It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• diet help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
    Charlie18
    (male)

Charlie18 HB User
    diet help

I'm a 32 year old male.. weigh in at 285... my goal is to get down to 220. I have been on a diet for the past week and have lost 6 lbs only.. My typical day is: vegetables from veggie tray for breakfast, walk with dog for a couple km. then home and work out on bike for hour+ burning and average of 600 calories.
    For lunch usually rotisserie chicken and small salad, and usually take out dog and usually something small for supper like another salad or maybe some fruits/veggie. I feel like this isn't the most productive diet, or im missing something. Every day I weigh myself at the same time, and today I was up 2.5 pounds from yesterday, very disheartening to see after the effort and the restraint I've been putting in this. any input or suggestions would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: diet help

You said you have rotisserie chicken and a small salad for lunch. Do you eat the whole chicken? Rotisserie chicken is not fat free and not healthy if it means you're eating just a small salad. It should be the other way around: Eat four ounces of chicken and a huge salad. I use a large serving bowl when I make a salad, the kind of salad bowl that is put in the center of the table to serve a family of four. I would include a wide variety of colorful vegetables and go easy on the dressing.

Also, never eat the chicken first. I assume the salad is what you like the least so you should always eat it first while you are still hungry.

Eating extra animal protein (over 4 ounces) will not build more muscle. Your body can only use so much protein so the extra amount may end up being stored as fat.

Another problem with eating too much animal protein is that you almost certainly will not have enough fiber in your diet from healthy sources like vegetables, whole grains and legumes. You need at least 25 grams of fiber per day from natural whole foods, not supplements. Not having a regular bowel movement in the morning could be the reason your weight was up 2.5 pounds. But fiber is not just important for having regular bowel movements. Fiber helps to make you feel full, stabilize blood glucose, and regulate your immune system.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Charlie!

I can tell you what worked great for me, but it is a very difficult diet. It's small meals, frequent eating. I did about 6-7 small meals per day averaging less than 1500 balanced calories total for the entire day.

I started it in 2005 and am still on the diet. It has done great things for my health and has contributed to a significant improvement in my heart failure and overall health.

I didn't do it to lose weight, even though, back in 2004-2005 I was about 50 pounds overweight. I did it because my health was deteriorating and my blood pressure was soaring. Well... to my surprise, I lost 50 pounds, from 180 to 130, in a relatively short time.

If you are interested, I posted a thread back in 2004 named: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?
    at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Regards, and best of luck, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Charlie, remember that the first few weeks of dieting, you are usually losing water weight, which weights allot...also, as they tell you to drink MORE water the first few weeks of dieting, water weight can affect the scale too.

Its a catch 22. Once your body gets used to the extra water you should be drinking, your scale will stop being affected....but keep in mind that you will see the scale go all over the place in the first month of dieting.

Dont go by the scale. The best way to really see if you are losing weight is to measure yourself. INCHES count! If you can get down a pants size in the waist over the first 8 weeks, you are doing terrific!

Good luck!

Reply Reply