It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Soda: how much is too much?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM   #16
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: Soda: how much is too much?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lady_grey
    I hear what you are saying about chemicals but the chemicals in soda are no different than the chemicals found in most foods.
    Very true! I avoid all chemical additives in foods and beverages. In fact the only thing I ever drink is pure filtered water. I don't consume preservatives, refined sugar or flour, artificial sweeteners or fermentable carbs. And its really not that hard to do! Anyone that is experiencing ill health or unexplaned symptoms will benefit from switching to this type of diet.

Going back to the eating vs drinking... If you have a cupcake and a glass of soda and both have the same amount of sugar and calories, the cupcake is probably a slightly better choice (because it will be digested more slowly and because it probably has a slight amount of protein and fat in addition to the carbs). But the differences are negligable - in this example, either is a bad choice so it hardly matters - you may as well eat what you like better.

But lets compare an apple to a glass of apple juice. They may have exactly the same amount of calories, sugar, and nutrients, but the apple is far better for you than the juice. The apple has its fiber left in tact and the juice has none. Also, because the juice is absorbed so quickly into the blood stream, it will cause dramatic spikes in blood glucose compared to eating the apple (where the fiber helps the body metabolize the fruit more slowly). And because the juice is absorbed so quickly the body cannot benefit from all of the nutrients - many are flushed right out of your system. With most natural foods, as in this example, the solid food is always better for you than the liquid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #17
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Soda: how much is too much?

I think soda is a terrible choce if one can afford a good year's Chateau Margeau...

Oh gosh, that's a couple hundred dollars...

I'll have a can of PepsiONE!

(But I'll buy a lottery ticket to afford the good stuff)

Closed Thread