It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Bottled Water?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
    jill30
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jill30 HB User
    Bottled Water?

I drink the 0.5L (1 Pt. 0.9FL OZ) of water 4 times a day. I do not understand if the amount in the bottle equals 1 glass of water per bottle. If that is the case than I need to be drinking 4 more bottles a day to add up to 8 glasses of water a day. Any advice would be helpfull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
    SparkleBuggy
    Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User
    Re: Bottled Water?

Actually, if you really want to know the truth, you need to drink more than that. Everyone should drink at least 8-10 glasses a day. However, it's best if you drink (half of your body weight and turn them into ounces). If you think about it, 8 glasses of water isn't enough, considering what time of year it is. If you are sweating, you are dehydrating yourself. Drinking anything other than water isn't going to hydrate you, so I would drink as much water as possible! As a side not, water flushes out fat!

Last edited by SparkleBuggy; 05-16-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Old 05-16-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

If you are drinking half litre bottles, that would be 500 mL.( the smaller bottles right?) 4x a day mean thats 2 L. On top of other fluids, thats more than enough. Also, many ppl confuse the 8-10 glasses /day- this is 8-10 glasses of LIQUID (including water, juice, milk,etc.). Thats about 2-2.5 L. Since thats about what youre having in water alone, youre absolutely fine with the amount you are having. BUT make sure you get enough salt in your diet. Salt retains water- without it, all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients will be flushed out of your body, and your electrolytes will be off (a big deal).

Old 05-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

And water doesnt "flush out fat" This is a common myth many believe. Think about it- if it were true, anyone could drink water and lose weight- doesnt happen. Water just fills you up, so you eat less, and therefore have less of a chance of gaining weight.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
    DancingDiva
    (female)

DancingDiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirl11
    And water doesnt "flush out fat" This is a common myth many believe. Think about it- if it were true, anyone could drink water and lose weight- doesnt happen. Water just fills you up, so you eat less, and therefore have less of a chance of gaining weight.
    no, water does help you flush out the fat, but it's not a miracle worker....when your body doean't have enough water (i.e. roughly 6-10 glasses a day) your body doesn't function correctly and it can't get all of the fat and other toxins out of your body properly...it helps to keep everything in balance and functioning properly...water also helps your metabolism...you will only lose weight by drinking water if you drink a lot of sodas and stuff and then stop drinking sodas all together and started drinking just water...cuz my friend did this and lost some weight...not a lot mind you, but like 5 pounds....

-DancingDiva

Old 05-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

The only reason most people lose weight when they start drinking water is because they probably substitute it for other drinks, like pop. This means that they are consuming less calories- this causes the weight loss..not the water itself. Also, like I mentioned, when people fill up on water, they are less likely to feel hungry and eat snacks- again leading them to consume less calories.
    I dont like water and therefore I dont drink it (I drink juice, milk, sports drinks, etc). My body is functioning properly. As long as people have 8-10 glasses of LIQUID per day, they do not need excess water. This is where most people are confused. By 8-10 glasses, it doesnt mean you need 8-10 glasses on top of what you normally drink in one day. But most people dont have 8-10 liquids/day, and therefore have to make it up in water.
    Remember- milk is 87% water. Juice is a similar amount. You dont have to drink gallons of water in order to be healthy-make sure you have 8-10 glasses of liquids per day.
    Your body also doesnt "flush" fat out of your system, water or not. You lose weight by taking in less energy then you expend. This is the only way. By drinking water, most people are cutting down on calories.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Water DOES flush out fat, but not as directly as one might think. Water helps the liver function correctly and metabolize blood glucose and fat properly.

The correct amount of water to drink is more than one might think. The formula is as follows: Take your body weight (in pounds) and divide by 2. That is how many ounces of water you should drink.

If you weigh 150 lbs you should drink 75 oz of water per day.
    If you weigh 200 lbs you should drink 100 oz of water per day.

Most people do not drink this much but it absolutely will help your body function more efficiently.

To imply that calorie reduction is the only benefit of water in a weight loss program is ridiculous! Of course it is partially true that people will consume fewer calories simply by increasing their consumption of water - that is clearly one of many benefits. In fact many people confuse hunger with thirst - believing they are hungry, they eat more food, when in fact the body is craving hydration. It would be more accurate to say that dehydration can cause weight gain due to an increased sensation of hunger than to say that overweight people lose weight because they replace sodapop with water (which is an overly simplistic and narrow perspective of the benefits of water in weight loss program.) Sure, water fills you up, but it also helps to support the vital organs, promotes healthy kidney and liver function, helps the body metabolize food more efficiently, and helps to flush out toxins.

I also disagree that any liquid consumption will suffice. Sure, any liquid is better than dehydration, but pure water is the without doubt, the best bet. In fact, pure fruit juice is one of the worst things for the body - it is very diffcult for the body to digest, is too concentrated in sugar, and does not contain the fiber benefits of whole fruit.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
    Mabulok
    (female)

Mabulok HB User

I've read that the amount of water one needs can quickly and effectively be determined by the color of the urine. If your urine is dark or bright yellow, you need more. When it is pale yellow to clear, you are taking in enough water. Unless of course you are taking vitamin supplements, then it will be fluorescent yellow due to the vitamins.

Closed Thread