HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   My injuries won't heal anymore (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/155371-my-injuries-wont-heal-anymore.html)

5150 03-07-2004 07:09 AM

My injuries won't heal anymore

Hello. I am a long-distance runner and I found that since turning 25 (I'm now 30) when I ever I get an injury it just does not heal anymore. It may heal up for a while but then it reoccurs again and again. I need to go to the doctor but I'm trying to avoid it. These events coincide with the fact that I became a vegetarian around the same time. I believe I still eat enough protein (cheese, eggs) but I'll admit my vegetable intake has actually dropped substantially since becoming vegetarian. I'm just wondering if anyone knows about vitamin/mineral deficiency that relates to my problem? Or anything else?

:wave: Thank-you

csoar2004 03-07-2004 04:54 PM

Re: My injuries won't heal anymore

[QUOTE=5150]Hello. I am a long-distance runner and I found that since turning 25 (I'm now 30) when I ever I get an injury it just does not heal anymore. It may heal up for a while but then it reoccurs again and again. I need to go to the doctor but I'm trying to avoid it. These events coincide with the fact that I became a vegetarian around the same time. I believe I still eat enough protein (cheese, eggs) but I'll admit my vegetable intake has actually dropped substantially since becoming vegetarian. I'm just wondering if anyone knows about vitamin/mineral deficiency that relates to my problem? Or anything else?

:wave: Thank-you[/QUOTE] Diabetics don't heal well...are you thirsty all the time, too?

auntjudyg 03-07-2004 05:41 PM

Are you talking about cuts or muscular strain?

plymouth 03-07-2004 05:49 PM

Vegetarians may develop a B vitamin deficiency but it may simply be a loss of flexibility. A Myofascial Release form of massage therapy and Aaron Mattes' stretching program may be just the fix for you.

5150 03-07-2004 07:25 PM

Hi. Thanks for the comments. Yes, I should clarify this is a muscle pull-like feeling in my calf and maybe a tendon or ligament injury on the back of my leg, behind the knee.

Diabetes is a good thought. I don't think I'm any thirstier than I was before though.

I'll look into your advice on the massage therapy though. Thanks. :wave:

Magpiezoe 03-08-2004 12:22 PM

Hello, Is it an injury that won't heal or a re-occuring injury? There's a difference. You may not be doing the proper stretching before you run, not enough warm-ups before you run, or you may be running in the wrong type of shoes/sneakers. Another thing to contribute to getting hurt while running can be the type of surface you are running on. I read once that running is the exercise with the most injuries.

5150 03-09-2004 09:11 PM

Yeah, I know what you saying. My injuries are reoccuring, but they only seem to heal to 80%. I don't think its the shoes. Streching...well, I'm not saying stretching isn't good, but there have been years where I never stretched and was never injured and other times when I stretched diligently and was frequently injured. I do stretch these days but I'm not really convinced that it actually helps. You're right about running being hard on the body though. I just started swimming to compensate and it is sooo much harder but at least there is no impact. Thanks for the advice. :wave:

[QUOTE=Magpiezoe]Hello, Is it an injury that won't heal or a re-occuring injury? There's a difference. You may not be doing the proper stretching before you run, not enough warm-ups before you run, or you may be running in the wrong type of shoes/sneakers. Another thing to contribute to getting hurt while running can be the type of surface you are running on. I read once that running is the exercise with the most injuries.[/QUOTE]