It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Is this a healthy diet?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Dear aveas,

I am so sorry that you suffer paranoid schizophrenia and need to take meds. That’s so difficult to live with. Do you have a good support system of family, friends? Having emotional support and the way we eat matters all the more when we suffer mentally/emotionally. I know because I suffered debilitating depression well into my 40’s. Mine was due to tragic losses and maternal abuse. I am 68 now and have been mentally balanced since getting appropriate mental health care with a great psychologist and changing my eating habits. I tried a psyche drug (elavil) only one time and hated how it felt so I never used other drugs, but do use some overthecounter products such as melatonin. I’m not telling you what treatment to use; I’m sharing my own experience.

One thing I learned that I needed to do was eat enough (I was very skinny) and also to eat right (I did not give up my comfort foods like chips, but I cut way back on those) so as to feed my mind/brain and get more balanced. Because you suffer that disorder it seems to me all the more reason to eat right and eat well as much as possible. How we eat affects our brain function, and so and our thoughts, as it is much harder to think clearly with a sluggish under or over-weight body. How is your weight for your height? Are you suffering obesity or are you too thin? Do you have the financial resources for a good diet? If not, can you get food stamps or go to local food banks?

From my own experience, I really think it’s dangerous for our mental health to eat like you have been eating. We need to remember that the human body does not have bird or animal digestive systems or the same cognitive capacity. We don't regurgitate to digest or have two stomachs, etc. We cannot live on grass or seeds alone and be healthy. We cannot chew and digest bone like dogs. Animals and birds also operate out of pure instinct. The human body does not share the needs of bovine animals or birds. Read up on the various animal digestive systems to see what I am saying.

I see why you choose to eat like you do. You can pulverize your food into 'shakes' and still get complete proteins. But in my opinion right now, you aren't. Do you blend the tortilla and potato chips? If you don't, then it seems that you could get used to eating other food if you chew it appropriately. If you don’t want to eat meat, can you eat eggs? What foods are you eating to get enough essential oils, calcium, or protein or other minerals?

Any oil that has been heated such as what is in chips turns rancid right away when exposed to air. Chips are definitely exposed to air and are full of rancid oil. Open a bag and smell them then smell them after a day. Look up each food that you eat and read the nutritional value, esp. the fat, sodium and potassium count. I would stop the graham crackers completely as they have no redeeming value. Make sure that you don’t eat more than one banana a day. You don’t want too much potassium. And, you don’t want the female hormones that are in soy oil. Soy is added to many pre-prepared products.

Let me add that changing our diet drastically improves our mental health. We think more clearly when physically we feel much better. You can eat very healthily without eating meat. But you need to learn the right combinations and you need to eat the foods that provide the protein. I really think you need to improve your diet, get more protein and cut back on the salt and fat that is high in chips…and it’s not healthy fat, either. In a few weeks I think you would be surprised how much better you feel. I still eat chips once in awhile. If the diet is otherwise very good it doesn't do lasting harm to eat chips occasionally.

I helped myself reach a healthy weight (and healthier thinking, as what we eat affects our brain function) by making smoothies with powdered whey protein which is healthy and very satisfying, and I added a variety of the dark colored fruits that are highest in the best nutrition. One container of whey protein is not cheap but it does go a long way and it’s easy to digest. You have a blender so you can make healthy and balanced shakes. Frozen mixed berries is rather inexpensive at discount grocery stores. And, it’s delicious. I had the shakes two times a day and ate a healthy diet and I never felt better.

Do you think any of this might help you eat a more balanced diet?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

To Aveas: In your first post you had a list of foods which included "lean meats" and you asked for opinions. I replied that I had no problem with the food categories you had listed. So I'm not against people eating meat if that's what they want. Having said that, I'm posting this as a correction plus additional information on plant combining, which I think you may find interesting. I hope it will be of some help as you try to decide what to eat.

My statement about big strong animals surviving on plants may have been out-of-line because I don't know enough about their metabolism.

However, the idea of combining various plant foods to get complete protein is based on studies that were done on rats a little over 100 years ago.

Researchers noticed that rats grew faster when plant foods were combined so that the amino acid profile more closely resembled that of animal protein. However, to make a long story short, it was eventually realized that baby rats are not the same as human babies. It takes a human baby 6 months to double its weight after being born, whereas a baby rat doubles its weight in four and a half days.

That's where the idea came from that plant protein is inferior to animal protein. A book was written in 1971 based on those studies. Ten years later the author wrote another book and admitted to making a mistake.

The problem is: Once the wrong idea became widely accepted from the first book, the second book has not been completely successful in turning things around.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

aveas, how are you doing with your diet? How are you feeling?

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Hey YaYagirl,

I've been on and off with my diet. I've been feeling pretty lousy lately. Paranoid delusions and all.

The following user gives a hug of support to aveas:
YaYagirl (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #20
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm so sorry aveas.

I wonder if a healthy balanced diet would help even out your ups and downs some. I took Elavil just one time for my ups and downs, and really hated how it felt. I never liked feeling 'high', so I never took any anti-psychotic drug again, even though my lows were dangerously low. I was used to always feeling down back then. It felt awful, but it was a familiar feeling.

I can somewhat imagine what you go through. A really great psychologist is what eventually helped me face things about myself and my life. I admit that facing those things was terrifyingly disturbing. But it set me free when I saw what was someone else's problem and what was my own.

I believe in prayer so I will pray for you, if you don't mind.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #21
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to aveas:
YaYagirl (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #22
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: Is this a healthy diet?

How are you doing, aveas?
Is there anything you want to talk about? I've been thinking about you.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #23
789456Jenna
(female)

789456Jenna HB User

Hello there, Aveas!

You had a great diet. If you want a calorie restricted diet, just add egg in your daily meal. =)

Old 04-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #24
Lisam\
(female)

Lisam\ HB User

I think So. These are essentials to our body. You can also include milk and milk products along with this.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #25
Travi
(male)

Travi HB User

We are over-carbed. Did you know a glass of really healthy grape juice already has like 150 calories? If you have that with every meal, that's enough carbs for the day, if you include the calories you get from omega-3 healthy fats and the protein.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-28-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 AM   #26
danielh12
(male)

danielh12 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Yes, this all considers in healthy diet but we all know Lack of water in the body can cause constipation, asthma, allergy, hypertension, migraine and many other health problems. And Vegetables provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body. Same as Fruit are good source of vitamins and minerals, Nuts are packed with protein. So I found only water is missing in the above diet plan which is must as other also in right amount.

Closed Thread