It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

Too much fruit??

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
babygirl127
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
Too much fruit??

I thought I read that you can eat up to 5 servings of fruit a day. In the summer, I actually have fruit 3 times a day. I went for my yearly blood work and my sugar was 102. Up 10 points from normally 92. I have never had a test that was high till now. I was told you can't eat that much fruit. I have to eat healthy to keep my cholesterol down. SO I eat fruit instead of cookies or cakes, etc. I will say I was eating a banana daily, I see they are high in sugar. So I am just having 3 a week instead. But I am not giving up fruit, I think its ridiculous. I looked up fruits low in glucose, so I have an idea about whats too high. I have changed so instead of eating a banana with oatmeal I am adding berries to that. Lunch, I eat either 1 peach or nectarine. Night either an apple or watermelon. Any advice on how much fruit is bad??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Too much fruit??

I'm glad you asked this question because I too have been worried about eating too much fruit. Every morning I fill a large salad bowl with many different kinds of fruit: 1/2 a banana, 1/3 cup of blueberries, one kiwi, one mandarin orange, a piece of cantaloupe, a piece of pineapple, and about 6 cherries. All together it's about 9 or 10 servings.

After lunch I have about 2 servings of fruit and one serving after dinner. I guess it's safe to say it adds up to about 12 servings per day.

I have been doing this for quite some time and I'm in excellent health. My blood glucose level, when tested, is usually about 86. But still I have been worrying about whether it might be doing some harm.

Your question finally prompted me to do some research and I couldn't find anything bad about it. As a matter of fact fruit is recommended for people with diabetes. Is it possible to eat too much fruit? That's the question I was interested in finding an answer to. And I found that there were a couple of studies indicating that even 20 servings per day had no adverse effects.

The highest my blood glucose level ever was was 100. So I increased my exercise a bit and on my next blood test it was down to 86.

Note: I use nothing but fresh fruit. No canned fruit and no dried fruit. The reason I'm able to have some blueberries every morning is because I by them frozen (organic).

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-25-2018 at 02:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
babygirl127 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:07 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

My husband is prediabetic and his doctor tells him fruit is fine as long as it is low glycemic and fresh- not canned. Frozen is also okay.

Bananas and watermelon are some of the only fruits which are not low glycemic and should not be eaten every day, although my H has at least 3 a week.

The type of sugar in fruit is natural, not added and not synthetic. It breaks down differently than candy or cake does because of the natural sugar...it does not affect the body negatively for the most part so therefore, you can eat allot of it. Talk to your doctor or look for a good book/ diet which includes which fruits are better than others to eat. The key to eating natural sugars (fruits) is to balance it with the carbs we eat as it takes carbohydrates to break down the sugars in our system.

Too much of anything can be dangerous (even fruit) if you are not eating a balanced diet. You need to balance the fruit you eat with the rest of your meal. Your doctor is your best source of info for your particular case. Good luck!

Last edited by MSNik; 07-26-2018 at 04:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
babygirl127 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
mia1990
Inactive
(female)

mia1990 HB User

Do not eat fruit for the evening. I think it's better if you can eat them until noon. Mix fruits in yogurt, muesli. Do a shake, smoothie, reduce their amount, and certainly everything will be back to normal. I recommend avocado, rhubarb and blueberries. These fruits are very healthy and contain little fructose

Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

More research yields more info on how to slow glucose absorption. (I already knew about fiber and food combining but I double checked so as to be better able to explain it.)

* Sugar absorption from fruit is slowed down because fruit contains fiber and phytonutrients like polyphenols.

*Absorption can be slowed down further by eating oatmeal in the same meal.
......(that's what I do for breakfast)

*Absorption can also be slowed down by adding fat to the meal, such as chopped nuts or olive oil. (I add chopped nuts to my oatmeal in the morning.)

This morning I also added a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to my big bowl of fruit. It tasted a little different but I still enjoyed it. At first it might seem strange that I did this but it's not so strange considering that olive oil is made from fruit.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-26-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
babygirl127
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

Thanks to all who replied.Very helpful. I do eat a healthy balanced diet. Yes Oatmeal with fruit in it. The only way I can eat it. I am also biking or walking now as long as its not too hot out. I will alter my diet to just fruit 2 times daily. I even restricted my banana intake. So instead of one every day just 3 times a week. Anyone hear that cinnamon was good too to lower your sugar??

Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl127 View Post
Anyone hear that cinnamon was good too to lower your sugar??
Yes, I did hear that, I give a light sprinkle of cinnamon over the fruit every morning. Glad you brought it up, I didn't think to mention it. However, now I'm questioning whether or not I need it. I just found information that it's recommended for type 2 diabetes, which I don't have. And the theory is that it may work by increasing insulin. This particular source says more research is needed and that gives me second thoughts about using it. My worry was that too much fruit might spike my blood sugar and my insulin, so why would I want to use cinnamon if it's going to increase insulin?

By the way, I stopped using pineapple because I think it's too sweet. Anyway, I'm cutting back a bit on the fruit; I like fruit so much that I have to restrain myself.

From my research I have learned that the healthiest fruit is non-sweet, or the least sweet fruit. That's why I never buy navel oranges.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
babygirl127 (08-01-2018)
Reply Reply