It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Soda: how much is too much?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Soda: how much is too much?

I'm not a big soda drinker; if I'm lucky I'll drink 4 or 5 of those 8 oz. cans of Diet Pepsi in a month's time. I know soda is very very bad for a person, but I should ask: how much is too much soda?

Because I haven't had real soda in a long time, when I do drink some I practically choke on it; the carbonation burns my throat anymore which is why I tend to shy away and drink mainly water, as well as fruit juice and milk.

But I've heard that diet soda can cause things like Alzheimer's disease, cancers, and methane posnoning (or something like that... O.o) because of the artificial sweeteners contained in them.

Is it also true that flat soda is "better" for you?

Am I taking in too much soda?

Dark Stranger - is non-carbonated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
    Acid~rayne

Acid~rayne HB User
    Re: Soda: how much is too much?

If you're only drinking that much soda a month it's not too much at all.I drink prolly 3-5 cans of regular soda everyday and i know it's bad but i still drink it when it's in my house which is always.I have cystitis so it really putting a hurting on me,i tried drinking tea with sweet n' low one day and thought i was going to die it hurt so bad so i can't do artificial sweeteners.The thing about it causing aliments is just a myth,it wouldn't be on the market if it did.If you go to coca-cola.com they dispell all myths about soda and how the body handles it and all that.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
    I'm not a big soda drinker; if I'm lucky I'll drink 4 or 5 of those 8 oz. cans of Diet Pepsi in a month's time. I know soda is very very bad for a person, but I should ask: how much is too much soda?

Because I haven't had real soda in a long time, when I do drink some I practically choke on it; the carbonation burns my throat anymore which is why I tend to shy away and drink mainly water, as well as fruit juice and milk.

But I've heard that diet soda can cause things like Alzheimer's disease, cancers, and methane posnoning (or something like that... O.o) because of the artificial sweeteners contained in them.

Is it also true that flat soda is "better" for you?

Am I taking in too much soda?

Dark Stranger - is non-carbonated
    How much is too much? The amount that causes problems is too much if that is one can or a thousand.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:17 AM   #4
    Paracelsus

Paracelsus HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marimac
    How much is too much? The amount that causes problems is too much if that is one can or a thousand.
    I can be even more cryptic than that...

"All substances are poisons: there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy."

-Paracelsus (1493-1541)

Old 05-28-2004, 05:16 AM   #5
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

any much is too much...

Old 05-31-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
    Jogaholic
    (female)

Jogaholic HB User

I used to drink soda every day before I started running and learning more about nutrition. Soda is okay once in a while, but it takes about 32 ounces of water to flush its carbonation from your system (carbonation can have ill effects on exercise and take away your energy). The bad thing about soda is that it racks up the empty calories and has no benefits..I still have soda from time to time, but I make sure its diet so at least the empty calories aren't there. I don't think 4-5 a month is a horrible thing, just make sure you drink enough water and eat healthy enough otherwise to balance it out.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

I believe very strongly you should eat your calories, not drink them. Calories consumed as liquid are not processed efficiently by the body - this includes fruit and vegetable juices, sodapop, and all other beverages. Water is the best drink available and the only beverage anyone really needs. If you are looking for refreshment, try carbonated (sparkling) water.

Sodapop, specifically is bad for you, no doubt about it. If its regular sodapop, its loaded with sugar and chemical ingredients. If its diet sodapop, its loaded with even more chemical ingredients.

I used to drink sodapop and the moment I would take my first sip I would hiccup and belch at the same time. Eventually, I thought, why am I doing this to myself? My body is clearly telling me it doesn't like this substance.

Now, I drink nothing but pure filtered water - it is the only drink I have consumed in years.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
    lady_grey

lady_grey HB User

Soda is no different than any other food. If that is what you enjoy, then choose to have that over a cupcake. You can keep on drinking it --you are not having that much. Just make sure to have water as well. If you are worried about the calories, just have diet or the new c2 coke that is coming out that is half the calories and carbs.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lady_grey
    Soda is no different than any other food. If that is what you enjoy, then choose to have that over a cupcake. You can keep on drinking it --you are not having that much. Just make sure to have water as well. If you are worried about the calories, just have diet or the new c2 coke that is coming out that is half the calories and carbs.
    I really don't agree... If a person is choking on the carbonation when they drink soda, it doesn't matter if they like it - they should avoid it. I am a diabetic and I LOVE cheesecake, but I can't eat it... ever. If I do, I will get sick - it doesn't matter that I like it. I think in general people need to listen more closely to their bodies... if something makes you choke or it burns when you consume it, avoid it. If something gives you gas or heartburn, avoid it. If sugar makes you tired or makes your blood glucose go high, avoid it. Its really quite simple.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
    lady_grey

lady_grey HB User

I agree to a certain extent but sometimes I find that if I eat certain foods (like fruit) by themselves, I get heart burn but if I eat them with other foods, I am fine. Sometimes, foods affect you by how you eat them and then in your case, you should just avoid them. I would assume that instead of having an allergy, she just has heartburn type issues but it is always a good idea to go to a doctor and check. I was talking about still drinking it in terms of the comment about drinking vs. eating calories and saying that soda will not make you fat by itself--rather it is the combination of things and lack of exercise...does that make more sense?

Old 06-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

lady_grey, I understand what you are saying... if someone is going to consume high sugar foods anyway, then having an occassional soda probably won't hurt any more than eating a cupcake. But asside from the sugar, there are so many chemicals in sodapop... many people choke, belch, hiccup, and burn upon immediate exposure to a freshly poured glass or opened can of sodapop. This could be the carbonation alone, but the same reaction often does not occur with plain seltzer... makes you wonder what's in the sodapop that causes such a reaction. Also, carbonation is known to increase blood pressure.

About the drinking vs eating of calories... I stand by the fact that the body has more difficulty metabolizing liquid calories. The carbs/sugar is absorbed more quickly into the bloodstream causing unnecessary spikes in blood glucose. It is much more healthful to eat your calories and drink a glass of water for both snacks and meals.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM   #12
    lady_grey

lady_grey HB User

We have a good conversation going! I hear what you are saying about chemicals but the chemicals in soda are no different than the chemicals found in most foods. I know that some people get upset stomachs with splenda and stuff like that but seem to be fine if they eat it with other things or just switch to other foods without it. I think that my argument with drinking vs. eating calories has to do with wanting a soda over something to eat. Everyone has their craving foods and for her, it seems like it is soda so to me, it is ok for her to drink her calories that way.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 AM   #13
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Paracelsus...

Let me add one from History:
    Voltaire at age 80 was told that his drinking habit of 70 cups of coffee was POISON for him.
    His reply: "At least it's a SLOW poison!"

Old 06-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #14
    Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

Just a thought to ponder...
    Coke can be used to eat away at the rust in your sinks/tub....I can only imagine what it does once its in your body!!!! I never really drank alot of soda before ...but after reading that a few times in different places..I sTOPPED!!! Only purified water for me these days..

Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #15
    lady_grey

lady_grey HB User

Not true. Someone once sent me this site. It is so good! It goes over all of the true and false claims out there. Here is the one about coke. [url]http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp[/url]

Closed Thread