It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Question about the oils and fats ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
    mehappy2
    (female)

mehappy2 HB User
    Question about the oils and fats ...

So I am a now a cardiovascular patient. Calcium and plaque, etc.

I am reading about the oils. Say for example Olive oil and Canola oil. I am supposed to switch to these types of oils for certain uses.

My question is this....

Are these heart healthy oils still bad, but just much less bad than say Trans Fat. Or, are they actually good, as in they will clean out your arteries?

In one case, i will also somewhat avoid the olive oil, in the other case I will take shots of it at the bar. Just kidding, but you know what I mean i hope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Question about the oils and fats...

These fats are better for you because they are monosaturated fats as opposed to saturated fats. Monosaturated fats can reduce fat in the arteries and reduce cholesterol; so yes, they are good for you. Will they cure you? No, but they will certainly not make your situation any worse!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Question about the oils and fats ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mehappy2 View Post
    So I am a now a cardiovascular patient. Calcium and plaque, etc.

I am reading about the oils. Say for example Olive oil and Canola oil. I am supposed to switch to these types of oils for certain uses.
    So you mean you would be using both depending on the situation? If you want to know which one is better, I think olive oil has an edge over Canola. Canola requires a lot of processing like solvent extraction and contains less nutrients - it's a vegetable oil. Olive oil is made from the fruit of the olive tree and has a lot of important nutrients. It's part of the Mediterranean diet, if that means anything.

Quote:
    My question is this....

Are these heart healthy oils still bad, but just much less bad than say Trans Fat. Or, are they actually good, as in they will clean out your arteries?
    Olive oil helps reduce cholesterol. It contains polyphenols and that means it has an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect so it helps to keep LDL from becoming oxidized.

What I look for when buying olive oil: I buy olive oil that is organic, extra virgin, first cold pressed and unfiltered. After doing some shopping around, I found it at a reasonable price.

There are doctors who say that all oils are bad but I don't recall them saying exactly why. Perhaps it's because they consider eating nuts to be a better alternative. I think nuts are a better way to get fats in our diet. I stopped using olive oil for about a year but now I am back to using it, although, I use it very sparingly. With a measuring spoon I add one teaspoon to my food in each meal, and I still eat plenty of nuts.

Note: I'm not worried about heart disease, I just enjoy practicing healthy habits so as to be proactive. It's easier to prevent disease than to cure it.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Different oils have different smoke temps and therefore there are recs on which to use for what purpose. Olive oil has a very low smoke temp so is more often used for drizzling and dressings. You can do a search and find many articles about this so you know which ones to use for what.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mehappy2 View Post

........ are they actually good, as in they will clean out your arteries?
    It's not likely that one thing alone will clean out your arteries. It usually depends on the following 3 areas working together: Diet, exercise, and stress control, with the main emphasis on eating a healthy diet.

The main difference is that some doctors recommend forgoing animal protein while at least one that I know of allows small portions of lean meat. But they all work provided a person will stick to the diet. The biggest reason they don't work long term is for the same reason that most weight loss diets don't work long term.

What all these diets usually have in common is that they call for avoiding processed foods in favor of natural whole foods - mostly a wide variety of healthy plant foods like fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, whole (intact) grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.

If you will do some research, I'm sure you will eventually find some detailed diet plans on how to reverse coronary artery disease.

If you have any other questions about it, just ask.

Reply Reply