It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

canned sardines Vitamin D

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
musiclvr56
(female)

musiclvr56 HB User
canned sardines Vitamin D

On websites, it states that canned sardines has Vitamin D. I have two brands and neither of them state Vitamin D on the label. Could it be because they are in water opposed to oil?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: canned sardines Vitamin D

They're considered a fatty fish, so it would be in the flesh. It would depend on the type of oil used in the can as to whether that has vitamin D naturally as well.
Check the label to see how much for how many sardines.

Do you take D3 supplement?

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclvr56 View Post
On websites, it states that canned sardines has Vitamin D. I have two brands and neither of them state Vitamin D on the label. Could it be because they are in water opposed to oil?
There are certain brands that don't state the nutrition on the can. Perhaps it's because there's not enough room. Usually, there might be an address that you can write to to find out. But sardines are sardines regardless of whether they are packed in water or oil and they are a great source of vitamin D.

A word of caution: Oily fish like sardines (containing omega 3 fish oil) will thin your blood so it's not a good idea to eat a whole can every day, like I once did. My blood got so thin that if I cut myself, it would take quite a while to stop bleeding. In addition to that, I would bruise easily. I played volley ball and my hands got black and blue marks all over.

I believe the same is true for (omega 3) fish oil supplements. The blood can become very thin if taken daily in large doses.

What happens if a person gets into a bad car accident and has internal bleeding? How will doctors stop the bleeding?

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-19-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

If you are looking to raise your Vitamin D; do it naturally. 20 minutes of sun a day will give you more than enough dosage of normal Vitamin D needed to be healthy. More than that and you start risking skin diseases; so if you are outside more than 20 minutes, please wear sunscreen.

All you need to do is sit outside or take a walk around the block..as long as your arms and face are exposed to sunlight, you are getting your vitamin D.

Sardines do have vitamin D in the flesh of the fish; however, unless you are eating the skin, you arent getting any. Even if you are eating the skin the amount you take in is so low, they don't have to put it on the can.

Milk which is fortified with vitamin D (most milks are) along with cottage cheese, yogurt and sour cream also contain Vitamin D and the amounts are always on the package. Why are you concerned about this? Are you vitamin D deficient? If so, your doctor can prescribe Vitamin D prescription strength to help raise your levels.

Reply Reply

Tags
nutrition facts, vitamin d3