It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Atkins Lies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #31
    junkbondtrader
    Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User
    Re: Atkins Lies

Quote:
    This criticism of the Atkins plan is so unbelievable it's incredible it still shows up. I guess common wisdom is something like common sense . . . not so common after all. The "common wisdom" where I come from is that you regain weight when you go off any weight reduction regime, not just Atkins.
    Chill out, I agree with you. I never said it wasn't the case for other diets, I just said that if you don't stick to it, and go back to your previous eating habits, you'll gain it back. Many people don't find Atkins to be something they can stick with long term.

Quote:
    Could you site credible sources for these "logical problems" with the plan, please? It is an interesting assertion, though, since the usual criticism is that there are no studies of the long-term effects of Atkins.
    Sure.
    Barnard, Neal M.D. Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life. Random House. New York: 1993

Ford, Norman F. 18 Natural Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol in 30 Days. Keats. Hartford: 1992

Lyman, Howard F. Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher who wonít Eat Meat. Scribner. New York: 1998.

Ornish, Dean M.D. Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease: The Only System Scientifically Proven to Reverse Heart Disease Without Drugs or Surgery. AND Eat More, Weigh Less : Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly.

Also, the findings of the Framingham Study, as I mentioned in my original post.

You are absolutely right that there aren't any decent long term studies of the Atkins diet, and I'm not pretending that there are. However, there is credible research on the long term effects of a plant based diet, and on the health benefits of omitting meat and opting for a moderate protein, moderate complex carb, high fiber, low fat plan that comes with it. (See books mentioned above and others). All I was saying is that if we know reducing our intake of animal protein and increasing our fiber intake has been shown to have x, y, and z positive effects (i.e. much lower incidence of heart disease, several types of cancer, etc) as compared to more traditional diets which center around animal protein as I discussed earlier, doesn't it seem obvious that continuing to eat high fat high protein diets will continue to offer the higher risk for these ailments which has been well documented in studies for years?

Last edited by junkbondtrader; 01-02-2004 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #32
    Chum
    (male)

Chum HB User

I has nothing to do with calories.

Another Atkins lie, and the reason people, mostly women's weight loss stalls after the water weight is lost. Even the Drs. Eades admit calories do count, and advise small frame men and women to watch the calorie dense foods such as cheese.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #33
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chum

Another Atkins lie, and the reason people, mostly women's weight loss stalls after the water weight is lost. Even the Drs. Eades admit calories do count, and advise small frame men and women to watch the calorie dense foods such as cheese.
    Again.... Read the book, read the book, *READ* *THE* *BOOK*!!!!!! You can't call it an "Atkins Lie" if it isn't even a fact. Nowhere in the book will you read that calories "don't count." Rather, the diet is a ketogenic diet, and that is the focus, rather than a calorie-counting diet. Nowhere in the Atkins book does it say you can eat like a pig day in and day out. It's just that calories and calorie reduction are not the cornerstone of the plan. Why continue to insist that the plan is a bad plan when you haven't even read the book cover to cover? I keep reading all this misinformation, such as you can eat unlimited calories, you will eat fat and no carbs for the rest of your life, on and on... nowhere in the book are these things claimed. Read the book first, then argue.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #34
    rmainor

rmainor HB User

Quote:

What I meant by that statement was, You don't need to watch your calories and then make sure you burn that amount or more off. I know mostly men who were large who have been following the atkins diet who have lost between 20 and 60 lbs. I myself have lost 10 lbs during the first 14 days eating the same things everyday, steak, eggs, cream cheese, salads, celery,coffee, water and protein shakes. And i'm eating more calories than before. Calories do count, but if your watching yor carb intake, for me most of the food I eat is not high in calories anyway. And this is after the induction phrase.

Last edited by rmainor; 01-02-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #35
    junkbondtrader
    Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

protein has 4 calories per gram
    carbohydrate has 4
    fats have 9
    alcohol 7

in case anyone cares

Old 01-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #36
    DoOoOoM
    Veteran
    (male)

DoOoOoM HB User

I hate to say it but the Atkins diet is for the lazy dieter. Carbs can be your best friends if you let them be. Carbs=energy=exercise=fat loss.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:29 AM   #37
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User
    Wink Re: Atkins Lies

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr_DoOoOoM
    I hate to say it but the Atkins diet is for the lazy dieter. Carbs can be your best friends if you let them be. Carbs=energy=exercise=fat loss.

Well, this "Lazy Dieter" is thoroughly enjoying the benefits of the Atkins plan. Everyone's an expert, aren't they Dr. DoOoOoM? I may be "lazy," but I'm skinny, with low blood pressure, and I feel great.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #38
    beebop_71

beebop_71 HB User

[QUOTE=DonutsNCoffee]Since so many people here believe in Atkins, I thought I'd dispel some of the hype and point out the misleading statements that are often said about Atkins.

<<3) Atkins doesnít raise your cholesterol.

In some of the studies, people didn't follow the Atkins Diet exactly and they didn't enter ketosis. And in some of the studies, drugs were used to lower cholesterol. And in some other studies, people actually showed an increase in cholesterol. And some people lower their cholesterol just by losing weight regardless of how they lost it. So you can't be sure Atkins didn't raise their cholesterol since it was also being lowered when they lost weight. The bottom line is we still don't know for sure that Atkins doesn't raise cholesterol.>>

My husband was not on meds and his cholesterol lowered 20 points. My mom did low fat for several years and could not lose weight, was increasing her meds. Whether the LC actually lowered her cholesterol or if it was the weight loss was irrelevant to her. She could not lose on low fat.

<<5) Calories donít count on Atkins.

