It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

issues with keeping up with the calories

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
gen009
(male)

gen009 HB User
issues with keeping up with the calories

Hi, I have question regarding my specific scenario that i am hoping someone can answer and help me understand. I have chronic GERD problem which limits me from eating alot.(I have tried to fix this in every possible way from ACV to Nexium to TUMS, but none have seemed to work and fails at one or other point. but that is a whole different topic)
Now my body weight and height MALE ( 170lbs x 170 cm) for 27 YO calls for approximately 2500 Calories per day to gain muscles mass, which is what my goal is. The most i can ingest without causing all kinds of symptoms is 1400!.
Now my question and concern is, i have been eating that amount of calories, infact less than 1400 sometimes. And Technically if i go by books, i should be shedding pounds and have no muscles at all But i still dont see any weight loss and also no weight gain. My muscle definition is definitely not like Arnold but dont look like those skinny guys in Africa either . Does this mean my body has adjusted itself to survive at 1400 and if i try to eat surplus such as 1600 it will use extra for Muscle build up? Or am i just wasting my time at gym lifting weight and it can never build muscles with that much calories.
P.s I have about 20-25% BF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: issues with keeping up with the calories

It's likely you haven't fixed your GERD problem because you may be eating the wrong foods. Perhaps you should work on that first.

But you want to know about muscle building: I think you can try building muscle with 1400 calories. Then if your body needs more calories, you should become aware of it because you will get hungry sooner. For example, if I don't workout in the morning, I will usually get hungry around noon. But if I workout, I will get hungry sooner. If I exercise in the evening, I will wake up around 2:30 in the morning feeling hungry. So go by how you feel.

Also, keep in mind that muscle building is limited by your genetic predisposition and you may have already reached your limit.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Reply Reply