It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• is the atkins diet safe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #16
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: is the atkins diet safe

Tjennings,

For what its worth, Dr. Atkins died in a hospital, under the care of several ER doctors, not his own physician and certainly not his PR dept. His cause of death was, they clearly reported, a head injury from his slip on the ice and his fall. Ask yor own doc what it would take to get an entire ER team to fake a death certificate.

And, the heart incident of the prior year was INFECTIOUS myopathy--a common-enough condition, always serious, caused by an infection and it just about always clears up after the infection is resolved. As happened in Atkins' case. In almost every such case, there is no prior, and no later, cardiac condition. As was also the case in the Atkins instance. He did not have heart disease either before nor after that incident.

What are these "articles" you've read? You mean internet gossip? I am always amazed at folks who think that an item repeated frequently on unsubstantiated web postings must therefore be true.

And Cricket,

If the atkins approach does not work for you, you are wise to seek elsewhwere. Even the studies that show it works better than low-fat diets and so on are measuring averages, after all. Some folks do better, some worse. I guess you'd be one of those for whom this approach just doesn't work.

So be it.

sean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #17
    Tlarnla
    Inactive

Tlarnla HB User
    Off topic, but I find Cricketchicket's problem interesting.

Cricketchicket,

I can see why you tried Atkins. You're one type of person I might have recommended it to. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Can you eat rice?

If you can't eat any grains and want to follow a balanced diet, you could consider the potato group for your carbs. Modern people usually think of potatoes as vegetables (which they are), but their traditional function in the diet was usually as a carb source. Many cultures around the world (from Northern Europe to Africa) used to rely on them for their carbs rather than grains.

There's plenty of vitamins and minerals in potatoes too, including a uniquely stable form of Vitamin C. This makes them healthier than the refined "white" grains that most people use for carbs.

The potato group offers plenty of variety too. You might get plenty of fun and variety using them as your carb source too. There should be a wide variety of yams and potatoes available at your local supermarket, and even more if you explore ethnic groceries. It could be fun hunting down new types of tubers to play with, and reading up on what special nutrional values certain yams offer. Plus the centuries have provided a wide variety of different recipes available for preparing them, so you could experiment with different recipes. You could have plenty of fun and variety using them as your carb source.

Last edited by Tlarnla; 01-17-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #18
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean
    Tjennings,

For what its worth, Dr. Atkins died in a hospital, under the care of several ER doctors, not his own physician and certainly not his PR dept. His cause of death was, they clearly reported, a head injury from his slip on the ice and his fall. Ask yor own doc what it would take to get an entire ER team to fake a death certificate.

And, the heart incident of the prior year was INFECTIOUS myopathy--a common-enough condition, always serious, caused by an infection and it just about always clears up after the infection is resolved. As happened in Atkins' case. In almost every such case, there is no prior, and no later, cardiac condition. As was also the case in the Atkins instance. He did not have heart disease either before nor after that incident.

What are these "articles" you've read? You mean internet gossip? I am always amazed at folks who think that an item repeated frequently on unsubstantiated web postings must therefore be true.

And Cricket,

If the atkins approach does not work for you, you are wise to seek elsewhwere. Even the studies that show it works better than low-fat diets and so on are measuring averages, after all. Some folks do better, some worse. I guess you'd be one of those for whom this approach just doesn't work.

So be it.

