It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Questions about plant based diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
    Farrahx
    (female)

Farrahx HB User
    Questions about plant based diet

Can people obtain sufficient protein daily when on a plant based diet? Will eating a diet high in carbohydrates cause weight gain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Questions about plant based diet

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farrahx View Post
    Can people obtain sufficient protein daily when on a plant based diet?
    I assume you are referring to a vegan diet. Sure, you can get sufficient protein daily if you do it right. I've been a vegan for 12 years and I was once told by a health coach that I should be careful not to get too much protein. I like all kinds of beans, lentils and split peas and I have to restrain myself so as not to get too much protein. All other vegan (whole foods) like fresh whole fruit and vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds contain complete protein too.

Quote:
    Will eating a diet high in carbohydrates cause weight gain?
    If you become a vegan, almost everything you eat will contain some carbohydrate. You would just need to limit the starchy (higher calorie) carbs like bread, rice, corn and white potatoes. (Avocado should be limited to a 1/4 cup serving.) When I eat any of the above starchy carbs I try to limit myself to one serving per meal.

It's just like any other regimen in that it can be done in a healthy or unhealthy way. For example, sugar is a vegan item but is not recommended if being healthy is your goal.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

This may be a better explanation for protein:

All plant foods contain enough complete protein to satisfy our daily requirement as long as we meet our calorie requirement from whole plant foods. That's because we only need 2.5 to 10% of our calories from protein.

The following is a list of various foods along with their average protein content. (USDA)

Fruit: ..............6.7%

Nuts & Seeds.....11%

Grains:..............13%

Vegetables.........22%

Beans................28%

Therefore, if you become a vegan and you get enough calories from whole plant foods to maintain your weight, you will automatically get enough protein. As you can see, beans contain more protein than other plant foods. So it's your choice. If you think you will not get enough protein, you can always include a serving of beans with your meal. Beans are very healthful and go good in a salad or soup.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
    Jojr
    (male)

Jojr HB User

It's my opinion that when you are lifting weights, then you will need at least the 10% protein to maximize recovery.

It doesn't matter that plant based diets are high in carbohydrates. It will not make you gain weight for that reason alone.

Carbohydrates are your bodies main fuel source. A lot of low carbohydrate foods with high bad fat and cholesterol are bad on your heart and arteries.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
    DTr
    (male)

DTr HB User

I feel so much lighter when I eat vegan. As for protein, there are many complete protein plant foods like different kinds of seeds and so on.

Closed Thread