Anybody who thinks you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight is kidding themselves. One reason why Atkins followers don't have to pay attention to calories is because the diet is high in fat which makes their appetite go down because they feel fuller sooner. That makes it more likely they won't overeat. So they end up taking in less calories than they need. They may not be counting them, but calories still do matter.>>

I can eat 1800 cal a day on low carb and lose weight, but gain on 1800 eating 'normal'.

<<7) Atkins causes faster and greater fat loss than conventional diets.

Low carbing definitely causes greater weight loss, but this is mostly due to a drop in water weight and glycogen.>>

That makes me laugh. My hubby did not lose 40 lbs of water. I'm sure those who have lost even greater amounts would be surprised that it was all water, too

<<8) Carbs make you fat.

What makes you fat is eating too many calories. What's also true is that not all carbs are the same. There are good carbs and bad carbs. The bad carbs are the refined ones. The good carbs are the natural carbs.>>

Hmm. Potatoes and oatmeal put 10 lbs on me. So much for low-fat/low cal.

<<9) Ketosis makes you feel better and doesnít affect your performance.

Carbs are the bodyís preferred and most efficient fuel source for strength training and physical activity. Many low carbers think fat is a better energy source than carbohydrates, but this is not true. Fat isn't more efficient. It's just more concentrated. Muscular contraction is powered by carbs (glycogen). This is why a high fat, low carb diet is bad if you plan on doing any serious physical activity. What's also true is people on low carb diets often feel moody and tired.>>

After the several weeks of a low carb diet, after the withdrawals, very few people have the mood swings and fatigue-if it is done correctly. Low carbing DOES help with depression.

<<10) Very low carb diets are the secret to fat loss.

If permanent fat loss were as simple as removing carbohydrates from your diet, then why has obesity surged to an all-new high in 2003 and why are there so many Atkins failures?>>

My guess is that most people still follow low-fat/low-cal plans. As far as Atkins failures? The same question could be asked about ALL diets.

It floors me that low carb is constantly under attack. People need to do a little more research on their own and find out the truth behind the low fat craze and the holy food pyramid. you don't even hear this much about all the diet pills, etc.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #39
    beebop_71

beebop_71 HB User

Quote:
    Excellent post! About time someone exposes the high fat frauds like Atkins.
    ROTFL And low-fat isn't a fraud? Based on one lone flawed study?

Old 01-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #40
    beebop_71

beebop_71 HB User

This post was designed to clear up some of the confusion about Atkins. I'm sick of coming to this board and seeing so many people mislead. They hear all the good things about Atkins, but none of the bad. What I find offensive is people who promote an unhealthy way of eating and refuse to address its shortcomings.[/QUOTE]

So what way of eating do you promote, if not low carb. Good dietary fats are essential and if you believe those are harmful, *you* are the one promoting an unhealthy way of eating. Same if you are promoting low-fat.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #41
    junkbondtrader
    Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

try asking a cardiologist how they feel about the atkins diet for patients who are not severely overweight. then come back and tell us how great it is.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #42
    beebop_71

beebop_71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkbondtrader
    try asking a cardiologist how they feel about the atkins diet for patients who are not severely overweight. then come back and tell us how great it is.
    As I do not need a cardiologist, I will have to rely on my own dr. However, on a low carb forum I frequent, there are *several* posters who are on Atkins at the recommendation of their cardiologists, so not *all* cardiologists are against it.

*edited to ask- are you referring to my post about the good fats? If so, you need to read up.

Last edited by beebop_71; 01-03-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #43
    junkbondtrader
    Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

patients who are severely overweight do well on atkins because they can lose weight quickly, and weight loss will cause reduction in cholesterol level. this effect on cholesterol obviously is more powerfull than the effect of dietary consumption of cholesterol, since their levels drop. so it makes sense that cardiologists would recommend it for such patients. But for those who want to drop 10 or 20 pounds or maintain their weight, cardiologists seem to agree that atkins isn't a great plan in terms of heart health.

and no, i wasn't referring to your post about good fats, it was just a general comment not directed to/at anyone in particular.

and i definitely wouln't advocate a no fat diet, don't get me wrong. i do know about "good fats" and essential fatty acids, and get enough of them (from things like flax oil, soy products, walnuts, etc) on a plan which is low in overall fat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beebop_71
    As I do not need a cardiologist, I will have to rely on my own dr. However, on a low carb forum I frequent, there are *several* posters who are on Atkins at the recommendation of their cardiologists, so not *all* cardiologists are against it.

*edited to ask- are you referring to my post about the good fats? If so, you need to read up.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 PM   #44
    zebra1

zebra1 HB User

To all who have ,"encouraged," everyone else to ,"Read The Book!!,", I suggest they read this entire thread to start with,just for starters, and then pick-up other books (that's right, books without the Atkins logo on it),like some of the ones suggested by Junkbondtrader(excellent choices) and begin there.It appears to me that alot of Atkins followers on this thread, seem to only care about the end result ,not how they arrived there.... and ya,I mean you too ,"I'm skinny now so nah,nah,na,na,nah." In case you weren't aware ,it's really NOT about being skinny but about being healthy.....Hey Junkbondtrader and Donutsncoffe ,who cares whether people want to eat madcow BSE,fed with other dead animals meat... products....they are obviously well informed on their own dietary needs,with the help of Dr.Atkins,of course.YAh ya,ya,to all you people that retort,"but you just HAVE to read the book,then you'll get it," ,I HAVE read the book and as interesting as it was.....I will continue with what I always do ....READ MORE BOOKS.NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #45
    firemansgirl

firemansgirl HB User

Hey! Here's a thought...why not let people choose for themsleves what is good for them. If someone is loosing the low carb way, the low fat way, or what ever else works for the individuals. God bless em! Live and let live!

Closed Thread