sean

Since it caused excessively high cholesterol in me, one who always had very low I don't go for the diet of the month club. My cholesterol is back to normal and I maintain the same weight for the last 10 yrs at 115 by portion control. No going back for seconds, eating small amounts of most things except sweets. What Mr A died from was a blood clot to the brain from the fall on the ice, can happen to any healthy or unhealthy person. What Mr A had going for him was his gene pool. Majority of his family lived to be ancient. Look at Jim Fix, ate healthy ran daily lived very well but he died young and to boot outlived most of everyone in his family. My side of the family, all lived to be in the 90's and one who is 99 next month, smoke, drink, eat meat every meal, wouldn't know a healthy food if it landed on their face but still going. My hubbys side, he has outlived all the males (he is 58) all are vegetarians from way back when it wasn't even "cool" so bottom line and it is stated as such in any research, the gene pool counts for more than what you do or don't do, I've got living relatives to prove it and my hubby has dead ones to prove his. Another good thing Mr A had going for him is he knew how to market a product to the masses. A great salesman that made mega bucks off us diet groupies. We always need to belong to some social club and he banked on it. Why do we look to others to solve what we are too lazy to do for ourselves? My grandmother always said the best diet was the "push yourself away from the table diet" and I find that works just fine, and no side effects. I'm not trying to be synical but gee he was only a man not a god. Why do all these hollywood types come up with "the diet that works" it makes them more money! Seriously doubt they are interested in us other than our pocket books. Socrates had a healthy diet to, it's nothing new, nothing new under the sun for sure.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #19
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: Off topic, but I find Cricketchicket's problem interesting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tlarnla
    Cricketchicket,

I can see why you tried Atkins. You're one type of person I might have recommended it to. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Can you eat rice?

If you can't eat any grains and want to follow a balanced diet, you could consider the potato group for your carbs. Modern people usually think of potatoes as vegetables (which they are), but their traditional function in the diet was usually as a carb source. Many cultures around the world (from Northern Europe to Africa) used to rely on them for their carbs rather than grains.

There's plenty of vitamins and minerals in potatoes too, including a uniquely stable form of Vitamin C. This makes them healthier than the refined "white" grains that most people use for carbs.

The potato group offers plenty of variety too. You might get plenty of fun and variety using them as your carb source too. There should be a wide variety of yams and potatoes available at your local supermarket, and even more if you explore ethnic groceries. It could be fun hunting down new types of tubers to play with, and reading up on what special nutrional values certain yams offer. Plus the centuries have provided a wide variety of different recipes available for preparing them, so you could experiment with different recipes. You could have plenty of fun and variety using them as your carb source.

Just be sure you eat potatoes with the skins on--the skin and the growing layer immediately under it are where all the nutrition is,vitamins, minerals, and fiber. MAshed and french fries or any potato dish prepared from peeled potatoes is almost all simple starch.

better yet, eat the skins only!

good luck

sean

Old 01-19-2004, 06:59 PM   #20
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Re: Off topic, but I find Cricketchicket's problem interesting.

I agree with the statement that some things (i.e. diets, lifestyles) do not work for everybody. I think that all people respond differently to foods and you cannot just go by word of mouth or the latest trend.

An interesting point to share: I recently met another person who has the same condition as I do (Celiac Disease...inability to digest the gluten (which is a protein, BTW)), and we got to talking about our lack of being able to eat interesting food *lol*. In any case, she also mentioned that she had tried Atkins and became VERY sick on it. Although our predictions may not have been correct, we narrowed it down to the fact that since our bodies cannot digest this specific type of protein (gluten), that perhaps it could be that our bodies just do not digest protein in general. I know for a fact that I do much better on a vegetarian (or at least low meat) diet.

I have actually come to learn about that "Eat Right for your Blood Type" lifestyle, and I think that it may have some merit to it. It more or less states that people metabolize food differently, based on their blood type. Does anyone else know much about this? My blood type is AB and it mentions that AB blood types thrive on a mostly vegetarian diet.

Anyway, I'm all for seeing what works for you. What works for some may not work for others.

And thanks everyone, for your input!

Last edited by cricketchicket; 01-19-2004 at 07:01 PM.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #21
    cloverberry

