It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Need advice on triglyceride lowering/high fiber diet.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User
    Need advice on triglyceride lowering/high fiber diet.

I am a 49 year old, overweight female who had 3 polyps removed from my colon a few months ago. I was prescribed Aciphex for reflux and advised to go on a high fiber diet by that doctor. I will have another colonoscopy in a year to make sure the polyps have not returned due to high risk.

I just got a letter from my family doctor after a physical who advised a strict low cholesterol, low fat diet. My cholesterol numbers are: Triglycerides 344, HDL 42, LDL 93 for a total cholesterol of 204. I know I eat far too much refined sugar. I have been following a low fat diet for years. I eat only egg whites or eggbeaters, skinless chicken or turkey breasts, fish and an extra low fat ground beef that I only find at Super Wal-Mart that actually is a little less than 20 percent calories from fat using Susan Powters fat formula. I eat 100% whole wheat flour predominantly with the occasional subway sandwich. When I use oil , which I use VERY sparingly, I use olive oil.

On the high cholesterol forum I was given some wonderful advice about supplements and guided toward looking into the glycemic index for foods. That has lead me to this question here: With whole rye listed at 50, pumpernicket listed at 49 and whole wheat listed at 72 should I stop eating my whole wheat, which I really love?

I am pretty sure that my triglyceride level is due to the use of products that, while low in fat, were high in sugar. I think I will post this same thing over in the diabetic section since I believe that is who the glycemic index would most benefit and perhaps they will be able to offer me advice on how strictly they believe I should follow that plan. I am struggling to understand how to implement all this new info into my food plan. Any suggestions that anyone here or on the diabetic board that someone could offer me would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Last edited by KrFr; 06-10-2004 at 09:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: Need advice on triglyceride lowering/high fiber diet.

I replied over in Diabetes...

Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

And I do appreciate your reply. I am trying to give up refined sugar completely. It is difficult as I am sure you know. This morning I had a cup of Stoney Field low Fat vanilla yogurt with a slice of 100 percent whole wheat bread and a spoonful of SF strawberry preserves. I had already eaten half the yogurt when I realized it had 30 grams of sugar. I am sure not all of those were the natural sugar found in the milk but , you live and you learn. I will try to find a brand without sugar added that still has the probiotics I want. I have counted fat, I have counted calories but I have never really tried no sugar so this is a first for me.

Thanks, again for your reply in diabetes. It was very helpful to me.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Unfortunately, grains in general (but particularly wheat . . . and even whole wheat) cause many people various problems. I don't know about the triglycerides, but some claim carbohydrates in general, but particularly refined ones, contribute to that . . . as I think you know already as you are steering away from the sugar.

Stonyfield has a plain yogurt with no added sugar.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks, Auntjudyg. I will try to find the plain the next time I shop. I was shocked by how much sugar was in the vanilla but if it is something you haven't been watching before , things can come as a surprise.

Since I am suppose to be on high fiber I don't know if I should give up the whole wheat bread or not. I guess I would get enough from just fruit and veggies or I could take a fiber supplement but I am so tired of taking pills....

Thanks again for the info about Stonyfield. I really like their yogurt.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    Thanks, Auntjudyg. I will try to find the plain the next time I shop. I was shocked by how much sugar was in the vanilla but if it is something you haven't been watching before , things can come as a surprise.

Since I am suppose to be on high fiber I don't know if I should give up the whole wheat bread or not. I guess I would get enough from just fruit and veggies or I could take a fiber supplement but I am so tired of taking pills....

Thanks again for the info about Stonyfield. I really like their yogurt.
    I am diabetic and I meet with my dietician every 3 to 4 months. I have been on high fiber low fat diet since Nov. 03. I eat 100 percent wheat bread but I look for at least 3 grms of fiber. I may sure I get at least 5 servings of veggies and fruits. I hate most fruits so I don't eat too many of them, mostly veggies. I eat alot of steamed, baked or poached fish or chicken, no other meats. I do keep a journal of all my food intake. To answer your question, wheat bread is ok to eat if it is 100% wheat with at least 2 or 3 grams of fiber.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Karefree, I don't think whole wheat bread will be a problem for you unless you have a specific sensitivity to it. There are some really good whole grain breads that are low in carbs (about 9 grams per slice) compared to the typical 20 grams. But be sure to read the ingredients - you want to avoid breads that have corn syrup, dextrose, etc... Many will have honey and/or molassis but make sure those ingredients are very low on the list. Also, make sure the first ingredient on the list has the word "whole" in it... otherwise its not really whole grain.

There are plenty of other sources of fiber other than bread - soy is a fantastic source of fiber and protein... also oatmeal, beans, potatoes, apples, etc.

One of my favorite breakfast foods is Amy's Breakfast Burritos - they cook in 3 minutes in the microwave, and although they have 48 carb grams, they are completely organic and have 5 grams of fiber. Add a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and you have a VERY balanced breakfast - in this case 55% carbs, 27% protein, and 17% fat.

There are also some great soy snacks on the market that are quite tasty - Genisoy make soy crisps in a variety of flavors. One serving has only 100 calories, 14-17 carb grams and 2 grams of fiber.

Another great snack would be an apple with 1 or 2 oz of low fat cheese.

