It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Is this a healthy diet?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User
Is this a healthy diet?

Is this a healthy diet?

Water
Vegetables
Fruits
Nuts
Legumes
Beans
Whole grains
Lean meats

I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on the above diet plan. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Those are all healthy choices as long as you are getting some of each every day and in the right amounts...for instance, you cannot eat just fruits and vegetables one day and skip protein and carbs..

Other than that, good choices!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Those are all healthy choices as long as you are getting some of each every day and in the right amounts...for instance, you cannot eat just fruits and vegetables one day and skip protein and carbs..

Other than that, good choices!

Even if I ate only vegetables and fruits one day I could still get carbs. Squashes are a good source of them.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Thumbs up Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Yes avdpeas,

Vegetables and fruits have all the carbs that one needs.
Most grain products should always be kept to a minimum anyway. Oats are one exception, esp. if they are rolled or cracked oats.

But it is way better to make sure to get protein and have a balanced diet every day.
Lean meat, poultry or fish are a great choice. Protein supports your muscles.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 02-09-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
Oats are one exception, esp. if they are rolled or cracked oats.

But it is way better to make sure to get protein and have a balanced diet every day.
Lean meat, poultry or fish are a great choice. Protein supports your muscles.

What about brown rice and quinoa? Also, nuts are a good source of protein. So are legumes and beans.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Rice or quinoa is not protein. They are carbs, but yes they have food value, but they need to be combined with legumes or beans.

Nuts are a good source of protein, but again, not a complete protein. Legumes and beans must be combined with a grain to be a complete protein.

Those foods donít provide all of the essential amino acids to be a complete protein, and so if by themselves they are considered to be an incomplete source of protein.

To eat without meat or poultry or fish, you need to be careful to combine foods so that you are getting complete proteins daily. You can find charts for that on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to YaYagirl For This Useful Post:
dietdiversity (03-29-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

One cup of cooked quinoa contains 8+g of protein, so it's a great source as well as a carbohydrate.

I suggest you have your b vitamin levels (not only b12) and vitamin D checked, especially since you aren't consuming grains.

q

Last edited by quincy; 02-10-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Ok, thanks for the input.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Be aware that one-half cup of quinoa contains 20 grams of carbohydrates compared to it's mere 4 grams of protein. So you would need to eat quite a lot to get the healthy percentage of complete protein needed per day by a male.

From your listed diet you will need other sources of protein to maintain or acquire muscle mass. Grains are not the best source of complete protein to maintain health. But if you want to only use grains, then make sure that you consume the appropriate amount per day in order to make sure that the carb content of the grain does not exceed the healthy carb limit per day.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-10-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
From your listed diet you will need other sources of protein to maintain or acquire muscle mass.

Other sources of protein, such as...?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Per one of my other posts, get protein from lean meat or poultry or fish.

You can find healthy protein source charts on the internet that list how much is needed per day. Your specific needs are based on whether you need to maintain health or gain or lose weight. You need to figure those details out for yourself.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-10-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I have no problem with the food categories you have listed. But it doesn't represent a complete diet plan until you state the number of servings of each per day. Quality and variety within each category are also very important.

The average American eats two to two and a half times more protein than what their body requires. Because of this, the average American is deficient in plant fiber. Fiber is not only important for regularity, it also helps to stabilize blood sugar and insulin. Fiber helps to prevent over eating because it gives a feeling of fullness. And, most importantly, fiber is needed to maintain a healthy immune system. Micro flora in the gut feed on fiber and it is the community of microbes that regulate your immune system.

It's also important to consume a wide variety of healthful fruits and vegetables, including lots of dark green leafy vegetables. Not just potatoes, corn etc..

P.S. I'm a healthy vegan; I have been for the past 13 years. On occasion, I used to worry about getting enough protein. But I'm doing extremely well so I try not to worry about it. I no longer worry about balancing protein. All plants, including fruits, contain complete protein. So if you eat a wide variety of plant foods, you should get enough protein. (Obviously, some plants contain more protein than others.)

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Dear aveas,

I wonder if you suffer any health issues or take any medications or supplements? Diet ideally needs to consider the entire state of your health, height, age, body weight, and so on. If you are under or over weight or have any disease or nutritional deficiencies makes a big difference in what your body requires. And, not everyone digests foods the same. I have food sensitivities that interfere with my health and what I can digest. You need to figure that out for your own needs. It would help to get the aid of a dietitian.

Not all foods contain complete protein, so some combinations don't provide health or balance for every person. It takes some studying and sometimes months of trial to learn and what is specifically best for you as an individual unless you get a professional health work up. That some people are perfectly healthy and functioning does not mean you are or will be by the way you eat, so you need to educate yourself and learn about food balance for your own specific needs, and then monitor your own nutrients. The effects of food imbalance can take a long time to show symptoms and isn't the best way to find out how to eat for your health.

Complete proteins contain adequate essential amino acids. Animal foods such as dairy products, eggs, meat, poultry, seafood, and soy are complete protein sources. Plant foods, beans and peas, grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables contain inadequate amounts of protein by themselves, so they are considered to be incomplete protein. Two or more incomplete protein sources when eaten in combination at the same meal or same day usually will balance out the necessary amino acids. So, I am not saying you have to eat meat. I am saying that you need to to learn which foods balance out other foods to make the very necessary daily complete protein.

You can find this information out for yourself here ~ https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/InteractiveNutritionFactsLabel/protein.html

I cannot know whether you are eating according to your true personal needs. You have to figure that out for yourself or consult a dietitian that learns what and how much you need to eat based on your age, gender, height, weight and level of health, fitness, exercise & activity. Nutritional needs are different for every person.

Best health to you,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 02-10-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
aveas
(male)

aveas HB User

YaYagirl

I was officially diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I take a couple medications and one supplement. I understand that plant foods need to be combined to get all of the essential amino acids. I have not been eating any legumes or beans. The only grain I have been eating is oats. The medication that I am taking gives me dysphagia, so I have been putting all of the plant foods that I eat into the nutribullet and blending them together.

Here is what I have been eating and drinking lately:

Water
Fruits (avocados, apples, bananas)
Vegetables (broccoli, spring mix, escarole, carrots, green leaf lettuce)
Oats (gluten free quick cooking oats)
Graham crackers
Organic rice milk
Hommus
Sugar cookies
Oatmeal raisin cookies
Wholly Guacamole
Tortilla chips
Potato chips

I know I am missing three food groups when compared to my original list, but I am just going to have to work on it (maybe). I also know that I have not been making the healthiest choices. I still believe that one can get all of the most essential nutrients from vegetables and fruits alone.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Aveas,

Your choice of fruits seem fine but don't be afraid to experiment by occasionally adding others for variety.

You listed some very good vegetables. I like all of those myself, plus many others.

Oats are good. I have oats every morning as part of my breakfast.

I'm a big health nut so I don't eat cookies or chips.

Quote:
I still believe that one can get all of the most essential nutrients from vegetables and fruits alone.
I have to agree that it is possible. Although, to play it safe, I would keep the oatmeal and add some legumes, whole grains and nuts in moderation.

Last night I was thinking about our protein requirement and how to illustrate the appropriateness or completeness of plant protein. And suddenly it came to me: Big strong animals like elephants, horses, and cows, all need lots of complete protein just as we do. And where do they get it from? Plants!

And I don't think they are aware of any need to combine one plant with another to make the protein complete. Any plant foods available to them are automatically complete.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Closed Thread