cloverberry HB User

The problem with Atkins is you don't get enough calcium. And you better plan to stay on it the rest of your life, no cheating. You lose weight fast but you'll gain it back fast if you go off it and you're likely to gain more weight back than you started with.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #22
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloverberry
    The problem with Atkins is you don't get enough calcium. And you better plan to stay on it the rest of your life, no cheating. You lose weight fast but you'll gain it back fast if you go off it and you're likely to gain more weight back than you started with.
    I suppose these may be "famous last words" when I balloon up in two years (just kidding), but I respectfully disagree. The point of doing the program is to change your lifetime eating habits to decrease, not eliminate, carb intake. You pretty much "cleanse" your body of carbs, then gradually add them back to a more acceptable level for your body. It depends what you mean by "go off it." If you mean go back to your bad habits you had before you dieted, then yes, this would be true, just as it would be of any diet. Also, you can get plenty of calcium on the Atkins plan, by consuming cheeses, spinach, broccoli, and other dark green veggies. You can also do supplements, which many of us do whether were on Atkins or not if we aren't milk drinkers.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #23
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Korn
    is it?
    does it work?
    what else should I do along with that?
    Atkins works every time on every person if followed correctly. Do exactly as he says. Excercise, and you are GUARENTEED to lose weight.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nenofury
    Atkins works every time on every person if followed correctly. Do exactly as he says. Excercise, and you are GUARENTEED to lose weight.
    Beg to differ on that, even Aitkins himself said this diet is not for everyone, he understood some people metabolism can not handle such a stringent diet. I just don't believe any diet will work on everyone, that is a blanket statement. No real evidence to back it up. there are some people who do have cholesterol problems that need to watch their "fat" intake and aitkins is not the way for them. If anyone has a good balanced diet program it would be Dr Phil, it is all about balance and moderation, no extremes. I work in the medical field and see some very thin people on the aitkins diet with cholesterol in the 600 range and that is getting ridiculous, also see some people on the diet who are thin and have good cholesterol and they seem to handle it. Even people who follow it faithfully(99.9% of people on ANY diet fudge it now and then)have a difficult time with it. I'm not on any diet, I eat in moderation and portion control without the excess carbs, proteins etc.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #25
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    Beg to differ on that, even Aitkins himself said this diet is not for everyone, he understood some people metabolism can not handle such a stringent diet. I just don't believe any diet will work on everyone, that is a blanket statement. No real evidence to back it up. there are some people who do have cholesterol problems that need to watch their "fat" intake and aitkins is not the way for them. If anyone has a good balanced diet program it would be Dr Phil, it is all about balance and moderation, no extremes. I work in the medical field and see some very thin people on the aitkins diet with cholesterol in the 600 range and that is getting ridiculous, also see some people on the diet who are thin and have good cholesterol and they seem to handle it. Even people who follow it faithfully(99.9% of people on ANY diet fudge it now and then)have a difficult time with it. I'm not on any diet, I eat in moderation and portion control without the excess carbs, proteins etc.

I was only referring to weight loss. Ketogenesis is possible is all humans, but should only be used to reach goal weight.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #26
    OHGal1415
    Inactive

OHGal1415 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    Since it caused excessively high cholesterol in me, one who always had very low I don't go for the diet of the month club. My cholesterol is back to normal and I maintain the same weight for the last 10 yrs at 115 by portion control.
    Hi, NancyH!

Doing my own research. here.

Just out of curiousity, what were your numbers before, and what were they during Atkins? I mean total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides?

Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #27
    Nash-t
    Inactive

Nash-t HB User

It's true the Atkins diet works pretty well after you have tried most diets.... get on the up and down yoyo cycle of dieting and you have tried the whole nine yards..Atkins is a good and safe way to lose weight pretty fast...I've done Atkins before, but what concerns me is having to stay on the Atkins D the rest of my life finding lo carb foods to maintain your weight! only 20 Grams daily A DAY NOW THATS VERY HARD TO DO you can get 20 grams of carbs in one meal very eazy /not eatting carbs will let you lose weight sure!! it work for me/taking the supplements/ that you got to take to stay healthy.

Dr Atkins has taken a lot of critisium from a lot of other Dr's but plum up to his death he mantain his diet system works if followed correctly! but may not be feasible for everyone! sure eatting non carbs foods is hard and it gets old ...but it works! when 99% of the other diets failed... bringing on the yoyo effect.

TO a person thats been obease most of there life and want to lose ...just losing couple pounds for them is like a GREAT WONDERFUL THING...IT MAKES THEM PROUD ABOUT THEM SELFS and they should be And Mr Atkins has proved that on his plan you feel so much better and you can cope better with the everyday stress in life...when you get to your weight goal and can maintain it with Dr Atkins dieting and look and feel wonderful and get good check-up at the Dr's office hey what do you got to lose.........but weight!!!!

