It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• is the atkins diet safe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #31
    Nash-t
    Inactive

Nash-t HB User
    Re: is the atkins diet safe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wearesiamese
    Just a question... do you have the book? In my opinion, it's important to read and understand the book so you stay healthy. The "20 grams or less" is for induction only. It could be the reason you aren't losing is that you've been doing the induction phase too long and your body is stubbornly holding on as a result. There are many factors which may be contributing to your plateau... that's why it's important to have the book, as it explores some of those reasons. It also has a chapter telling you how to jumpstart things if your metabolism isn't budging.
    Do you mean the book Dr.Atkins' NEW Diet Revolution?...I have not read that one but I do have it....just got it...I was looking in chapter 20 page 259 I need to read up on that... and then I'll read the whole book...I know this will work I just need to find out what I'm doing wrong!
    Thanks for your advise and concern!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #32
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User
    Cool Re: is the atkins diet safe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nash-t
    Do you mean the book Dr.Atkins' NEW Diet Revolution?...I have not read that one but I do have it....just got it...I was looking in chapter 20 page 259 I need to read up on that... and then I'll read the whole book...I know this will work I just need to find out what I'm doing wrong!
    Thanks for your advise and concern!

You'll do great... IF you read the book. Don't skip around-- read it and study it so you understand the scientific concept behind how it works. Then, I'm sure, you will be successful.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #33
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OHGal1415
    Hi, NancyH!

Doing my own research. here.

Just out of curiousity, what were your numbers before, and what were they during Atkins? I mean total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides?
    Before any diet I had to look that up, total cholesterol was 213: LDL 124, HDL 62, Trigly 138. During my short term on Aitkins 6 months down the road my total was 242, LDL 165, HDL 66, trigly 45. My last blood workup it was 210, LDL 130, HDL 69, Trigl 39. There is more to it than that. If you have other medical conditions that warrant watching the fat intake this isn't the diet for you. May be ok for some people and there is no long term studies on this yet. The trick of any diet is keeping the weight off, any of them you'll lose weight as most of that is water first. I don't condemn it just not for me and the people who really are addicted to it seem to be in a fog about some of the possible long term effects it can and is showing to have on the gall bladder and kidneys

Old 01-27-2004, 06:26 AM   #34
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    . . . the people who really are addicted to it seem to be in a fog about some of the possible long term effects it can and is showing to have on the gall bladder and kidneys
    I have heard of fat causing problems for many after their gall bladder is removed (though presumably the quality of fat ought to help that), but has anything even semi-documented been put out about kidney problems (I mean besides the theoretical speculation that so many use to attack the plan)?

I usually keep a pretty good eye on such things but haven't seen anything.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #35
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntjudyg
    I have heard of fat causing problems for many after their gall bladder is removed (though presumably the quality of fat ought to help that), but has anything even semi-documented been put out about kidney problems (I mean besides the theoretical speculation that so many use to attack the plan)?

I usually keep a pretty good eye on such things but haven't seen anything.

Thanks!
    Yes from the nurses on the surgical ward they are finding high protein diets are very hard on the kidneys, fatty gall bladders and this has always been known even before aitkins, just they are seeing more of it in the last 5 yrs. They are doing their own research and find out what if any diet people are on and for how long. You know Aitkins himself said in his book that people are going to try to sway you away from this diet and tell you it can be harmful, well that kind of sounds like a religious cult leader to me. If he was so sure it is great, then he would more than welcome any scrutiny from the medical field especially endocrinologist. I always feel if there is smoke there is fire, the diet isn't for all people. Nope, no hard factual data on aitkins as yet but that is why the hospitals are taking surveys for reporting. Explain this, if 7 out of 10 Drs say aitkins can be a harmful diet in the long run, what have they to gain having people eat a balanced diet and stay off the fad diets? It is only reasonable that dieting never works in the long term only short term, eating a balanced diet and excersising can be a lifestyle that goes a long way. Once a person is off the diet the weight creeps back on and that is documented with all diets, aitkins south beach whatever, learning to eat balanced meals, portion control is an easy lifestyle change that can be a lifetime. Something we should have learned or we wouldn't be in this situation.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #36
    wearesiamese

wearesiamese HB User

Quote: "Explain this, if 7 out of 10 Drs say aitkins can be a harmful diet in the long run, what have they to gain having people eat a balanced diet and stay off the fad diets?'

Nancy, I don't really disagree with much of anything you said in your post, except the above, and here's why. Medical professionals are always learning and revamping what the old "rules" were. Just think how different the information we have now is from the information we had from, say, 100 years ago. For example, up until very recently, many if not most doctors supported eating a "low fat" diet. Now they are learning that, actually, you need certain fats, and that certain fats even support and promote weight loss and cardiac health. This flies in the face of what they were saying just a mere 5 years ago.
    I would agree that most fad diets are bad news. The Atkins diet can be bad news too, for people that don't understand the whole scope of it. An example would be someone who does the induction phase indefinitely. If the Atkins plan is followed the way it was designed, it isn't actually a fad diet, but simply a reduced carbohydrate eating style.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:21 PM   #37
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

Is it safe? Doubtful. Does it work? Yes, just like other low cal diets, you can lose weight on it. Still, you're better off keeping the carbs in your diet but reducing the refined ones and saturated fats.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #38
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    . . . just they are seeing more of it in the last 5 yrs. . . .
    They are seeing more of what exactly?

