It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Low Carb?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
MPA26
(female)

MPA26 HB User
Low Carb?

I was trying to do the keto diet and I have learned that an all day low carb diet is just not something I am going to be able to maintain. I need carbs in my life. So I was thinking maybe eating 2 of my meals out of day as keto meals and then allowing myself to have one regular meal where I can eat carbs. I wont go overboard but it would be nice to have some regular pasta now and then instead of the stuff made out of zucchini. It does not taste the same. I dont care what anyone says. My question is do you think doing this sort of keto diet will help me lose weight? Has anyone had any experience with it? I would think reducing carbs would help even if I dont go full out keto. Thanks for the replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
face1985
(male)

face1985 HB User
Re: Low Carb?

hi there,
its face here. if you are on the keto diet then it is good to maintain for a few weeks and then have a cheat meal or a few days off. This is because if your body is in ketosis ie using fat for fuel as apposed to glucose then having pasta once a day for a meal will bring you out of ketosis.

Lowering the amount of carbs you eat should help you shift weight, providing that you exercise and dont eat excessively. I find the keto diet personally to be the diet for me as the fats keep me full for a long time. However every body is different and must find out for themselves what works and feels best for them through trial and error.

I dont like eating carbs such as pasta and rices as there is little nutritional value in them and are just a "filler". There are some great gluten free pasta out there such as chick pea pasta which i find works just as well as normal pasta for a spagetti bolognaise.

baking vegetables in lard along with a portion of meat fills me up and i dont crave carbs.

having a carb meal once a day should be fine and if combined with a run or swim one hopes that the weights will get slimmer.

all the best.

face.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Low Carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA26 View Post
I would think reducing carbs would help even if I dont go full out keto.
I believe you are correct.

All plant foods contain carbohydrates and carbs are important to maintain a healthy diet. The important thing is where you get your carbs from and how much. The carbs you want to avoid are highly refined like baked goods made with white flour. And baked goods often contain sugar, that's another highly refined carb. So it would be best to avoid white flour and sugar.

Complex carbs are good for your health in moderation. As far as my own diet, I eat one serving of whole grain with each meal. In the morning I have one serving of steel cut oats. For the other two meals I might have one serving of whole grain rice, bread made from sprouts or whole grain pasta. A serving size is whatever it says on the package and I always go by that. No more and no less.

The rest of my diet consists of fresh fruit, a wide variety of vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds for fat. (I don't use any oil.) All of these items contain carbohydrate but they are healthful because they represent a diet high in nutrition/fiber.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Reply Reply