It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• A Guide to Healthy Eating

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User
    A Guide to Healthy Eating

All over the internet I see blogs and articles saying "Just eat healthy!" without really explaining beyond the idea of a balanced meal. There is so much more to eating healthy than just having enough greens, enough grains and enough colour on your plate. Since I eat very healthily, I thought I would weigh in with my diet and the things I eat to stay healthy.

When I say "just eat healthy!" it means eating organic and non-GMO. If you want to see studies and reasons that eating organic is the best for health, you can check out GMO Free USA, they are a nonprofit and have done studies on pesticide use (and pesticide residue in popular food chains) and it concluded that people with chronic health conditions had higher levels of toxic pesticides in their bodies than those without, as well as it increasing the risk of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. There are lists online as well about produce that should always be bought organic, and others that don't necessarily need to be because of a protective skin, or less pesticide use in general. (The Dirty Dozen and The Clean Fifteen)

Eating healthy also means using the best quality ingredients, and while for produce(and grains) that means organic, for more processed things like oils, it also means buying cold-pressed and avoiding seed oils. Seed oil introduction in the market suspiciously aligns with the first ever recorded heart attack, as well as the sudden rise in heart disease. The best bet is to buy Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, or even Organic Cold-Pressed Avocado Oil.

Choosing "Healthy" options like whole grain bread, or oats only works if you are buying organic, because those are the most highly sprayed items with pesticides and despite having more nutrients, you are also consuming significantly more toxins.

Buying things fresh, or in jars is ideal vs things that are canned is also much better, as canned items are lined with BPA (even if they say they aren't, it's BPA under the nonBPA layer) and that causes problems with estrogen and other hormonal things, and since they are heated to be sealed, the BPA leaches into the foods and then it's in there for good.

While not feasible for everyone, avoiding cane sugar and replacing it with maple syrup is a healthy alternative and an anti-inflammatory option. It also has vitamins that cane sugar does not, and you need much less to get the same level of sweetness.

I don't limit myself with my foods, if I'm hungry I eat, and I feel better than I ever have by making all these changes to my diet. Unfortunately healthy eating goes so much further beyond just getting the right nutrients, it's also about avoiding the harsh toxic chemicals they put on the food and actively choosing to buy better quality and nontoxic ingredients. So while some nutritionists say "A fresh nonorganic strawberry is better than a candy bar!" Sure, but strawberry farmers are also known to use their own strawberries as pesticides for a new crop, with how much it absorbs the toxic chemicals and can still work at killing and repelling bugs. So while you get the nutrients of the strawberry, you get all the horrible pesticides with it too.

(I am not a nutritionist, I am just a person who feels so much better and has relatives with arthritis who have seen incredible improvements in their conditions after eating like this)

Last edited by WomanOnTheWeb; 09-08-2022 at 08:31 PM. Reason: clarity about GMO Free USA and GMOs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #2
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User
    Re: A Guide to Healthy Eating

Over the years, I have been eating healthy on and off, but for the most part - due to my medication - I have not been eating the best way. I would like to eat more fruits and vegetables, but the medication I am on has partially paralyzed my pharynx, making it impossible to eat foods like raw celery or rhubarb. It has pretty much "programmed" me to eat a mediocre diet. This partial paralysis of my pharynx might go away eventually, as it is a side-effect; and I have heard that side-effects can eventually go away. It just takes a long time, which I am not thrilled about.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

I remember when I was striving to eat healthier, I would choose foods that were preferably organic, like nuts. Trader Joe's has the best quality and best priced nuts. I just wish other organic foods were not more expensive. And sometimes foods that are labeled organic could be falsely labeled that way. But I just figure, as far as price, if I buy organic I am also giving back financially.

I agree pesticides are poison. However, there are natural pesticides like raspberry. And I suppose if we were living in ideal conditions, there would be no artificial synthetic pesticides.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

Well organic foods do use pesticides and pest control but they are natural, like neem oil or other things people have been using for thousands of years, like using ladybugs for aphid infestations I believe, as well as netting to stop moths from laying eggs. I really hate that we live in a world where we have to pay more to buy a vegetable that isn't sprayed with neurotoxic chemicals. Especially to avoid the most offensive of pesticides: Glyphosate, which is the chemical ingredient in Round Up, that is owned by a company who actively paid for studies to say that their pesticide didn't cause cancer. That's suspicious.

I don't know if you have noticed any differences after stopping eating organic, but personally within several hours of eating regular nonorganic whole wheat flour and sugar I develop nerve pain flares and the next day I have ulcers in my mouth. I initially thought it was just a placebo that I was feeling better about buying organic and that it was healthier but not in a visible way, but now after having that happen every single time I've accidentally eaten nonorganic, I can say for certain. And that is terrifying to me, that I put my body through all those chemicals for decades, when now even a slight exposure can cause me so much pain.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

You're right about the natural pesticides.

I remember back when I was eating much healthier than I have been recently, I became more sensitive to unhealthy things, like salt. It actually would cause me to relapse back into my mental illness. IMO, getting sodium and chloride separately from dietary sources is healthy, while consuming salt is not. When I would eat unhealthy things, I also experienced health repercussions, such as my teeth feeling "wobblier", as in periodontitis. I believe that this "wobbliness" was merely a foreshowing to me that if I continued eating unhealthily, eventually it would catch up with me and I would develop clinical periodontitis when I am chronologically older.

