is suggested for me to use for cooking and for salad dressings/ etc.

Beans are fine in moderation. They are high in fiber, which is necessary to any diet, but also can have high sodium depending on how they are prepared- packaged beans are not as good as cooking them at home from scratch.

Your soups that you mention, especially clam chowder- is full of fat...its not a good for you food; however, if you love it, eat it. Moderation is key. I woudlnt make it part of your weekly diet, but once in awhile wont hurt you. The healthy request versions have less sodium, less fat....these are better choices then the full fat varieties, but remember they are low cal choices, not necessarily beneficial to you, but better than eating full fat versions.

If you choose to eat any seafood in tins- tuna, sardines, etc- always go for the ones packed in water and remember that you can strain them in a strainer, further rinsing them, to remove any salt which they are packaged in as well. Salt or Sodium can cause heart disease if you eat too much. Its is also bad for you if you have a family history or your own history of heart disease.

Red grapes contain heart healthy reservidol...the same thing in red wine. They are better for you according to some studies, but I just recently read that white/ green grapes also contain reservidol, just smaller amounts. Either way, they are a low cal, no fat fruit which contains vitamin C. Good for you.

Peanuts contain oil..not the good kind; however, they also contain many nutrients which your body needs. They are a good snack in moderation. A better nut to eat is almonds or walnuts. Each also contain the same oils, but with higher levels of nutrients. Peanut butter (my own personal favorite) should be consumed in small quantities, as it is not only fattening, but also has cholesterol. With my gallbladder recently being removed, it is on my "do not eat" list, but I manage to get a few tastes a week in without problem.

People without a gallbladder do not digest fats FYI....so we have to be really careful about which oils/ fats we eat.

Hope this helps alittle.

Last edited by MSNik; 05-07-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Closed Thread