I think of this "there are people who smoke 2- 3 packs of ciggs a day/and theres people that don't smoke at all.....I have known people who smoke 2 -3 packs a day and lived until they got old and grey not never sick...and I have known people who don't smoke at all and die from cancer lung or other kinds of cancer in there early life Teens 20's to 40's....now don't get me wrong we all know smoking is not good for your health but try to tell a smoker that....it's all about choice.

My point is this if you want to try the Atkins diet try it and if you don't don't ... it's all up to each his own.....This Atkins diet is starting to make me think it's like hey come to my church....it's the right one!!! everyone that goes to church on a regular bases thinks theres is the right church just because there pastor said so and they attend/ who has the right to say the Atkins diet is no good and is not the right way to go just because some one said so? well thats what makes living in Amercia so wonderful our freedom of choice....if that makes any sense at all...lol

Remember reading post some times might give the reader a different point -of -view from the poster??.......I certainly don't intened to harm or cause anyone any discomfort/or be offensive to anyone.

To me there just going to have to prove Dr Atkins wrong ? until then people should not put his system down period!!!
    Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by Nash-t; 01-26-2004 at 02:14 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:18 AM   #28
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User

Quote: "I've done Atkins before, but what concerns me is having to stay on the Atkins D the rest of my life finding lo carb foods to maintain your weight! only 20 Grams daily A DAY NOW THATS VERY HARD TO DO you can get 20 grams of carbs in one meal very eazy /not eatting carbs will let you lose weight sure!!"

--Just so you know, the *only* time you should be consuming 20 grams of carbs or less in one day is the two week induction phase. If you are trying to limit it to 20 grams for the rest of your life, you aren't following the program.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #29
    Nash-t
    Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wearesiamese
    Quote: "I've done Atkins before, but what concerns me is having to stay on the Atkins D the rest of my life finding lo carb foods to maintain your weight! only 20 Grams daily A DAY NOW THATS VERY HARD TO DO you can get 20 grams of carbs in one meal very eazy /not eatting carbs will let you lose weight sure!!"

--Just so you know, the *only* time you should be consuming 20 grams of carbs or less in one day is the two week induction phase. If you are trying to limit it to 20 grams for the rest of your life, you aren't following the program.
    Humm? I was understanding that if you consume more than 20 g a day your weight loss would gain?...doing the 20g a day I guess depends on the grams your consuming like the fat ones? fiber ones? - 5 on some of the fiber grams? but your saying after you get to your weight goal then you can have more grams? that don't make a bit of sense to me...sorry! I been out of the induction for over 7 months now but acutally stop loseing? staying the same/and I did the off again and on agian?

I have stayed the same(weight) for the last two months eatting just 20 g a day? ( been esp good over the holidays)
    I must not be doing something wrong obviously!!? I thought I was following the program? I like a about 50 lbs to reach my goal.

I have not been in ketosas's either humm the last month or so!

I'm one of these kinds of people if it's not going to work it won't work on me...the storey of my life....lol

Last edited by Nash-t; 01-26-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #30
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User
    Smile Re: is the atkins diet safe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nash-t
    Humm? I was understanding that if you consume more than 20 g a day your weight loss would gain?...doing the 20g a day I guess depends on the grams your consuming like the fat ones? fiber ones? - 5 on some of the fiber grams? but your saying after you get to your weight goal then you can have more grams? that don't make a bit od sense to me...sorry! I been out in the induction for over 7 months now but acutally stop loseing? staying the same/and I did the off again and on agian?

I have stayed the same(weight) for the last two months eatting just 20 g a day?
    I must not be doing something right? I thought I was following the program? I like a about 50 lbs to reach my goal.

Just a question... do you have the book? In my opinion, it's important to read and understand the book so you stay healthy. The "20 grams or less" is for induction only. It could be the reason you aren't losing is that you've been doing the induction phase too long and your body is stubbornly holding on as a result. There are many factors which may be contributing to your plateau... that's why it's important to have the book, as it explores some of those reasons. It also has a chapter telling you how to jumpstart things if your metabolism isn't budging.

Closed Thread