It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Living in Cuba (as a Vegetarian)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
    ChenghaiTreat
    (male)

ChenghaiTreat HB User
    Question Living in Cuba (as a Vegetarian)

Hi! This is my first post. I'll be honest, I don't know anything about this site, but the circumstances (and my general lack of understanding regarding my own health) has led here. As any one in the Star Wars universe would say, if you applied the inverse function to it: "I have a good feeling about this". I at least hope to be able to incite a good conversation today, and also increase my knowledge. Thank you for the welcoming hands into the forum.

I am a student of film making who attends school at, you guessed it, Cuba. I don't live there at the moment, but in seven weeks from now I'll be going back to spend the next 10-12 months of my life until I finally finish my education. I'm a vegetarian, I've been so for a few years now; however, everything in my nutrition has been trial and error, it never passed through my head to visit a nutritionist.

Due to the pandemic I was able to return back home and reflect on some of my past experiences on School, and the living standards as well. Although there are a variety of foods in Cuba, it is not like your average local supermarket; there is not an immense abundance of fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. (unlike Puerto Rico and the US), and the availability of some of the other delicious foods depends largely in seasons. The school does a good job of providing the vegetarians with the required foods, but only every other day. Best case scenarios look a bit like this: A small piece of bread, a boiled egg, mayonnaise and a glass of milk for breakfast; white rice, beans soup, canned mushrooms with slices of cucumber, and maybe some carrots and lettuce, and guava juice for lunch; and for dinner, white rice, lentils, a cucumber filled with smaller slices of cucumber (I'm not joking), and a cake.

The type of diet provided by the school is always dependent on the overall situation of the island, and as such is always changing. This post is not intended as a critique on the school nor on the health issues facing Cuba, they are doing the best they can, and I am grateful for that. Besides that, there is always other foods that provide enough to support ones diet, and are available all year long, such a yucca, plantains, sweet potato, milk, beans. So really my purpose with this post is to ask your advice regarding the topic of supplements, vitamin pills, super-foods that I may take with me to, as the Beatles put it rightly: "hold me tight".

Also if you have any insights, resources that might enlighten and strengthen my decisions, and my preparation, I'd be grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    supplements, travel, vegetarian