It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Is my diet okay?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
hbguy1
(male)

hbguy1 HB User
Is my diet okay?

Hello,

I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) which causes my esophagus to become inflamed from time to time making it difficult to swallow food. I have changed my diet to foods that seem to work for me, but I was wondering if I am doing myself any harm with my diet.

Breakfast: Gluten free oatmeal with bran buds, raisins, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, flax seed, chia seed, and cinnamon. The seeds are generously added.

Lunch: Mostly cafeteria food at my workplace. I always choose salad as a side and never eat fries or onion rings. Mostly pasta, chicken wraps, and the occasional stir fry.

Afternoon snack: I eat a large serving of mixed fruits (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, banana, raspberries, and pear.)

Dinner: I've been eating a rice and chicken bowl from a popular restaurant chain (Chipotle) every day for supper for the last 2 months in a row. I checked the ingredients and the only thing that appears to be bad is the sodium content, which is around 1,600 mg per meal. I do not add any cheese or sour cream sauce and only get the mild sauce. The bowl consists of rice, chicken, black beans, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, and lettuce.

After dinner: I eat a bowl of broccoli and kale, sometimes adding asparagus, beets, and red/yellow peppers.

Drinks: I usually drink carbonated water with lunch and dinner since it is easier to swallow foods. I never drink soda and try to have tea (ginger or turmeric) once per day.

Avoid: I try to avoid foods with dairy, fish, nuts, and wheat where possible since it is known to cause inflammation.

Exercise: I'm in my mid 30s (in good shape) and I weight lift 4 times per week and run about 10 km every weekend.

Apart from lunch, the foods that I eat are pretty much the same every day because this diet seems to be helping me as far as keeping inflammation under control.

Do you see any red flags?

Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-24-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Is my diet okay?

Quote:
hbguy1: Do you see any red flags
To my knowledge, an overly acidic diet is the cause of inflammation. Alkaline foods bring balance so you can occasionally have something that is mildly acidic.

In general, all animal protein is acid-forming in the body. Outside the body meat is slightly alkaline. It has to do with the way it's metabolized. So I think you should have included red meat, chicken, pork etc. in your list of foods to avoid. Not all nuts are the same. Peanuts are highly acidic but Almonds are slightly alkaline.

Corn and salt is acid forming.

Surprisingly, tomatoes, lemons, limes and grapefruit have an alkaline effect on the body. That's because it has to do with the way they are metabolized. So those 4 items should be good for you. Tea is very acidic but maybe not so bad if you put fresh lemon juice in it.

Dried fruit is acid-forming so raisins might best be left out of your oatmeal.

Other than the fruits mentioned above, most fruit is mildly acid-forming but I wouldn't eliminate fruit because it's very healthy. One other, Avocado, has an alkaline effect.

It's strange how some food items can be slightly alkaline or neutral but can be acid-forming in the body. Sugar, for example, is neutral but acid-forming in the body.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-03-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I made some corrections and additions to my previous post. Mainly because it was misleading to just say that something is acidic, like meat. Meat is slightly alkaline outside the body but is acid-forming in the body. It seems that everything gets turned around - tomatoes, lemons, limes and grapefruit are acid but have an alkaline effect when metabolized.

Small amounts of meat, like chicken, may be okay when balanced by alkaline foods such as those commonly found in salads: Such things as dark leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers etc., with fresh lemon juice and possibly a teaspoon of olive oil.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
hbguy1
(male)

hbguy1 HB User

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. People with EoE can follow an elimination diet where they eliminate milk, egg, wheat, soy, peanuts/treenuts, and seafood (fish/shellfish). Apparently, these foods are common triggers for EoE which is inflammation (and narrowing) of the esophagus.

In the elimination diet, there is no mention of removing other acidic foods from the diet. It is already pretty intense and I'm only able to follow it partially. It's especially hard to avoid wheat and dairy (but I no longer consume milk as a beverage and no more cereal either).

I suppose my question was mostly aimed at my dinner routine. In my current diet, I'm consuming about 7 servings of fruits/vegetables combined per day which I think is pretty good. But I'm also eating Chipotle every night (ingredients outlined in my first post). Do you think this is a bad habit that I should avoid? (the ingredients are outlined in my first post).

Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbguy1 View Post

I suppose my question was mostly aimed at my dinner routine. In my current diet, I'm consuming about 7 servings of fruits/vegetables combined per day which I think is pretty good. But I'm also eating Chipotle every night (ingredients outlined in my first post). Do you think this is a bad habit that I should avoid? (the ingredients are outlined in my first post).
The Chipotle doesn't seem too bad for a restaurant meal that one might have occasionally. Yes, the sodium is high and that alone would keep me from eating it everyday. Without actually seeing it, it seems like corn and rice together in the same meal might be a bit too starchy. If the lettuce is ice burg lettuce, it won't have a lot of nutrition. Romaine would be better.

The fact that it has 2 different beans and tomatoes is very good.

I would recommend a buffet that has lots of healthy choices. I have been to such places where I load up on fresh fruit, beans, tomatoes, both cooked and raw vegetables etc.. Of course I eat better when I fix my own meals so I haven't been eating out much lately.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-03-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Reply Reply