It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Eating healthy when working weird hours

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 AM   #1
AnnLiz13
(female)

AnnLiz13 HB User
Eating healthy when working weird hours

Hello everyone,

I'm a student but I also work in retail to pay my loans and my rent, and I often work weird hours.

Most of the time, I work from 12:30pm to 9:30pm, and I live one hour away from my work place, which means I can't have a normal meal schedule.

I have a lunch break around 3pm and a shorter break around 6pm. I'd eat lunch at 3, and then at 6 I either have a snack or a small dinner, because I'm not very hungry since lunch was only 3 hours ago. But then when I come home around 10:30 at night I get really hungry and I'm tired and sometimes frustrated with work, I tend to snack or eat unhealthy food even though I really dislike eating that late and going to bed right after.

Not being able to really sit down and relax and enjoy neither my lunch or my dinner has taken a toll on me and I gained weight in the past few months despite being on my feet running around all day...

Does anyone have any ideas to help me with that situation?

Last edited by AnnLiz13; 06-16-2017 at 02:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Eating healthy when working weird hours

What time do you wake up? I would concentrate on eating a hearty breakfast, with allot of protein. Hard boiled eggs, meat - whatever you like first thing in the morning. By adding whole grains (whole wheat or rice) you will keep fuller longer. Maybe try to eat a lighter lunch at 3 pm and pack a bigger snack for your 6 pm break which incorporates more fruit and veggies..a salad would be good. You could also eat tuna salad.. if you cant finish it all, dont. Take it home with you and eat it when you get home. Having something already made will help you from eating unhealthy and keep you eating lighter.
The other thing you could do is pack a smaller lunch altogether, splitting the portions into both lunch and your "when you get home" meal.
It isnt easy, I know. I work 3 jobs and eat on the run all the time, but have a schedule where I do not buy anything out at all- I only eat what I bring with me and I tend to bring allot of smaller portion things such as yogurt, cottage cheese in individual portions, fruit (already cut up), baby carrots and celery and now that its getting to that time of year, Ill have watermelon anytime I want something sweet!
Good luck!

Reply Reply