It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Pure ingredients to use in a shaker?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
nad12
(male)

nad12 HB User
Pure ingredients to use in a shaker?

Hi,
I would like to make my own health shake that I intend to consume EACH day.
I will not be blending the ingredients but instead look to shake them in one of those protein shakers.
When looking online at all these health powders I see many ingredients that sound exotic but at the same time I ask are they needed, good for you, or are they just fillers.

I would like to produce my own shake, at least this way I know exactly what is in it. It needs to be healthy and not bad for you as I intend to have one each day.
I would like your input to what powders I should include in this shake.

So far, I'm thinking:
1) 2 scoops of gluten free instant oats (powder form)
2) half a tea spoon of green tea extract
3) a tea spoon of spirulina

What else can I use for general health that is in powder form?
Is instants oats in powder form as healthy as normal, non-powder oats?
Should I use green tea extract with spirulina?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Pure ingredients to use in a shaker?

You seem very enthusiastic about making a powder shake so I'm sorry if my answer disappoints you, but I have to say "no" it's not healthy.

It has to do with the way refined carbohydrate gets digested and absorbed into your bloodstream. In powder form will breakdown fast and zip right into your bloodstream spiking your blood sugar and insulin. That's not at all healthy.

I use the least processed form of oats which is Traditional Steel Cut Oats. It has to simmer for 30 minutes but ends up slightly chunky. This means it takes time for absorption into your bloodstream and keeps you satisfied longer. It keeps your blood sugar steadier.

Spirulina likely has about 10 risky side effects and that should be enough to keep anyone from using it. Why take all those risks?

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-02-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
nad12
(male)

nad12 HB User
Re: Pure ingredients to use in a shaker?

Thank you for your response.
Okay, so it sounds like I won't be taking one each day.
When you mention refined carbs can spike one's blood sugar - would it be a good idea to have the shake (refined carbs) just before a workout so it acts like a energy drink (i.e. provides you with energy)?

I won't be buying any more but I still have 11kgs of the stuff that I don't particularly want to waste.

Reply Reply