It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Mediterranean diet help re: too much fiber!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
russok
(male)

russok HB User
Unhappy Mediterranean diet help re: too much fiber!

I am moving into this diet to get my blood pressure down, but it is just too much fiber throughout the day.

Is there something I can do/take to get my stool more binded?

I enjoy the food very much aside from that. Fruit in the morning, grains for lunch, veggies at night...did the Mediterranean people live in the bathroom?

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Mediterranean diet help re: too much fiber!

I use that diet too.

Hmmm...where is the rest of the diet?
Aren't you eating legumes and nuts?
Red meat a few times a month.
Fish and poultry at least twice a week.
Using olive oil and canola oil.
Using herbs and spices instead of salt.

Hon, you need to eat a balanced diet to have balanced bowel movements.
Some people are intolerant of milk, but you do need to keep up your calcium intake somehow or risk osteoporosis. I managed to do that to myself. Now I am back to including yogurt and cottage cheese and I take vitamin D.

Let me know if that helps you out.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
russok
(male)

russok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
I use that diet too.

Hmmm...where is the rest of the diet?
Aren't you eating legumes and nuts?
Red meat a few times a month.
Fish and poultry at least twice a week.
Using olive oil and canola oil.
Using herbs and spices instead of salt.

Hon, you need to eat a balanced diet to have balanced bowel movements.
Some people are intolerant of milk, but you do need to keep up your calcium intake somehow or risk osteoporosis. I managed to do that to myself. Now I am back to including yogurt and cottage cheese and I take vitamin D.

Let me know if that helps you out.
Sorry, I was generalizing about the diet. My stools aren't BAD, just more loose than normal. Maybe this is how they're supposed to be? They are also suddenly in an "S' shape.

Here's a typical day's meals. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Breakfast: rice cereal, milk, banana, green tea with honey

Lunch: PB&J on whole grain bread, nonfat greek yogurt, almonds or dried fruit, a cookie or two

Dinner: Chicken, white or brown rice, and a vegetable. Then a scoop or two of ice cream. I always need dessert. What's a good alternative? Frozen yogurt?

Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

russok,

As far as fiber goes, I've gone beyond the Mediterranean diet. I'm a vegan, so everything I eat contains fiber. I've been a vegan for about 13 years now and I enjoy it. No meat, dairy or eggs. I get everything I need from plants (except B12 and D3 for which I take supplements) and I'm in excellent health. And there's no need to count calories! BMI = 18 to 18.5. If anything, I need to be careful not to lose weight.

But not all vegans eat healthy. Some eat lots of sugar and white flour etc.. It's the same with the Mediterranean diet. It can be done one way or another with different results.

I'm not quite sure how you're going about it. Do you eat only fruit for breakfast. Only grain for lunch and only veggies at night? That doesn't seem right.

Here's an example of what you could try. Have a bowl of mixed fresh-fruit for breakfast. Follow that with one serving of plain oatmeal with a small amount of chopped nuts mixed in.

Lunch: Make a big salad with dark leafy greens and other healthy vegetables. Then add one cup of beans. Have one slice of whole grain bread with the salad. Maybe one small piece of fruit and a few nuts.

Dinner: Make a vegetable soup with one serving of whole grain pasta and beans or lentils mixed in. Or one serving of rice instead of pasta. The Mediterranean diet allows meat so this is where you can include a small portion of red meat, chicken or fish.

That's just to give you an idea. You can get variety by using different types of legumes, vegetables, fruits and grains.

As far as living in the bathroom, you can expect to have about two bowel movements per day depending on how much animal protein you eat. The more animal protein, the less time you'll spend in the bathroom. More plant foods cause softer, bulkier stools. Lots of animal protein will likely cause smaller, almost rock-hard stools.

As far as blood pressure, mine is 100/50. Although, it may not work the same for you but it's worth a try.

Note: The Mediterranean diet promotes the use of olive oil.
I don't use oil in my diet. I get my fat from raw, unsalted nuts. So if you're going to use a lot of oil, you won't need as many nuts.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-02-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Reply Reply