Hopefully, others will start collecting such data so we can see whether there is a larger trend. Personally, I find such antidotal studies very valuable. But, of course, one must be careful what and how information is collected and processed. Human nature does leave most of us with a tendency to see what we want to see.

Considering all the dire predictions about liver and kidney problems one would allegedly suffer on Atkins, it is surprising nothing more concrete has ever come out, that I know of anyway. Sure, I’m being rather snide here, but, seriously, there has never even been a warning about people who were not aware they had liver/kidney problems having them crop up while on Atkins, and to beware of particular symptoms.

Pinning gall bladder problems on “high protein diets” is questionable to me on a couple of fronts. I have never heard of “high protein” as a risk factor, though I don’t know that much about gall bladder problems. The primary risk group was traditionally summed up as “fair, fat and forty”, so I think it is a reasonable guess that most people following Atkins have(had) at least one of those. The other place I have heard about gall bladders acting up is in people who have lost a significant chunk of weight (by any method); which leaves me wondering why your nurses attribute the problems to “high protein” rather than the other factors that have been well known before Atkins.

Characterizing Atkins as “high protein” has also always puzzled me. What do you mean by “high” protein; how many grams per day? When the matter comes up on Atkins and other low-carb forums, with people posting menus or whatever, I rarely see anyone gorging on protein (a range of 70 to 90 grams per day is quite typical) . . . except maybe in the very beginning when they are getting adjusted. When eating sufficient fat, most people simply do not have the capacity to eat tremendous excess protein from the whole food sources Atkins recommends.

The one group I have seen eating what I would consider excess protein are those working out and “bulking up”. On fitness boards, I have often seen a formula used to calculate needed protein that gives a figure WAY over 100 grams per day for many. And they are not recommending getting it from whole food sources, but from soy and whey powders. Do you nurses notice many people following this sort of regime showing up with kidney and gall bladder problems?

In any event, Atkins does say that the plan ought not to be followed by people with liver and kidney problems but that people with healthy liver and kidney ought to be able to handle it.

Quote:
    You know Aitkins himself said in his book that people are going to try to sway you away from this diet and tell you it can be harmful, well that kind of sounds like a religious cult leader to me. If he was so sure it is great, then he would more than welcome any scrutiny from the medical field especially endocrinologist.
    Some of Atkins’ ideas do go counter to “conventional” (depending on the convention de jure) thinking on diet and nutrition. Yes, he spells that out and explains why he believes his thinking is correct. Is this what you think makes him like a cult leader? I don’t get the analogy.

I saw a couple of interviews with Atkins where he said he would welcome independent study of his plan – one when the plan was first published and again in more recent years.

Quote:
    . . . the diet isn't for all people.
    He says so himself.

Quote:
    Explain this, if 7 out of 10 Drs say aitkins can be a harmful diet in the long run, what have they to gain having people eat a balanced diet and stay off the fad diets?
    Where do you get the figure about 7 out of 10 doctors? A minute ago you were saying there was no hard factual data on Atkins, so, if this were so, how could doctors know it was harmful? Whose version of a balanced diet? Who’s definition of “fad diet”?

Quote:
    It is only reasonable that dieting never works in the long term only short term, eating a balanced diet and excersising can be a lifestyle that goes a long way. Once a person is off the diet the weight creeps back on and that is documented with all diets, aitkins south beach whatever, . . .
    The word “diet” gets misused so much in English, so literally “dieting” is the ONLY thing that can work in the long term (or not work as the case may be). Atkins and other low carb plans are meant to be lifetime, lifestyle changes.

Quote:
    . . . learning to eat balanced meals, portion control is an easy lifestyle change that can be a lifetime. Something we should have learned or we wouldn't be in this situation.
    The portion control business works very well for some. Atkins and other low carbers offer a different framework that works for others. I think we wouldn’t be in this situation if there were recognition that different plans work for different people.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #39
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

People who are bulking are often taking a few or even several thousand calories per day, making protein as a percentage less significant than it would be for those who are dieting. Protein powder isn't necessarily required to get such amounts of protein either, and the average bodybuilder's shopping list would indicate this. It can be done with food (clean food such as tuna and chicken at that). I agree with the basic premise that Atkins isn't a high protein diet, though, as it is in reality a high fat diet.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #40
    Ash16