I think right now my main problem is eating junk food. And snacking in the middle of the night because I cannot sleep. My sleep pattern is not healthy right now.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of mental illness does it cause for you? Because I have found that strictly following the diet above, while also avoiding using nonstick cookware (which I forgot to mention), heating/storing things in plastic, using plastic cooking utensils and eating takeout off of plastic containers, and removing something I never even thought would affect my health, like the unnatural products I put on my body, I was truly and 100% able to eliminate my mental illness and it has changed and saved my life in ways that would be too long to list. And it has changed my perspective on mental illness entirely, from previously thinking it was a life sentence, to realizing it is in fact (maybe just for me, but maybe for others as well) just a byproduct of putting horrible chemicals on and into my body.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

The mental illness I spoke of is Schizophrenia. I remember when I was striving to eat healthier, I did not use plastic eating ware either; nor did I ever use a microwave. I found that changing my way of eating, and what I ate, was the single most important factor in improving my health.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

When I stopped using toothpaste, and switched to just water and swapped out lotion for olive oil and literally stopped using any and all modern chemicals and products on my body it took 4 days before I went through what I can only describe as a brain purge, and then I woke up the next day with ZERO schizophrenia, insomnia, fibromyalgia, anxiety, like you name it, it was gone. And then two weeks after I removed everything I went through a full body purge where my thyroid triggered aches and pains and every physical hormone went into overdrive (like insulin, adrenaline, Melanocyte-stimulating hormone etc) and then all my other physical problems went away, like my feet hurting after walking only 1km, and so many things that I've forgotten about because it's been four months. So i don't know if that is something you also do, or are interested in, but at this point I don't believe that schizophrenia is a health condition so much as a reaction to the chemicals in our environment, and all the studies scientists have done on it that they deem "inconclusive", all lines up to this and make perfect sense. Like how those who live in the city have it worse than those in the country, because city living exposes you to more gasoline fumes.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

I had a similar experience. I remember having much more energy and discipline. My outlook on life was much more positive, as well. I attribute every benefit I enjoyed to my vegan nutritarian alkaline lifestyle. I chose organic foods when they were available. My thinking was also much clearer. The longer I stayed on this lifestyle, the more my health improved. Unfortunately, I was on this lifestyle for only sixteen months. And there was a short period, during this time, when I incorporated meat in my diet; and then resumed my 100% vegan nutritarian alkaline lifestyle. I'm really not sure if I would call it a "lifestyle", because I thought lifestyles were permanent. So maybe it was really a diet, as it lasted only sixteen months.

I do use toothpaste regularly, as well as shampoo and soap.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

Lifestyles can be short term changes that you follow during that time, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a diet. However I would highly suggest that you try out eliminating toothpaste and swapping shampoo and whatever soap you use for a lye based soap like Dr Bronners or something else like that, just to see if it makes a difference. I found that it was also necessary to swap to entirely natural deodorant. Every little thing that goes on the skin, no matter how insignificant, it will be absorbed, bringing any toxic ingredients into the blood stream with it. I'm not sure if you use wall air fresheners or anything like that, but those put chemicals into the air as well. Something I really like about this change is that it ends up being much more affordable, because you aren't buying shampoo or fancy hair products, or different lotions, it's straightforward, it's simple and it's minimal.

Something they don't mention about toothpaste is that it was only really invented about a hundred years ago by companies (unaffiliated with dentists) who just wanted to sell stuff to people under a claim of oral hygiene. If you brush the recommended time of two minutes or whatever it is, that is two minutes of chemicals sitting in the most absorbable mucus membrane in your body. They have drugs that you put under the tongue for two minutes to get it into your bloodstream fast, yet why do we not question the safety of the chemicals in toothpaste and how quick they'll get into our body?

Old 09-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

For a little while I was using Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Bar Soap; I was also using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo and Conditioner for a little while. I remember noticing what a difference it made. I felt better overall, my thinking was better, etc. But it did not make as big a difference as eating better did.

I agree that toothpaste is not truly necessary as long as one is eating well. I have yet to experiment with different ways of eating healthy/partial fasting. I want to figure out how to reverse my tooth decay and remineralize my dental caries. There are also foods that naturally whiten teeth, like strawberries, cauliflower, almonds, etc.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #12
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

Are you not still using those soaps? Because for me consistency is key and if I even screw up with one thing, it reverses the progress, like exposure to a fog machine, while seeming innocent, literally set me back weeks.

That's very interesting that the food made such a difference for you. I swapped everything in my diet over a year ago to eating healthy and while I felt better physically, I only had my mental illness go away after removing all the topical toxins.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #13
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

I cannot really pinpoint what exactly did what; I'm sure I knew at the time, but right now not so much. I am not using the Trader Joe's soap, shampoo and conditioner anymore. I stopped using those products years ago. I have been using conventional toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, and soap.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User

For my mental health issues, I just take medications for them. They do give me side-effects, but provide treatment for my issues.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
    WomanOnTheWeb
    (female)

WomanOnTheWeb HB User

I wonder if removing the conventional hygiene products completely would eliminate more than you expect. I haven't ever been on medications besides some for depression years ago, but as far as I can tell all of them are unfortunately formulated with those same toxic chemicals I have removed.

Reply Reply