It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• How can I improve my relationship with my GP over diet and weight issues?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
    jlhbr17

jlhbr17 HB User
    How can I improve my relationship with my GP over diet and weight issues?

I have an issue with my weight, because I am naturally thin and I lose weight very easily. I've been on dietary monitoring for a long time now and I have a GP who both thinks I have a ED and is adamantly trying to figure out why and thinks I'm lying to her and am trying to cover it up.

I know I'm thin. I know my weight is serious. I don't restrict my diet in order to lose weight. I don't purge my food.

Much of her concerns come from the fact that I *did* skip meals before, but it wasn't because I was trying to lose weight. Some of it was because of stupid things like unhealthily prioritizing lunch-hour errands above actually eating.

However, she put me on a medicine that has addressed appetite issues and now I don't skip meals. The only problem is, my weight just dropped again, so I just had another uncomfortable appointment.

I don't really think it's psychological. I have a shoe-string budget, so I don't have the resources to buy the amount of food I would like to. Last time I saw her, I was in a situation were I was staying with a family member where finances weren't an issue, so I had more higher calorie meals, but I'm back in my old situation. I tried to explain this to her a little, but it was little or no help. She still thinks it's psychological. I've gotten counseling for other while seeing her. An ED was never diagnosed.

What should I do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: How can I improve my relationship with my GP over diet and weight issues?

There's no reason why you can't go for a second opinion with a new doctor who hasn't already pre-judged you.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Eat! Start eating high calorie food as snacks...even if it is healthy, things like Hummus (as a dip) and sour cream (full fat kind) with chips (also high in calories) will help.

If you can, eat some fat more often that you normally do. Chips, red meat, cheese, pizza- these are all things which will help you gain weight.

Your sure it isnt a thyroid problem, then it has to be a calorie issue. Take in more calories, gain a few lbs, and then your doctor will have to back off.

Doctors can only go by what is in front of them. ALthough I very much doubt you have an eating disorder based on what you said- your doctor can only go by your BMI and weight, and you have to be underweight for your size for her to be so concerned. Try to put on 5 lbs and show her that you are not starving yourself...that should help.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

You say you are naturally thin. That's not so unusual as lots of young, and older people too, are naturally thin. Being thin, in and of itself, is not necessarily a symptom of disease. And it seems your doctor has not diagnosed any disease.

My belief is that if you are healthy and eat a healthy diet (with sufficient calories) you shouldn't worry about being naturally thin.

However, if you wish to gain some weight but can't afford much food, why don't you apply for some food assistance?

Closed Thread