Regarding yogurt, plain yogurt is okay if you like it, but there are some lower-sugar alternatives. Although I personally do not like to use sugar substitutes, many people are okay with them - Breyers Lite yogurt sweetens with aspertame so the carb count is much lower - only about 22 carbs grams per container (compared to 45 carb grams in regular fruit flavored yogurt). Yes, there are still sugars, but much less than most.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

jtu91952, do you keep your food journal online in one of those sites where others can visit? I would love to get a look at what you are eating daily to get an idea of what it is. I do occasionally eat red meat but very rarely. I also eat fish and mainly chicken breasts. I do love fruit and veggies are no problem from me either. I am eating 100 % whole wheat by Sara Lee right now. I have never looked at the fiber or the sugar content either but will do so and try to keep the fiber at at least 3 grams.

jdmassimo, thank you so much for your advice again. I don't really have any problem with sugar substitutes. I know I probably should. May I ask? What do you usually drink? I am, after giving up Diet Vanilla Coke, addicted now to sugar free Arizona Peach and Lemon ice tea. I gave up the diet Coke because I think the fizzes aggravate my acid reflux.

I love soy products but one of my doctors advised against me eating it so, while I occasionally sneak in a Boca Burger, I try to not indulge in my soy protein shakes. I used to love them for breakfast. For some reason they had staying power for me. If I had one of those I was not hungry for hours! I have seen the Genisoy crips and resisted. How do you feel about Baked Lays? The baked ones, not the ones fried in the fake fat. I understand that a baked potato would be better, of course, and I do tend to overindulge in them....

As to the plan yogurt, I was thinking to perhaps add a spoonful of sugarfree fruit preserves and a packet of Splenda. I will look for the Breyers Lite that you mentioned. I am not a big milk drinker so I depend on the yogurt or what milk I get on cereal for my milk intake.

Your Amy's Burrito sounds great. For the last couple of days I either had 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with a smear of ff philly and a spoonful of sugarfree strawberry fruit preserves on top or 1 piece with a cup of yogurt. This morning I had 4 oz of no sugar added orange juice along with that because the diet plan that the doctor sent me advised that one of the daily fruits be citrus and my least favorite fruit is oranges. Beginning any new plan usually throws me off for quite a while as I try to understand exactly what it is I should be eating.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me out here. I really do appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Hi Karefree, Believe it or not, I drink NOTHING but pure filtered water. Its best for your body and it has helped me sooooooo much. I gave up sodapop and diet juice drinks (crystal lite, etc) years ago because I have problems with artificial sweeteners and I don't drink fruit juice because I am a diabetic. Drinking a high volume of water will help you metabolize fat more efficiently, so this would be beneficial to you and help you attain your goals.

Why did your doctor advise you against soy products? Some people have allergies, but if you don't you just need to be aware of the different types of soy and avoid the bad ones. Do a google search on "soy nutrition" - you will find lots of products, but if you look further you will also find explanations about the different types of soy and which ones to avoid. In summary, you would need to consume massive quantities of soy to have any type of problems with it... just like anything else.

Trash your chips, baked or fried, they are awful for you. There is NO nutritional value. Your snacks should contain protein AND fiber - ordinary chips have neither. The soy chips just happen to taste a lot like potato chips, but they are good for you because of their protein and fiber content. They will actually fill you up and sustain your energy level in between meals. Soy nuts will accomplish the same, as will an apple with some cheese.

You are probably not eating enough protein with your breakfast and that will lead to hunger throughout the day. Toast with cream cheese is still like 85% carb, 15% protein. If you shift those ratios you WILL feel better. Can you eat cottage cheese? Friendship has a very good one - low fat "whipped" - its my favorite and its got 16 grams of protein in 1/2 cup. I also eat Amy's veggie burgers with 1 serving of cottage cheese for breakfast. You could also try high fiber cereal or oatmeal with 1 egg. Or continue to have your toast and cream cheese, but add some lean meat. In summary, you don't want to go extreme protein, but try to get 30% of your calories as protein with each meal.

One last thing - we are not allowed to share links or emails on this board so its impossible to show you any info outside of this forum (result is getting banned). I build a custom spreadsheet that tracks all my food consumption, calories, and my protein, carb, fat ratios. I would be lost without it... It keeps me on track

Old 06-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks again, jdimassimo. I always seem to learn a lot from your posts. I don't usually like cottage cheese (my DH loves it though) but your Friendship whipped sounds interesting. It isn't actually the taste of cottage cheese that I find offensive but the texture so the whipped variety would be perfect for me.

I admire your discipline in drinking only water. I was able to do that a few years ago and then a diet drink here and coffee there slowly did me in. I do try to drink some but not nearly enough.

It was my gynocologist who told me to stay away from soy products right now. I had to have a D & C to stop bleeding and since I am peri-menopausal and have fluctuating hormones anyway she said to leave them alone right now. I was eating a lot. I was having a soy protein shake every morning for breakfast and using a lot of TVP. I sometimes had another shake as well in the evening for a snack. I probably was over doing it. I don't think an occasional bag of the soy chips would be too bad for me even in my doctors opinion so I will definitely give them a try. At least I will have something to replace my baked Lay's.

Thanks also for advising me about the link situation. I post links a lot in different forums so it is good to be aware not to do it here. I think there are several of those sites where you can post your diet and exercise plan and I can see how it would be beneficial to be able to look back and see exactly what you were doing that worked or didn't work. I may give that a try myself.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
    itismefl
    (female)

itismefl HB User

Use Salmon Oil 2 capsules a day. Not Fish Oil, specifically Salmon oil

Dropped my trygl. 200 points in 3 months.

Closed Thread