Ash16 HB User

The Atkins diet is HIGHLY recommended my ALOT of doctors for obese people. Actually, it is highly recommended for really anyone who needs to lose weight. I know that my pediatrition has sugested it to me many times altho i am only 10 lbs. overweight. Over half of my whole family (including aunts, uncles, etc.) are on Atkins and none of them have any problems. Actually... they are ALOT healthier. I also have a friend who has been on Atkins for the last 3 years and it's the best thing she has ever done. She looks amazing... she feels great... energy for days... it's just great! She used to be so depressed... and she has been so great since Atkins. She follows it religiously. Believe me... its plenty worth it. BUT... I am not ready to commit myself to Atkins... I am currently on a low-med. fat diet. I have lost 3 lbs this week alone... I weigh now 122 lbs at 5'3" and i am going for 110 lbs. again! Wish me luck all! But... like i said... Atkins is a good choice for some1 who really does need to lose weight.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #41
    karen430
    (female)

karen430 HB User

I have been watching this thread since it started and have now decided to share. I have done the Atkins on and off for about 2 years now, and I love it! I admit that it is difficult to stick with; I especially was bad at first because I was looking to lose weight really fast, so I barely ate anything. That was a really bad time, but I lost the weight and kept it off. I am now back on it just because I was sick of being tired all the time because I am young (college student) and I wanted to feel better about myself. I have been back on the diet for about 3 weeks now and I can't tell you how great I feel! I sleep wonderful at night and I am never tired in the morning. I'm not even really on it to lose weight, I'm following it to feel better about myself and recapture my energy. I think that anyone that doubts the diet doesn't really know that much about it and isn't willing to look past the fact that you can eat meat, eggs, and cheese. I actually have a big salad everyday, and a huge omelette for breakfast in the mornings. I still think that people should follow and believe in whatever works for them, and the Atkins works for me!

Old 01-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #42
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shane S
    People who are bulking are often taking a few or even several thousand calories per day, making protein as a percentage less significant than it would be for those who are dieting. Protein powder isn't necessarily required to get such amounts of protein either, and the average bodybuilder's shopping list would indicate this. It can be done with food (clean food such as tuna and chicken at that). I agree with the basic premise that Atkins isn't a high protein diet, though, as it is in reality a high fat diet.
    Fair enough . . . Probably was not a good idea to post when I am just about completely ignorant on the subject. Except the formula I often see used (I forget how many gms of protein/kg) gives a pretty high number, and on fitness boards I regularly see people talking about eating 150 . . . 160 . . . 180 grams per day (but have no idea how typical that is in reality) . . . while there is all this criticism of Atkins allegedly being high protein! (Yes, I agree, it is high fat/low carb.) And I don't know how these nurses doing their study (or whoever) would be looking at absolute numbers versus percentage of calories - though when you consider the level of fat many low-carbers are eating, the percentage from protein may be similar. And of course the other major factor I completely neglected is level of exercise, which I would venture to guess is very different overall.

I didn't mean to sound like the powders are mandatory . . . but the question "which one is the best?" does get posted frequently (again I have no idea the reality, except that they do get a fair amount of shelf space at the GNCs and similar stories in my area). [But I can't pretend that I think it is better to get nutrients from real food as much as possible, but to each their own.]

Old 01-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #43
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

Bodybuilders usually say 1-2 grams per pound of bodyweight, but some people invent their own theories and do funky math with them. At some point, it's possible to go overboard, though it's debateable at which point exactly that is.

I agree that is a common question, and it's probably one of the more common supplements out there. It's real useful, particularly for cutting.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #44
    Shari123

Shari123 HB User

I did the Atkins diet back in 1996 and lost a lot of weight then gained it back. People have to realize in doing this diet, it's a LIFESTYLE change, and you not only have to watch your intake of sugars and processed foods, but you need to incorporate exercise into the diet too. If you research the diet, you'll find it is safe, and it does lower your cholesterol when doing it RIGHT!

I am back on it, and steadily losing the weight again! It's not just about bacon and fatty foods, it's learning how what you put in your body affects your body. I recommend it to everyone, but always use the test strips to make sure you're burning fat! I will stay on it forever, especially since there are so many low-carb products to make it easier than last time I did it!

Good luck on any weight reduction program you choose, no diet is right for everyone. And to the person who commented Dr. Atkins died at a young age, it was because the poor guy slipped on the ice and cracked his head open and died from an "accident".

Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #45
    Nash-t
    Inactive

Nash-t HB User

Well hi everyone!!
    People can state there own opinion bout Dr Atkins and his (well known diet program) everyone is entitled to there own opnion! If you follow his program by the book (his book) with regular yearly check-ups from your Dr, or a Dr! then you will lose weight feel better than you ever felt before and your life will change for the better (health wise ) anywayz!

I am on the Atkins Diet it's the only program that has work for me and I love it...I will be forever greatful to Dr Atkins for showing me the way to live a better and heathly life,

Its the bitter people out there in this world that just can't seem to cope with themselfs until thay have put down Dr Atkins and his program(stating the bad effects) all untrue by the way!!! To me they are just jelous because they was not smart enough to put a program togather like he did...for the better of all mankind.

I recommend the "Atkins Diet" to anyone that wants to lose weight and feel better about themselfs....it will change your outlook on life for the better and a better way of life and don't let anyone ever tell you any different.

It would be a good Ideal to seek your Dr's advise about any type of diet rather his opinion meets Dr Atkins or not.
    Thats your choice!

Closed Thread