It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• My injuries won't heal anymore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 AM   #1

5150 HB User
    My injuries won't heal anymore

Hello. I am a long-distance runner and I found that since turning 25 (I'm now 30) when I ever I get an injury it just does not heal anymore. It may heal up for a while but then it reoccurs again and again. I need to go to the doctor but I'm trying to avoid it. These events coincide with the fact that I became a vegetarian around the same time. I believe I still eat enough protein (cheese, eggs) but I'll admit my vegetable intake has actually dropped substantially since becoming vegetarian. I'm just wondering if anyone knows about vitamin/mineral deficiency that relates to my problem? Or anything else?

Thank-you

Last edited by 5150; 03-07-2004 at 07:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
    Re: My injuries won't heal anymore

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5150
    Hello. I am a long-distance runner and I found that since turning 25 (I'm now 30) when I ever I get an injury it just does not heal anymore. It may heal up for a while but then it reoccurs again and again. I need to go to the doctor but I'm trying to avoid it. These events coincide with the fact that I became a vegetarian around the same time. I believe I still eat enough protein (cheese, eggs) but I'll admit my vegetable intake has actually dropped substantially since becoming vegetarian. I'm just wondering if anyone knows about vitamin/mineral deficiency that relates to my problem? Or anything else?

Thank-you
    Diabetics don't heal well...are you thirsty all the time, too?

Last edited by csoar2004; 03-07-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Are you talking about cuts or muscular strain?

Old 03-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
    plymouth
    Veteran

plymouth HB User
    Thumbs up Re: My injuries won't heal anymore

Vegetarians may develop a B vitamin deficiency but it may simply be a loss of flexibility. A Myofascial Release form of massage therapy and Aaron Mattes' stretching program may be just the fix for you.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #5

5150 HB User

Hi. Thanks for the comments. Yes, I should clarify this is a muscle pull-like feeling in my calf and maybe a tendon or ligament injury on the back of my leg, behind the knee.

Diabetes is a good thought. I don't think I'm any thirstier than I was before though.

I'll look into your advice on the massage therapy though. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, Is it an injury that won't heal or a re-occuring injury? There's a difference. You may not be doing the proper stretching before you run, not enough warm-ups before you run, or you may be running in the wrong type of shoes/sneakers. Another thing to contribute to getting hurt while running can be the type of surface you are running on. I read once that running is the exercise with the most injuries.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #7

5150 HB User

Yeah, I know what you saying. My injuries are reoccuring, but they only seem to heal to 80%. I don't think its the shoes. Streching...well, I'm not saying stretching isn't good, but there have been years where I never stretched and was never injured and other times when I stretched diligently and was frequently injured. I do stretch these days but I'm not really convinced that it actually helps. You're right about running being hard on the body though. I just started swimming to compensate and it is sooo much harder but at least there is no impact. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
    Hello, Is it an injury that won't heal or a re-occuring injury? There's a difference. You may not be doing the proper stretching before you run, not enough warm-ups before you run, or you may be running in the wrong type of shoes/sneakers. Another thing to contribute to getting hurt while running can be the type of surface you are running on. I read once that running is the exercise with the most injuries.

Last edited by 5150; 03-09-2004 at 09:12 PM.

Closed Thread